Sequential tail lights - best I've seen so far...

Flatback72

Skeet76:

Thanks for your reply.

I must have misunderstood. I was thinkinking (hoping) that I could get the flasher unit for $20 and use it with original taillights.

Mike

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skeet76:

Thanks for your reply.

I must have misunderstood. I was thinkinking (hoping) that I could get the flasher unit for $20 and use it with original taillights.

Mike

Mike,

My apologies, I thought you were referring to the led lights, not the flasher. 

Yes, the sell the flasher by itself. Did you just replace the incandescent bulbs with the LED's?

Here's a post I found helpful, just in case:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-led-lights-and-flashers-polarity-matters

Thanks Eric!

I checked the instructions, and didn't see any way to have the brake lights come on all at once while the turn & hazards remain sequential, sorry.

The LED's are all red, so the reverse portion of the lens shines red. There are separate white LED's on the panels for the reverse lights.

Hope this helps  :)

Steve

It does - thanks!  Now the big question: when the reverse lights are on, and the brake is engaged, do the red LEDs in the reverse light area stay lit, or do they shut off [while the reverse lights are on]?  Probably a dumb question, because that would mean the reverse lights would be pink.

Unfortunately, I can't answer that at this time. One of the previous owners shoehorned the 351W, and 4 speed top loader in this car, and forgot, or just didn't bother hooking the reverse lights up. And I have just let it go...yes I know...I'm a slacker   :whistling:

Stuff happens, and getting all the final details taken care of can actually take longer than the big jobs - I've been stalled on many of the final details of my projects for several years now.  Thanks for all the info you've provided so far - I think I might be in the market for a set of these (after I get a couple of more pressing things done, that is - I still need to get the new RCCI console clock installed and settle up with The Rocketman, for instance - which is my new priority, if the weather would only cooperate).

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

You're welcome! I'm glad this forum is available & we can all help each other.

I hear that! I took mine for a drive after I got everything buttoned up on these, and my next project presented itself...as one of the other threads was titled...'The dreaded heater core" yikes haha

Here is a video of my lights after I finished...

skeet76:

No worries, after I posted I thought my  question might not have been clear.

I haven't replaced the incandescent bulbs yet, I am thinking about it though. Thanks for the link.

In regards to my original question, I'm still unclear as to if I need a flasher for each side.

Thanks again,

Mike

One flasher runs both sides of the turn signals. A separate flasher for the hazard lights (all four flashing).

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Skeet76:

Thanks for your reply.

Mike

Mike,

My apologies, I thought you were referring to the led lights, not the flasher. 

Yes, the sell the flasher by itself. Did you just replace the incandescent bulbs with the LED's?

Here's a post I found helpful, just in case:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-led-lights-and-flashers-polarity-matters

One flasher runs both sides of the turn signals. A separate flasher for the hazard lights (all four flashing).

Don,

That's what I wanted to hear!

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

just wondering if someone has installed this lately? it was mentioned about the 4 way flasher.. i didn't know there was a second flasher or did i get that wrong and we only have one flasher ?????? also with install is just the rear panel removed and replaced with new or remove the whole thing to install. my car is in sleepy winter time and covered and to lazy to uncover and open trunk.

Yes, two separate flasher units, one for turn signals and one for the hazards.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Yes, two separate flasher units, one for turn signals and one for the hazards.

One flasher is by fuse box, the second one is on the back side of the metal tray inside the glove box where the glove box lamp would mount.

Both of the flashers in my '73 were behind the glove box liner. Hazard flasher just to the inside left, & the turn signal was hanging from above, just right of center.

You will have to remove both tail light assemblies, and pry the lens from the plastic housing, and basically sandwich the LED panels in between them. The kit comes with a 'cut to fit' seal that adheres to the inside edge of the housing. This seal is different from the light assembly to body seal.

This is also the perfect time to get all of the factory goop cleaned off & put fresh tail light to body seals on.

I just used a hair dryer to warm up the factory glue, & an old thinned down metal scraper to gently start prying them apart.

I'll try to post some pics of the install instructions a little later.