Difference in motor mounts for 73?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71steed

Reaction score
My Car
66 GT coupe
67 GTA convertible
69 Fastback, Boss 429 clone
69 GT coupe
71 Sports coupe
71 Mach 1
73 Mach 1
I have a few sets of motor mounts, for 302's and 351's. In all my years of taking these big ponies apart, I never noticed that there is a difference in the motor mounts for 73's. I have some pics of the body mounts that I will upload and hopefully someone can point out the 73's from the 72's.

351's;

SANY0039.JPG

SANY0040.JPG

302's;

SANY0036.JPG

SANY0037.JPG

SANY0038.JPG

This is bothering me. In the thread, Don made a point that if the convertibles used a different perch in order for the driveshaft to clear the lower transmission tunnel support plate, then the verts should use the shorter perches to raise up the tail shaft of the tranny, not lower it. Also, cars with ram air...would the perch height make a difference in the seal of the gasket to the plenum? The main reason for my asking is that I plan on putting these up for sale and I don't want to cause any problems for an "uneducated buyer" who doesn't know the difference and ends up on this forum asking the same question. No part numbers on these.

I concur with TommyK's pics that those are 73 vert engine frame mounts.

Bob, It looks to me like the engine frame mount on the right side in your pics is for a non-vert 351C. The one on the left, I don't know what that one is.

These are pics of the motor mounts from my 73 vert prior to removal.

They are now on a shelf in the garage. I can take more pics tonight if needed.
I notice that they don't have the "hooks". What engine were they attached to? Did you reuse them on your 460?

351C

I tried using them for the 460 but they were a hair too short which resulted in the bolt holes not quite lining up. I considered making some plates to raise them off the cross member slightly but opted to get the correct 429/460 mounts from Mustangs Unlimited.

The convertible brackets have the flat ledge at the upper most section of the mount, its about a 1/2" wide flat area that's next to the first slopped section.

As stated by others lowering the front raises the back. It does this by pivoting on the trans mount.

I'll check assemble drawings for allowences or differences in the ram air section that make up this lowering.

I checked the assembly manual. It does not specify a different air cleaner or a different hood seal for the convertible with ram air. I did notice that the diameter of the 73 fans were smaller than prior years.

Back