Sprint FB 2 Mach 1 clone. Whats it worth?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback (Factory sprint, but now a bright red Mach 1)
351c 2v(big ol cam, holley dominator intake, roller set, edelbrock 4bbl)

fmx
WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK?

I was curious as to how much my mustang is worth given its abnormal specification.

It was a 1972 Sprint car only about 3000 made the way that it is.

Previous owner wanted a mach 1 so he painted it and added stripes and spoiler and replaced the interior.

Today it has:

-"Arrest me" red paint with all mach1 decals and matte black paint. the paint is a "10-footer"

-Black standard interior that is OK, but not great maybe an 8/10

-Stock FMX/351c 2v with pro level bottom end, a cam, an edelbrock performer intake, a carter 4v carb, long tube headers and roller rockers.

-Power Steering, Pwr Disc Brakes, Non AC

-Magnum 500s

-Mach 1 Grille

-Gas shocks

THE REST IS STOCK AND WORKS PROPERLY

Id say its worth around 9000 but i dont know. All input appreciated:)

THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you ever get the idle issues resolved? If it is now running properly, I'd say your price estimate is probably pretty close. IMNSHO Being a Sprint isn't going to add value to a Mach 1 clone-the cost to return it to a Sprint would make it an unrealistic candidate for a restoration. So what you have is a nice driveable fastback made into a Mach 1 clone. I've seen similar as cheap as $5750 (I really wish I'd had the money for that one.) and prices up to the moon.

So so paint jobs and so so interiors are great for folks your age who don't mind driving a car with some character -but the cost to repaint or redo the interior is generally not much different than it would be for a somewhat rougher car (not including necessary body work or rust repair of course.)

Your market and mine are going to be different-I hope my rambling is at least helpful

Too bad it was converted from a fastbcak v-8 Sprint, a relatively collectible and somewhat rare model to a mach 1 replica...which has basically no added intrinsic value over the original car.

I prefer the term "replica" as opposed to "clone", for the reason that a "clone" to me needs to be an EXACT 100% recreation of the original. The only acceptable difference to me would be the non-numbers matching VIN...a neccesity of course.

There are many cars I've seen called clones that are little more than some dceals and wheels. Obviously not authentic from 50 feet away.

There are some very nice clones out there: BOSS 302s and BOSS 429s, early GT-350s, etc...and there is nothing wrong with having them to enjoy. But the good ones are expensive.

A simple 6cylinder stripped 71 fastback with Mach 1 decals on it is nothing I would call a clone.

Did you ever get the idle issues resolved? If it is now running properly, I'd say your price estimate is probably pretty close. IMNSHO Being a Sprint isn't going to add value to a Mach 1 clone-the cost to return it to a Sprint would make it an unrealistic candidate for a restoration. So what you have is a nice driveable fastback made into a Mach 1 clone. I've seen similar as cheap as $5750 (I really wish I'd had the money for that one.) and prices up to the moon.

So so paint jobs and so so interiors are great for folks your age who don't mind driving a car with some character -but the cost to repaint or redo the interior is generally not much different than it would be for a somewhat rougher car (not including necessary body work or rust repair of course.)

Your market and mine are going to be different-I hope my rambling is at least helpful
Thanks for remembering that i forgot to say that i found out the pcv valve was shot. I bought a new one and now have no more problem. HOORAYYY!!

::chili::

Im fixing the disc brakes now. The pads on them were so shot that on one side the pad was all the way down to the rivets. It was then when i saw that the marianas trench had been dug in the rotor. I got them machined with new calipers, pads and bearings. I'm putting them on tonight.

By the way, NO RUST.

Bad PCV valve = vacuum leak aka "I'm right" lol

These cars seem to be rising in value-I hope you will hold onto it, though being young doesn't always lend to the ability to keep multiple cars.
YOU WERE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, THANK YOU. :cool:

Im saving up some money for a beater daily driver. Ive got $650 so far.

What should i get? Something that drives legally is pretty much all that matters to me for now.

Ill be keeping the stang for as long as i can.:p

Back