What are these relays for?!?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed

1.) The seat belt buzzer - now sounding good after changing out ;)

2.) Circuit breaker for the stop-light/brake-light - functional

3.) Rear windows defroster relay - functional

4.) Turn signal relay - now functional after changing out

5.) Headlights 'on' relay - for reminding you of your headlights when you stop the engine and open the door

I did not think that there is a relay for the headlights in our car. I have installed a relay-kit for H4-bulbs in the front which enlightens the headlights and high beam much more than before. If I let this relay connected it switches too but it makes no difference in function if not connected. Before the installation I had the feeling by cruising at night that the old relay switches by it's own from time to time, making weird switching noises and the light was flickering so I had decided to install the plug-and-play relay-kit in the front.

What do you think about it?

6.) Automatic seat latch release relay - snap off automatically if ignition is off and the doors will be opened

It made the seat latch on the passengers side moving by itself when I switched the lights on with the old relay so I disconnected it first. That drives me crazy and was very weird. I think that I had the passengers door opened too. How does the so called automatic seat control work? Is there a automatic release on the drivers seat too?

Thank you very much,

Tim

EDIT: Updated the functions of the relays...

Last edited by a moderator:
6.) Automatic seat release?!?

It made the seat latch on the passengers side moving by itself when I switched the lights on with the old relay so I disconnected it first. That drives me crazy and was very weird. I think that I had the passengers door opened too. How does the so called automatic seat control work? Is there a automatic release on the drivers seat too?

Thank you very much,

Tim
Since Jbojo corrected me on this I know how it properly works now to comment. The automatic seat back release is supposed to trigger when you open the door, there should be one for both sides of the car. I found in mine that the drivers side had been removed. It's supposed to release the seat back when you open the door so that you don't have to use the lever.

Since Jbojo corrected me on this I know how it properly works now to comment. The automatic seat back release is supposed to trigger when you open the door, there should be one for both sides of the car. I found in mine that the drivers side had been removed. It's supposed to release the seat back when you open the door so that you don't have to use the lever.
Aha, that does establish some clarity to it, thank you! So the seat latch is supposed to automatically release if the door is opened by somebody and if closed it locks the seat back? Wow - what a technical marvel this old muscle car was...

I believe that #2 is for the key reminder buzzer and #5 is for the headlights on reminder. Not 100% certain so it would be great for some other confirmation.

-jbojo

Aha, that does establish some clarity to it, thank you! So the seat latch is supposed to automatically release if the door is opened by somebody and if closed it locks the seat back? Wow - what a technical marvel this old muscle car was...
Close. It never locks anything, you can always pop the seat forward using the manual latch release. It only unlocks though. I don't know if it works when the engine is running or not though, I'd have to look at the wiring diagram a little closer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that #2 is for the key reminder buzzer and #5 is for the headlights on reminder. Not 100% certain so it would be great for some other confirmation.

-jbojo
Ok, good plausible ideas, thank you - never heard any buzzing from them though but that would say nothing - some other confirmation?

Close. It never locks anything, you can always pop the seat forward using the manual latch release. It only unlocks though. I don't know if it works when the engine is running or not though, I'd have to look at the wiring diagram a little closer
Thank you - I did not know that this even exists, cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the door is opened the seat back solenoid energize so that the passenger for the back seat can push the front seatback fwd without having to bend over and manually use the lever. It was part of the convenience group option. This will activate anytime the doors are opened. With the doors closed the back passengers can still manually release the seat back as MechEng mentioned.

On a side note I found a list of the buzzers, CB's and relays that are located on the relay panel above the glove box

*Key warning and headlight "on" buzzer

*Headlights "on" relay

*Seat belt warning buzzer

*Auto seatback release relay

*Turn signal flasher

*Stoplight circuit breaker

Note some of these items are multi purpose, buzzer for example.

-jbojo

For number 2.) I found this:

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/13807-Circuit-Breaker-Stop-Light-15-AMP-Used-1971-1973-Mercury-Cougar-Ford-Mustang.html

That's the one which is exactly in there - interesting that they installed a relay for the stop-/brake-light. Is this a common technique?

If the door is opened the seat back solenoid energize so that the passenger for the back seat can push the front seatback fwd without having to bend over and manually use the lever. It was part of the convenience group option. This will activate anytime the doors are opened. With the doors closed the back passengers can still manually release the seat back as MechEng mentioned.

On a side note I found a list of the buzzers, CB's and relays that are located on the relay panel above the glove box

*Headlights "on" relay

*Turn signal flasher

-jbojo
Thanks for clarify! So I think all are assigned now except number 5.).

I think number 5.) is more of a relay type than a buzzer. What does this 'Headlights "on" relay' effect?

Good thread since I had the same question but just hadn't got to this yet...

When I bought my car it was in pieces and was not able to drive or test anything electronic. My dash front is now all removed and I can see and get to all these relays. For the "electronically challenged" is there an easy way to test these so I can replace if need be while apart??

Thanks All

For number 2.) I found this:

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/13807-Circuit-Breaker-Stop-Light-15-AMP-Used-1971-1973-Mercury-Cougar-Ford-Mustang.html

That's the one which is exactly in there - interesting that they installed a relay for the stop-/brake-light. Is this a common technique?

*Headlights "on" relay

*Turn signal flasher

-jbojo
Thanks for clarify! So I think all are assigned now except number 5.).

I think number 5.) is more of a relay type than a buzzer. What does this 'Headlights "on" relay' effect?
If you have your lights on and the motor is off if you open the door it energizes this relay which then sets off the buzzer to let you know that the headlights are still on.

-jbojo

Good thread since I had the same question but just hadn't got to this yet...

When I bought my car it was in pieces and was not able to drive or test anything electronic. My dash front is now all removed and I can see and get to all these relays. For the "electronically challenged" is there an easy way to test these so I can replace if need be while apart??

Thanks All
Jeff,

Do you have the wiring schematics? I usually use that to track down the electrical issues. It was invaluable when I first powered up the car. I had lights, buzzers not working and it helped me isolate those issues. Only thing not working for me right now is the emergency flasher and I just haven't gotten around to replacing the flasher unit yet. Let me know if you need help and I'll see if I can help.

-jbojo

If you have your lights on and the motor is off if you open the door it energizes this relay which then sets off the buzzer to let you know that the headlights are still on.

-jbojo
That sounds plausible, thanks! So I will check it's function out these days...

Tim

For the "electronically challenged" is there an easy way to test these so I can replace if need be while apart??

Thanks All
It is not as easy as going through the wiring scheme and check their functions by testing them for what they were originally intended for. To test them with a multimeter you have to know which contacts on the relay are the operation contacts and which for the coil. The relays in our mustangs have all different contacts...

Here is a small tutorial for standard relays:

Tim

what is that panel screwed to? or do you have a picture of it installed. I am putting my dash back together and cannot figure out where that bolts. I know its behind the glove box but not sure what it attaches to....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what is that panel screwed to? or do you have a picture of it installed. I am putting my dash back together and cannot figure out where that bolts. I know its behind the glove box but not sure what it attaches to....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back