A long overdue custom paint scheme...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
Le Mans, anyone?

2e5ml2a.jpg

It's rather curious how the '73 grill echos the GT40's air dam:

2006_ford_gt_by_thexrealxbanks-d6d6p5u.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Mustang is Photoshopped. 2 hours worth of work. Still doesn't look realistic enough, IMO.

Should have dropped it a few inches too.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
you gotta do the mirrors orange,just my 2 cent's worth..

Brad

3k73

Would look better with a flat hood.
I considered it, and disposed of the idea. The recesses in the flat hood do not compliment the narrow width of the Gulf stripe. On the other hand, the NACA scoops frame the stripe perfectly and give a nod to the split radiator extractor scoops found on some of the GT40s.

-Kurt

I have thought of this many times as I love the gulf color scheme.

Here's some food for thought (and maybe a challenge for someone with the skills):

What would a standard 71-72 Mach 1 paint scheme look like? Blue car, orange lower rockers, hockey stripes and hood "black out" (orange out? :) )

Looks okay , i would make the stripe in the middle a bit wider and the door decal a bit larger...

What would a standard 71-72 Mach 1 paint scheme look like? Blue car, orange lower rockers, hockey stripes and hood "black out" (orange out? :) )
Sounds corny, but I'll give it a shot. Orange tu-tone with black pinstriping.

-Kurt

Would look better with a flat hood.
I considered it, and disposed of the idea. The recesses in the flat hood do not compliment the narrow width of the Gulf stripe. On the other hand, the NACA scoops frame the stripe perfectly and give a nod to the split radiator extractor scoops found on some of the GT40s.

-Kurt
Funny, I was tbinking just the opposite: the wider center section of the flat hood would allow a wider center stripe. The Gulf car has a wider center stripe.

Looks great nonetheless, you did a great job there!

I'm sure Ford could have pedaled a few mire out the door if they had offered a "Gulf Special" edition.

The stupid decal-only "Twister Specials" sure seem to have a rabid following. A decal on each side as the only "extra" is not so special to me.

Yes, each Twister has a unique VIN...just like every other car.
Kit, I think he's asking if there was something unique in the VIN to designate it as a Twister special. I think it's safe to assume that everyone here knows every car gets a unique VIN due to the sequential build number at the end.

Yeah, just trying be funny.

No, there is nothing in the VIN that designates it as a Twistet other than its numerical sequence.

There have been many "paint & decal" limited edition cars over the years and none have impressed me.

If there is some unique physical characteristic...wheels, upholstery, spoilers, color combos, performance additions, etc...I could see it. But to slap a decal on the side of the car and call it "special" never impressed me much..( Shania? Is that you?)

Latest posts

Back