How bad is this rust?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Took the interior out of the 73 today. Found some surprises to say the least. There were sheet metal patches not really visible from underneath, lots of silicone type putty. Worst of all is underneath near the front of the leaf spring. Its a hole where the seat belt was screwed to. I was able to just pull all the metal out with the seat belt assembly. Also was able to push a hole into the frame rail next to the leaf spring. This does not look good to me. Did I just buy another donor parts car? The body on this car was re-done at some point and boy did they hide some ugly! I knew it was going to need new floors but is this salvageable?

4lk774.jpg

alogfr.jpg

Salvageable? Maybe. Worth it? Maybe not. Thise frame rails look pretty bad, if it was just surface rust I'd say you could grind it, nuetralize it, coat with a rust prevention like rust bullet or por 15 but it looks like pretty deep rust to me. Hard to see tourqe boxes from those pics but if they are just as bad I'd deem it as a parts car. Fact you mention its been jerry rigged with patches doesn't help reassure what else is hidden around down there.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

Good excuse for Tubs and a 4 bar rear ;). Big job lots of hours may be time for some heavy thinking re options, the other guys pretty much have it, if its your time fine, otherwise you can do better for less cash than you would sink into having a shop repair it all

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't seem to win with these cars. My first project got scratched because of body damage. It had solid floors and frame but every body panel was dented or crushed. I under estimated the cost of panel replacement. This one has excellent panels but is rotten underneath. I broke even selling parts of the first project. This one was worth the cost for what is good on the car. It has a complete good condition interior, good fenders, hood, doors, trunk, glass, trim. Might just hoard the parts for the next project.

I can't seem to win with these cars. My first project got scratched because of body damage. It had solid floors and frame but every body panel was dented or crushed. I under estimated the cost of panel replacement. This one has excellent panels but is rotten underneath. I broke even selling parts of the first project. This one was worth the cost for what is good on the car. It has a complete good condition interior, good fenders, hood, doors, trunk, glass, trim. Might just hoard the parts for the next project.
That'll do it hoard the good parts. start with a better car or maybe look at a unfinished project something 90% done, it will cost a bit more but you finish it how you want and the other guy has done most of the hard work and payed all the big bills. Bummer that you have taken a hit twice. There may even be someone on the forum near you that would be willing to help pick out a good clean project. Put it out there Dardi you never know your luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say if you have some decent welding skills and the time from what I saw in the pics it is not a deal breaker, however it would before spending the time and money on torque boxes and cutting patch metal for around the rear seatbelt areas I would go through the rest of the car and see exactly what else your in for so there are no more surprises and revaluate the project as a whole.

If I can get it road worthy for less than a few hundred, I might just drive it around until I find something better. I can do the mechanics, I would need help with the welding and body work.

Being in the same position, if you can do the mechanics, you can get yourself a decent welder, and do that yourself too. frame rails are not that expensive. but it is TIME CONSUMING.

my build thread here:

http://www.tcstangs.com/forum/showthread.php?125970-73-convert-i-ve-a-Lotta-work-to-do&p=2744096#post2744096

I've 1500 in the car, and $2000 in parts at this point, all four frame rails, both 1/2 floor pans, trunk floor and rt rear 1/4 panel.

an extra $700 in steel to nail everything in place. It's been a year almost exactly since i bought mine, and i'm just now ALMOST ready to start assembly.

like someone else said, anything *can* be salvaged, it's all a question if that's what you want to do.

good luck and keep us informed!

Being in the same position, if you can do the mechanics, you can get yourself a decent welder, and do that yourself too. frame rails are not that expensive. but it is TIME CONSUMING.

my build thread here:

http://www.tcstangs.com/forum/showthread.php?125970-73-convert-i-ve-a-Lotta-work-to-do&p=2744096#post2744096

I've 1500 in the car, and $2000 in parts at this point, all four frame rails, both 1/2 floor pans, trunk floor and rt rear 1/4 panel.

an extra $700 in steel to nail everything in place. It's been a year almost exactly since i bought mine, and i'm just now ALMOST ready to start assembly.

like someone else said, anything *can* be salvaged, it's all a question if that's what you want to do.

good luck and keep us informed!
I had that thread up yesterday from a google search. Very impressive. Mine isn't as bad as your convertible, so there is hope. I am sitting at a $1800 mach one so we are not that far off for starting points. My problem is the size of my garage. I don't have the room to make a rotisserie or a jig like you have. I work for a sheet metal shop (ductwork) so I have access to extra metal. I even considered making my own floor patches. Money wise I am a ways out from investing thousands. My plan of attack is a slow one.

it always seems to come down to time or money (or both).

my 1st round of $1000 in parts was a year ago, so 2k dosen't seem too bad. I also have a similar garage situation, I had to kick the wife out of her parking spot to take over. Nearly ended with me sleeping on the couch :)

just noticed you're in Duluth ... if you ever come down to the cities, give me a shout, we'll have a beer!

Back