First Car Show

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang Mach 1, 429CJ, J Code SOLD 3/2016

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
From Kim Miller Collection
I entered my car in a car show today. It was a Rotary Club fund raiser at the Humble, TX Civic Center. This was my first car so I was not expecting much. I had to decide what class since my car could be judged with the 64 to 78 Ford Mustang class or the 64 to 71 Muscle Car class. They suggested I go with the Muscle Car class so that was what I did.

There were about 50-60 cars total with a lot of very nicely restored cars. When it came time for the awards I waited to see how my car came out. Never heard my name so it was a bit of a let down. A 69 Hemi Roadrunner won the Muscle Car class. All the judges categories received a nice plaque.

I was about to turn to leave when they announced.....now what you have all been waiting for....the Best of Show award. And the award goes to a 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1 belonging to, yep...belonging to me! I was truly stunned because I did not realize there was a best of show. That award got a trophy.

Needless to say I went home very happy as a winner the first time out with my car at a judged show. Even if I had not won anything I had so much fun talking to people about my car. Learned a lot about how to show a car with some cool display ideas and also learned some things not to do.

I did make note from just listening to people talking about my car that few, actually none of the spectators knew what year or what Mustang era mine was from. The worst thing that happened was having a younger spectator lean on my car. I literally stopped in mid sentence to handle that situation.

Just a little protective I guess! I :heart:my car!

Awesome! These big ponies have aged perfectly, better I think than the other years. These cars are very popular with those that are not just Mustang fans...it reaches out to all kinds of muscle heads!

And who could'nt love that big silver Cobra Jet!

Hmmm. A big "silver" horse, an LEO background, deep in Texas...

Mike...you ARE the "Lone Ranger"!

Awesome! These big ponies have aged perfectly, better I think than the other years. These cars are very popular with those that are not just Mustang fans...it reaches out to all kinds of muscle heads!

And who could'nt love that big silver Cobra Jet!

Hmmm. A big "silver" horse, an LEO background, deep in Texas...

Mike...you ARE the "Lone Ranger"!
Yeah I guess so. I was in a long row of late model Mustangs and got to talking to the guy next to me. This was his second show. We finally got around to talking about work. He said he had retired fro HPD last year after 30 years. I had to tell him that I was at 39 years and still working! We both got a good laugh since we worked for same department but never crossed paths. We both said "small world" at the same time and laughed again!

It was just a great day for me.

"Best in Show" and "People's Choice" trophies are always my favorites to win. It shows that your car is a crowd pleaser overall...not because you have it concourse-correct or equipped with some ultra-rare options...just a kick-ass car in general.

Of course, my car has so many miles, and so many little "deviations" on it that it really cant compete well agsinst a nice low-mileage original. So..."BiS" and "PC" are typically what my car wins, if it wins anything.

I was once at a show in Bradenton, Fl and parked next to me was an original-owner BOSS 351, purchased brand new about 10 miles away at the lical Ford store about 40 years ago.

The old guy who owned it had everything: every reciept, dealer paper, contract, etc...you could possibly imagine.

Low miles ( less than 20,000), all original, even tires!

That car was awesome,,,even still had that distinctive "new car smell" from 40 years ago!

I chatted with the old guy while there, we each walked each others csrs, scrutinizing them. To me, his car was a dream...how awesome to once again have an actual "new" 71!

He was polite about my car, but I could tell he was taking mental note about the hundreds of little "flaws" on it as compared to his.

As the show went on, my car got tons of lookers, his...not so much. Why?

Simple, my car is bright red and black, with gleaming after-market chrome, and repro Magnums, also with flawless chrome. The suspension is a little higher, and wuth bigger wheels it just sits a little "tougher". Red, black and chrome is an eye catcher, for sure.

His car, medium lime with argent tutone...really not that attractive. Original Magnums...meaning cloudy chrome and visible machine marks. Stock suspension and tires, looks anemic and weak ( to a casual observer, anyway) next to mine.

He was clearly expecting to win his category, to add to the dozens if trophies he had displayed with his car.

He didnt win anything.

I won 1st place 70-73, and People's Choice.

He was so pissed he ignored me...would'nt say a single word. Packed his shit and left in a huff. I kind of felt bad for the guy ( just a little) his car was awesome and should have one 1st place 70-73...but it didnt.

Red and black...people love it!

Congratulations on your win!!!

I usually show in the 64-77 Mustang class or in the 71-77 Mustang class, depends on what they have.

At the Mustang club shows, I show in the stock/personalized, which is stock car with minor upgrades, and its judged for fit/finish?, and cleanliness, by the club Judges.

sent from my Samsung SIII via TapTalk

Congrats.

Mine has never won anything and I don't think it ever will.

In the muscle car department it's always some kind of 68-69 Charger that takes the trophy and in the Mustang department it is usually some red 67-68 convertible.

"Best in Show" and "People's Choice" trophies are always my favorites to win. It shows that your car is a crowd pleaser overall...not because you have it concourse-correct or equipped with some ultra-rare options...just a kick-ass car in general.

Of course, my car has so many miles, and so many little "deviations" on it that it really cant compete well agsinst a nice low-mileage original. So..."BiS" and "PC" are typically what my car wins, if it wins anything.

I was once at a show in Bradenton, Fl and parked next to me was an original-owner BOSS 351, purchased brand new about 10 miles away at the lical Ford store about 40 years ago.

The old guy who owned it had everything: every reciept, dealer paper, contract, etc...you could possibly imagine.

Low miles ( less than 20,000), all original, even tires!

That car was awesome,,,even still had that distinctive "new car smell" from 40 years ago!

I chatted with the old guy while there, we each walked each others csrs, scrutinizing them. To me, his car was a dream...how awesome to once again have an actual "new" 71!

He was polite about my car, but I could tell he was taking mental note about the hundreds of little "flaws" on it as compared to his.

As the show went on, my car got tons of lookers, his...not so much. Why?

Simple, my car is bright red and black, with gleaming after-market chrome, and repro Magnums, also with flawless chrome. The suspension is a little higher, and wuth bigger wheels it just sits a little "tougher". Red, black and chrome is an eye catcher, for sure.

His car, medium lime with argent tutone...really not that attractive. Original Magnums...meaning cloudy chrome and visible machine marks. Stock suspension and tires, looks anemic and weak ( to a casual observer, anyway) next to mine.

He was clearly expecting to win his category, to add to the dozens if trophies he had displayed with his car.

He didnt win anything.

I won 1st place 70-73, and People's Choice.

He was so pissed he ignored me...would'nt say a single word. Packed his shit and left in a huff. I kind of felt bad for the guy ( just a little) his car was awesome and should have one 1st place 70-73...but it didnt.

Red and black...people love it!
Darn Kit, did you at least make him an offer on that old looser Boss 1? You are right he should have won. People at car shows sometime just don't have the knowledge of what history they are looking at.

He really should not have been mad at you though. No mater what you have to have class and respect all cars and decisions made at a show. At this point in my life I am just glad to be alive and glad I have the Mustang I always wanted. That is enough for me.

His car was damn nice for sure, but just not an attractive or popular color combo. He wasn't rude to me

He just didnt talk to me, or anyone after the awards were handed out.

Some people like the admiration from onlookers and the occasional trophy or plaque is a nice momento from the event.

Others are serious about winning and take great offense if they feel they have been slighted. Those guys are the whiners and bitchers you see at shows.

When I see a guy and his wife show up at 8am, him shining up the exhaust tips, her polishing the lugnuts, together spending a couple hours perfecting the appearance...I know it annoys those kind when I drive up and park the car, leave it a little dirty, pop the hood, sit in my chair and suck back some cold ones, watching them do the work.

They often just shake thier heads in silent contempt for someone who would dare display such an unsanitized car,

My car is and has always been a "driver"...not a museum piece wrapped in plastic,

That guys perfect BOSS 351 may have "nicer" than mine, but I guarantee that my car has turned its tires in anger at far more dragstrips and street races than his car ever did,

Isn't that what they were made for?

Potential is awesome...unrealized potential is a colossal waste.

Last edited:
Awesome recognition for your car...enjoy it for what it is - spectacular!! Having participated in car shows since the early 70's allows me to tell you that is very special recognition!

The rest of us share your pride and are a bit envious....hope to see it some time !

Way to go, I too won best of show at my first judged show. Congrats on the award and I hope you have many more coming.Jeff72Rcode

Back