SOLVED!!!The "Brake Bug" strikes again!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been seeing several posts lately revolving around brakes and more specifically the brake pedal. Well I took the Mach out for a bit to stretch her legs, and what I thought would be some relaxation, turned into a 5 minute ride. As soon as I passed my street I could feel the brake pedal softer than anything before. Had to really push down to even get it to think about stopping. Never really had an issue before today and that issue made me make a quick right turn at a red light because I couldn't get the darn thing to stop in time. After talking with my mechanic tonight he made me check a few things on the car and well, I found what appears to be a good ole mess underneath the rear driver-side wheel. I'm sure it's only a factor but it looks like I'll be getting new wheel cylinders, brake shoes, and such this weekend. My mechanic (who is a good friend of mine) will be over on Saturday to help me out and also make up for my lack of braking skills. LOL... Any suggestions or specific things to watch out for??? Or extra parts, possibly I should buy? Fortunately NPD is just around the corner, so I'm not too worried if I need to make a last minute parts run.

Here are a few photos. The rear passenger side looks a lot better up close, though we are going to go ahead and swap both sides out anyway. In addition, obviously change the brake fluid. I haven't touched it since I've owned it, so it's anyone's guess as to how long it's been in there.

20140402_204834.jpg

20140402_204853.jpg

20140402_204646.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see what your problem is, you have a Starship stuck in your master cylinder....:dodgy:

ZnXnXbM.jpg

star_trek_tos_ship_3d_commission_by_adamkop-d5qduyh.jpg

That is some nasty looking fluid!!! Looks like that wheel cylinder has been leaking for a while and finally blew out. Since your in there I would buy a complete hardware kit with all new retainers and springs. they are pretty cheap and come with everything you will need. I would also check your drums for grooves and if theres enough meat on them, have them turned just to true them up or pop for some new drums. Depends what yours look like.

OR!!!!!

Be a good time for a disc brake upgrade!!!

Power wash/degrease the mess and get a new can of brake clean. New hardware kit is always a good idea. While you are under there check rubber hose going into the distribution block. They are not readily available as I have found out.

You may also want to check the vent tube for the rear axle and make sure that is not blocked and maybe the rear axle fluid level in case that is not all brake fluid... while you are under there.

Power wash/degrease the mess and get a new can of brake clean. New hardware kit is always a good idea. While you are under there check rubber hose going into the distribution block. They are not readily available as I have found out.

You may also want to check the vent tube for the rear axle and make sure that is not blocked and maybe the rear axle fluid level in case that is not all brake fluid... while you are under there.
Rear hoses are available

Item #H78075

71-73 BRAKE HOSE REAR

Disc or drum rear brake hose, reproduction

Either kit will work, but it depends on if your plates, cables and adjusters are reusable. If npd is right down the street then tear yours apart and then decide which kit will suit your needs. I usually go with the full kit just for the piece of mind.

I would wait till you have your drums off too before you order pads. If I remember right there are a couple different width pads for the 9 inch. I think 2" and 2 1/4" .

While you are under there check rubber hose going into the distribution block.
+1 to this, mine was starting to decompose and fall apart. It also had a major block in it that was stopping my rear brakes from working.

While you're at it, you may as well pick up a distribution block rebuild kit from NPD and refresh the seals in your block. Only takes a little bit of time, and with how dirty your fluid is, it probably needs to be cleaned in there.

Instructions: http://d2zl5tj7gmc4tr.cloudfront.net/store/content/download/instructions/2b091-4bk.pdf

Also on the rear brake hose, Centric parts makes a nice reproduction, it looks a little different from the stock (part is stainless steel not the zinc yellow finish) but at $16 it was hard to beat.

Brake Hoses - Brake Hydraulic Hoses - Rear 150.61452

Rockauto sells it, you can find it under Brake/Wheel Hub > Hydraulic Hose

You can actually get the hardware kits at local parts stores - they're very common and a bit cheaper, actually since you won't be paying for shipping.

I don't know if Auto Zone or O'Reilly's will have a super complete kit with absolutely everything like the NPD 2A094-10B kit does - some of those things you'll need to buy separately.

Typically, the spring & fasteners kit and adjusters are the things that should be replaced each time along with the shoes (and drums, if necessary).

ALWAYS replace calipers, wheel cylinders, drums and rotors in pairs. It would be a great idea to replace the brake hoses on both ends. Take a dollar store baster and siphon out as much of that nasty fluid as possible. Add fresh fluid and bleed the brakes until the fluid is clean. start with the right rear, left rear then the right front and left front. That fluid is full of trash and water.

Resolved pretty good with; New wheel cylinders, brake shoes, hardware kit, and brake fluid. Didn't need any new hoses, nor were mine looking worn. It seems to brake better now and just for kicks, I replaced the front pads with some Hawk brake pads :D

and flush out the complete system a few times, just al long as the new fluid coming out is as clean as the fluid going in..

Back