73 ford shop manuals?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revrabb05

Reaction score
My Car
Ford ranger
What is the consensus on the 73 shop manuals? Would they be worth buying for someone new like myself? Do they cover sheet metal/ structural issues, or are they mostly on the mechanical side of things? I'm really looking for something that will help me walk through my restoration without bugging you gentlemen too much. Thanks guys!

The links that Jeff posted do a much better job of covering body and body assembly issues. The shop manuals really cover the mechanical systems, really anything on the car that ISNT the body and frame components. So if you get both (which is what I did) you can basically assemble a car from nothing but pieces and get it all tuned right.

They do cover all aspects of our Mustangs in detail but from issue to issue it is a bit difficult to locate a specific screw for example so you have to do a little additional searching or questioning in the web too.

But there is no better detailed literature about our cars out there so it is definitely worth buying it. They give a lot of technical information too. The so called "Restauration Guides" out there are not the same quality and mostly very sketchy.

Tim

The links that Jeff posted do a much better job of covering body and body assembly issues. The shop manuals really cover the mechanical systems, really anything on the car that ISNT the body and frame components. So if you get both (which is what I did) you can basically assemble a car from nothing but pieces and get it all tuned right.
Uh - did not know that - seems to be a good addition to my shop manuals and some other stuff, cool! Learaning never stops...

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my 73 shop manuals a lot and think you would get a lot of use out of them; of course any supplemental books would help.

Here are a couple of pics from my 73 manuals for an overview:

I have these manuals too and they are really good. You can get them cheaper if you get the CD but I prefer the hard copy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/73-Mustang-Torino-factory-shop-manual-set-/121072978799?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c30830b6f&vxp=mtr

-jbojo
I have them on CD (Well digital download) and I hate it! Sure the PDF is nice because it's searchable, but I don't keep a computer in my garage normally so I have to run back and forth. I have the Viewer App on my iPad and it's so slow and unresponsive as to be useless.

I'm going to pick up a set of paper ones next time I'm at the Pomona Swap Meet

I consider the shop manuals and assembly manuals as invaluable for restoration and maintenance. Over the decades they have saved me thousands since I can do the work myself and do it correctly the first time (well, at least +95% of time when I take the time to understand what I'm reading!)

Back