1971 1972 1973 Mustang fastback wind down quarter window conversion (tutorial)

Nice write up. I did this to my Mach 1 a couple years ago. Easy modification if you don't mind drilling a hole in your interior panel for the crank.

FE177109-A1-C8-4-A6-C-9224-AACCFD66-C3-C9.png

Rick Bombard

1971 Grabber Green Mach 1 351C 4V

2013 Race Red California Special Convertible

1973 Medium Copper Metallic Convertible 302 4V     SOLD

1953 F-100 SOLD

• 1 year later...

VERY well done. Thank you for taking the time to develop and post the process. Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I had read here and there that the quarter window swap was possible but found very little info on the net on what was actually required. Even though it's a very easy modification, with no documentation available the task seemed very daunting to me not really knowing what parts were needed and what work was involved, especially with me living on the other side of the world to where all the spare parts are! In my opinion this is one of the best mods that a person can do to a fastback and hopefully this tutorial has inspired others to add the same coolness factor to their own car :cool:

Brett

phonestang2.jpg

• 11 months later...

That looks like a great and easy converion, too bad Ford didn't do it from the factory.

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Crap, I have everything but the stops....

1972 H-code Mach1

2010 GT Premium

2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T

1995 F150- The "home depot" machine

2012 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra

I did this conversion to the '71 a few months ago based on your guide (and with parts from forum member BigBlue) - thanks again!

FYI - a word to the wise for anyone doing the conversion: If your outer or inner quarter lower weatherstripping is in poor shape or dryrotted, figure on replacing it when you do this job. You'll have a heck of a time winding your windows through the gap otherwise.

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

I did mine (after getting a few crucial unobtainium parts from Don at OMS), and still need to get things aligned so they operate smoothly - they're really tight, but work as advertised for the most part.

Fortunately, life doesn't depend on these things to work perfectly (as they are fixed from the factory), so getting them lined up and working well should be a fairly quick and easy spring project (we actually have cold and rainy/frozen stuff on the weekends right now... it's weird...).

Nice write up, Brett! ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

This was my one and only aesthetic mod. Worked great! Super fun! Got all the parts I needed from a fellow member.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, you sure as Hell don't have time to do it right the second time.

Dutch uncle

Great job in the instructions much better than most manuals. I have one of those 73 Mach 1s with power windows and the rear ones always leaked. There is still silicone caulk that the Ford dealer put around the frame to try to stop the leak. I don't think they ever did. I bought new and still have it.

I rolled my gal friends daughters head up in one side once did not know she was hanging out the window, Ops.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I thought about doing this conversation years ago and had the chance to buy all the parts real cheep I really don't know why I passed up the opportunity. I love the look. Nice write-up.

Going fast is fun but life is short so slow down and enjoy the ride :D Frank

• 3 months later...

thanks for the instructions! i got a complete kit a while ago on ebay and now installed it. it worked out great following your instructions. special thanks for the hint about the washer, fitting the base of the roller screws. i also had to change the position of the lower rubber window stop.

For those who are looking to source parts:

The set was missing the clips/washers to fix the winder arm to pin on the window plate:

74274-sd [R-3] / Ford Mustang Window Regulator Retainer Clip Set - 2 Pieces $1.75 Set

44727-s [X-24] (washer): b-13020 General (IAZ) .44 X .88 X .08 FLAT WASHER, PHOS. 12 pk US$3.00

as well as the bolts for the window mechanism

57487-S: b-11872 General Ø (QK) 1/4-20 X 1/2 HX .75 CONI SEMS, ZDC. 8 pk US$5.00

also, the corresponding page from the master parts catalogue (w/o the power window part) per attachment

2072295574_moveablewindowsexplosiondrawing.thumb.jpg.eb12b3e4deb77b43326c3ae5efc39b0e.jpg

thanks for the instructions! i got a complete kit a while ago on ebay and now installed it. it worked out great following your instructions. special thanks for the hint about the washer, fitting the base of the roller screws. i also had to change the position of the lower rubber window stop.

Glad the instructions helped you kai233 !

This write-up now has over ten-thousand views - makes me wonder how many of those people have made the switch.

Brett

phonestang2.jpg

This write-up now has over ten-thousand views - makes me wonder how many of those people have made the switch.

Most are probably like me, just dreaming about it, I've looked at this thread several times. Someday I'll hopefully find the needed parts at a reasonable price.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

• 7 months later...

Glad the instructions helped you kai233 !

Brett, if you only had a dollar for every time someone viewed the post ... well that would be a lot of dollars. :P :P :P

• 2 years later...

New guy here. It was this post that lead me to this website. Just joined this week. Thanks for this info. I am looking for the window stops next.

New guy here. It was this post that lead me to this website. Just joined this week. Thanks for this info. I am looking for the window stops next.

Glad you found the tutorial useful Jon71. If you can't find the stops then I reckon in a pinch you could probably fabricate a pair yourself using slices of angle iron with a drilled hole to put a nut and bolt through.

Brett

phonestang2.jpg