'71 Mach 1 in West Texas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Hey - I'm Eric from San Angelo, Texas, and I just picked up a '71 Mach 1 (matching numbers) from a local Craigslist ad. Still has the original 351C 2V, C-6, and 9-inch under there, with some long-tube headers (not sure of the brand) and traction bars.

Since I was 14 (almost 30 years ago), I've always wanted a '71 Mach 1, and now I've finally made it happen. She's a little rough, the engine's seized, front suspension shot, body cancer in the normal places, trunk floor pretty much gone, and interior's trashed... but the Ram Air flappers still work, the glass is good, power front discs are all there, seat frames are solid, gauges are clear (not cloudy), and I actually fit comfortably in there (I'm 6'5") - so it's all good.

And now she's mine and will be restored over time to become my new daily driver (I believe in enjoying a car, rather than just parking it). I'm planning on warming up the engine a little with some Edelbrock Performance goodies (cam, intake, heads, and MPI), turning the C-6 into an AO6 w/a B&M Mega-shifter, Flowmaster dual-exhaust, 3.90s in the rear end, 15" American Racing Torque-Thrusts with some fat 50-series BFG T/As, Wilwood or SSBC discs all around, VintageAir A/C (a must in West Texas), a new interior, and a complete coat of proper metallic silver paint with the black Mach 1 trim package.

Here's a couple of pics of my new 'Rustang.'

38150_147624075248519_100000027814872_439790_1132376_n.jpg

33518_147624081915185_100000027814872_439791_4742011_n.jpg

39320_148084911869102_100000027814872_442523_8076701_n.jpg

I've got my work cut out for me (and a lot of it as well), but I'm stoked and hopeful to have her back in shape by this time next year. I'm also patient and willing to spend what it takes to do it right. I'll be happy to take any advice offered as well.

Wish me luck and stay tuned.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard!

Looks like a great project and it will be rewarding! Just hang in there and take it step by step! You'll be hitting the streets before you know it!

WELCOME aboard, Eric!

You are joining a great group of people who share your interests in our classic ponies.

I am sure you will find everyone willing to assist you in your journey and we look forward to your interactions on the forums.

Again, Welcome!!

BT

Welcome to the club, Eric. There are some really cool guys here.

It looks like you've got a great project there, and you've got the right attitude for sure. :)

I was lucky enough to find a car with great looks but needs a lot of mechanical work. I'm especially interested in your plans for your 351c 2V. Please let us know how things progress.

Again, welcome!

Doc

Thanks for the warm welcome! I poked around a little last night - nice place we got here! My first car was an '82 Mustang GL hatchback, so I'm feeling like I've kind of 'come back home' a little. It'll be nice having a Pony in the driveway again.

My project is going to get a nice holeshot since I've just decided to sell my '95 Honda Civic VX hatchback sooner than later - a friend from work is interested in it and has pretty much agreed to my price. So, I'm thinking I might have the engine and tranny sorted out fairly soon, rather than spread out over the next several months. Once I get her running, the rest should go pretty quick and be just that much more enjoyable.

I've been photo-documenting all of the rehab work I've been doing to my 1980 Jeep CJ-7, so there will be plenty of progress pictures and notes to share. I've already started a Mach 1 blog on my personal website (which I just need to link up on the main pages), so I'll make sure to keep the group posted on progress.

Wow Nance - looks like we're gonna practically be twins. Good lookin' ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back