351 Cleveland

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 (1973)-351Ci-4V
Hi everyone,

Fits the engine from a Thunderbird 1977(351C with C4 tranny) in a Mustang?

Maybe a good spare engine for $750 with Hei and carb.??

Some advice please...

Thanks,

Eddy

:huh:

Well its a Cleveland and our cars were made for it so I'd doubt there would be any fitment issues. If you already have a cleveland it should be as simple as it gets.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

Yes that would be a 351/400 M engine

No such thing as a'77 Cleveland engine, as others have stated. If it is free or very cheap and you simply need to motivate your car, it will work.

However, if you are looking for a platform to build a nice street motor...there are many better choices out there.

You mean so such thing as a Cleveland in 77 "manufactured in America"?
Correct. In America the Cleveland was only produced 1970-1973. Australia ran the engine a lot longer, I don't know the exact year it stopped but I thought it was some time early 80's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. In America the Cleveland was only produced 1970-1973. Australia ran the engine a lot longer, I don't know the exact year it stopped but I thought it was some time early 80's?

The Cleveland was actually built through 1974. Thanks to it being installed the the Gran Torino, you got one more chance to get a "Q" code 351 before it disappeared for ever. Thanks to our friends in Australia Ford was able to source the 351 Cleveland for a couple of more years for the Pantera before that vechicle was dropped. The 351m/400 started in 1975 and remained through the early 80's but by then was mostly used in Ford's truck lines.

Smogger 351M or 400 with domed pistons, extremely low compression and a 5 degree retarded timing chain, for starters. The engine mounting locations are different as well, so you may have issues getting it into a Mustang without drilling and tapping the block.

$750 is also on the extreme high side. For that price, the whole T-Bird - if clapped out - should be coming with it.

If you want a motor to get you by/emergency spare, dig up a well-priced 302 that hasn't been abused.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:

The Cleveland was actually built through 1974. Thanks to it being installed the the Gran Torino, you got one more chance to get a "Q" code 351 before it disappeared for ever. Thanks to our friends in Australia Ford was able to source the 351 Cleveland for a couple of more years for the Pantera before that vehicle was dropped. The 351m/400 started in 1975 and remained through the early 80's but by then was mostly used in Ford's truck lines.
+1

That about covers it. Thanks seduff.

Ray

Back