New speedo cable and gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrshog

Reaction score
My Car
Looking
I picked up a new speedo cable and gear. C6 tranny. I can spin the gear by hand and the needle on the speedo moves but when I install it I get nothing. Is the bend going into the tranny too tight? What am I missing? Does the inner cable need to be trimmed or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's kinked enough to keep the cable from turning the gear is likely stripped.

Most likely the cable isn't engaging either the head or the gear, or the gear isn't engaging the gear on the output shaft.

Did you set the gear in correctly?

It would have to be really kinked to not turn at all.
Can it be put in incorrectly? I guess I assumed it would only go in one way and the gears would have to be lined up for it to go in.

If it's kinked enough to keep the cable from turning the gear is likely stripped.

Most likely the cable isn't engaging either the head or the gear, or the gear isn't engaging the gear on the output shaft.
Well that would be par for the course so far. Can the bends in the cable be causing the cable to pull out of the gear or the head? If I pull the cable on the gear end it should hit a stop on the head side, correct.

If it were stripped why would it work when I spin it by hand?

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a new speedo cable and gear. C6 tranny. I can spin the gear by hand and the needle on the speedo moves but when I install it I get nothing. Is the bend going into the tranny too tight? What am I missing? Does the inner cable need to be trimmed or something?
Just out of curiosity, did you pick it up from O'Rielly auto or one of those?...I recently bought a Speedo cable from them and had issues with the gear. Ended up going down to NPD and getting one, and had no problems...may or may not help in this case.

Just out of curiosity, did you pick it up from O'Rielly auto or one of those?...I recently bought a Speedo cable from them and had issues with the gear. Ended up going down to NPD and getting one, and had no problems...may or may not help in this case.
O'Reilly didn't have the correct one. Mine is from CJ Pony Parts. Cable, gear and O ring seal.

I'd simulate the bend without inserting. Then see if the bending is causing the cable to pull from the gear. I'm assuming you have the driver gear installed in the transmission and the driven gear is matching up.

I'd simulate the bend without inserting. Then see if the bending is causing the cable to pull from the gear. I'm assuming you have the driver gear installed in the transmission and the driven gear is matching up.
The driven gear was not engaging with the drive gear in the tranny. I ordered the "blue" 16 tooth gear seen here: http://www.transmissioncenter.org/Ford_Speedometer_Gears.htm

and the speedo works, however, it is off by about 10 mph and the calculators I have found say I need a 17 or 19 tooth driven gear depending on what gear I have in the tranny either 7, 8, or 9 tooth. Does anyone know if more teeth on the driven gear means a larger diameter? I would need it to be long the blue one I have or to be a larger diameter.

The driven gear was not engaging with the drive gear in the tranny. I ordered the "blue" 16 tooth gear seen here: http://www.transmissioncenter.org/Ford_Speedometer_Gears.htm

and the speedo works, however, it is off by about 10 mph and the calculators I have found say I need a 17 or 19 tooth driven gear depending on what gear I have in the tranny either 7, 8, or 9 tooth. Does anyone know if more teeth on the driven gear means a larger diameter? I would need it to be long the blue one I have or to be a larger diameter.
The OD of the gear is the same. Just the tooth count changes.

The OD of the gear is the same. Just the tooth count changes.
Right... the fewer the teeth, the faster it will spin the driven gear.

Back