Clock doesn't work...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My center console clock isn't working. It's never worked since I've owned the car myself. Any thing I can check within the clock and or replace? I havent checked the voltage wire that goes into the clock but I assume it's probably within the clock. When I shake it I hear a rattle. I am going to open it up but wanted to see if anyone has experience with this....otherwise does anyone have an extra original one, that works, for sale?

20140326_164536.jpg

normally the 2 coils inside the clock burn up after years of service.

I repaired mine when I bought the clock (I used parts off my 77 cougars clock) it worked for 3 years, and the replacement coils I used are now burnt up.

I might end up doing the quartz conversion in the future.

I've fixed several over the past thirty years. 80% had pitted contacts. Filing with an ignition file corrected most. The ones with burnt coils I skipped over. Rather easy to work on, just be gentle.

what always murders the clock is when the car sits, the clock is running and the battery runs down unless its on a battery tender. right before the voltage goes under 12 volts.

the battery is low enough that the points get stuck closed due to low voltage and then the coil overheats and blows and the clock is dead.

99% of the time the coil is burned at the surface right on the top coil. so with effort you can pull the clock apart, then identify the break in the coil, un-wind one turn enough to make a bridge to the connector then solder the wire back restoring the coil. then the points need to be filed and the clock oiled.

there is also a way to adjust the clock to make it keep time better. mine is off by hours in a few days.

reminds me i really need to service my clock its been like 8 years :(

My console clock doesn't work either, I figure it's just one less thing to drain the battery when it's setting for days or weeks at a time, but I don't wear a watch either.

what always murders the clock is when the car sits, the clock is running and the battery runs down unless its on a battery tender. right before the voltage goes under 12 volts.

the battery is low enough that the points get stuck closed due to low voltage and then the coil overheats and blows and the clock is dead.

99% of the time the coil is burned at the surface right on the top coil. so with effort you can pull the clock apart, then identify the break in the coil, un-wind one turn enough to make a bridge to the connector then solder the wire back restoring the coil. then the points need to be filed and the clock oiled.

there is also a way to adjust the clock to make it keep time better. mine is off by hours in a few days.

reminds me i really need to service my clock its been like 8 years :(
I thought the clocks were self adjusting, every time you reset the

clock it is supposed to "learn" and keep better time. I set mine maybe

twice a month and never more than a couple of minutes.

mike

They don't learn. They do have a faster/slower adjustment on the inside. The 12 volts energizes a magnetic coil every couple minutes to wind the movement spring. The twelve volt circuit is completed by a small contact in the clock. So if the contact is not clean, the power can't energize the coil and wind the spring. Hope that helps.

Rocketman, your web site indicates you don't do the quartz update on the console clock. Is this accurate?
Yes. Unfortunately the console clocks use a different set mechanism. ISI (the supplier of 99% of the quartz movements out there) has some proprietary parts they install during the conversion to make the set mechanism work. They will not sell them to vendors so all console clocks have to go to them for conversion. Last I knew they were charging about $150 plus shipping.

Rocketman, your web site indicates you don't do the quartz update on the console clock. Is this accurate?
Yes. Unfortunately the console clocks use a different set mechanism. ISI (the supplier of 99% of the quartz movements out there) has some proprietary parts they install during the conversion to make the set mechanism work. They will not sell them to vendors so all console clocks have to go to them for conversion. Last I knew they were charging about $150 plus shipping.
After talking to several different companies I chose Clock Works and was very happy with the results. All-in shipping, conversion and new lens was $207. Took just under 3 weeks from that date I shipped it until I received it back. A little bit pricy but I am very happy that it looks and works like new and shouldn't ever need repair or worrying about the battery being hooked up, etc. causing problems.

Clock Works

1745 Meta Lakes Rd.

Eagle River, WI 54521

Phone: 715-479-5759

http://WWW.CLOCKWKS.COM

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad idea. I just may get creative and do a switch or something for mine so it doesn't drain my battery too bad. Though I do drive the car weekly. I wouldn't think it would drain that bad if it only sits for three to four days.

Back