Hood spring removal installation tool

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
I have been finishing up some work to return the mustang to the road. before reinstalling the hood I need to replace the hinges which were very sloppy. I bought some used replacement ones and they are nice and tight. But I wanted my flat springs swapped onto the replacement hinges.

So I made a tool out of an old clamp, by reversing the head and cutting it down and putting a spring pocket on one end and a notch in the other

phone 136.jpg

phone 138.jpg

phone 141.jpg

worked like a charm pull it open to hook the end of the spring onto the notch on one side and the pocket at the other end and then tap open with a hammer, remove spring still on the tool. use release on bottom of reversed clamp head to allow spring to release onto hinge. Took longer to type than to perform-twice.

It works so well you can perform the work with the hinge mounted in a vice or just in your bare hands with the end of the tool resting on the ground

I use a v-belt. With the hinge securely mounted on the car or in a vice, loop it over one end of the spring and pull. Takes only a second.

I put gloves on and he-man it.
I quit doing it that way after walking funny for a few days afterwards :(
Iz'zat with or without the pink undies??

I mean lace & all would tend to make me walk funny.

Jeff the tool idea is cool, however on this just loop something over the hook end of the spring and stretch a bit.

(Yesterday 10:26 AM)caspianwendell Wrote:

(Yesterday 12:11 AM)Totalled Wrote:

I put gloves on and he-man it.

I quit doing it that way after walking funny for a few days afterwards Sad

Iz'zat with or without the pink undies??

I mean lace & all would tend to make me walk funny

Oh your real funny...truth is I have strained my groin so many times I started to enjoy it...decided it's time to be old and careful

I use a v-belt. With the hinge securely mounted on the car or in a vice, loop it over one end of the spring and pull. Takes only a second.
I have heard of using a v belt possible if you get some time to post a few pictures of the process AYP Thanks

Back