Soft brake pedal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernard0431

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
My retirement project. All upgraded components have been sourced from junkyards.
HI all,

I recently upgraded my front drum to front disk brakes. I followed the steps for the Granada swap but my donor car was a 1977 Maverick. Everything bolted up like the Granada swap as all the parts are interchanging. everything fit up fine. Here is the problem:

all online threads say to use the mustang pushrod when the maverick MC is used. Does anyone know why this is? the maverick pushrod is an inch longer than the mustang rod. could this be the cause of the soft pedal? it takes a long time to build up pressure when pumping the brakes.

Any help is appreciated.

Ben

pushrod.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HI all,

I recently upgraded to all from to front disk brakes. I followed the steps for the Granada swap but my donor car was a 1977 Maverick. Everything bolted up like the Granada swap as all the parts are interchanging. everything fit up fine. Here is the problem:

all online threads say to use the mustang pushrod when the maverick MC is used. Does anyone know why this is? the maverick pushrod is an inch longer than the mustang rod. could this be the cause of the soft pedal? it takes a long time to build up pressure when pumping the brakes.

Any help is appreciated.

Ben

did your car have non power brakes to start with ?when you switch to power brakes you need to relocate the push rod hole on the brake pedal arm.
I started with non power brakes. The Maverick donor was also non power brake.

Nailpounder hit the nail on the head....

:D

The brake pedal pin, the part the push rod slides onto, will need to be relocated (moved down) on the pedal. You could get the measurements off a power brake car. (thats if the pedals are the same, not sure on that)

Or

Get yourself a brake pedal from a power brake Mustang or Cougar. (best option)

I went through all this converting my 66 Mustang nonpower drum brakes to power disk. Scott Drake makes a brake pin relocator kit for the 65-66 cars. I'm not sure if it would work for the 7173.

I was just at the salvage yard picking the last drops off a 71 Cougar with power brakes too.

did your car have non power brakes to start with ?when you switch to power brakes you need to relocate the push rod hole on the brake pedal arm.

Did you check the clearance between the push rod and the MC? If the piston doesn't retract fully the fluid can't flow out of the reservoir and recharge the piston. After it is all together there should be about a 1/4" free play at the pedal.

Did you swap MC from maverick to your mustang?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk
I did swap the Maverick MC when I did the mod.

Did you swap MC from maverick to your mustang?

I did swap the Maverick MC when I did the mod.
Ok, I haven't done this swap but from learning from others here that went from manual drums to manual disc it was my understanding that you shouldn't need to swap the MC unless you went to power brakes and therefore swap the brake pedal or modify the non power brake pedal.

I have understood that using the disc brake distribution/prop valve is recommended.

I plan to swap to manual disc up front and leaving the other hardware alone. I do know a few members here have done that with no issues. Maybe if they are still active they could chime in. Everyone I've heard that did the swap even with manual disc brakes have said it has been a huge improvement in stopping power.

A common mistake that people make when they mount disc brakes is that they mount brake calipers on the wrong sides, at least when it comes to single-piston calipers. with the result that you never get all the air out of the system. Then you have to pump a lot on the pedal before getting any pressure.

// Thomas

A common mistake that people make when they mount disc brakes is that they mount brake calipers on the wrong sides, at least when it comes to single-piston calipers. with the result that you never get all the air out of the system. Then you have to pump a lot on the pedal before getting any pressure.

// Thomas
Yup, made that mistake before. But only because the parts department gave me the wrong side caliper than the one I ordered. Bleeder was higher than the line and could never bleed the brake correctly. Had me stumped for a little bit, I mean why would someone give you the wrong part that you ordered? :confused:

Latest posts

Back