Door Hinge Pins

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the skills, I recommend doing a Mustang Steve hinge kit conversion. http://www.mustangsteve.com/hinge.html The rebuild kit is excellent, and pretty simple to do with hand tools (but you'll need to weld as well). He does have some 'ready-to-go' hinges for sale as well.

But before I found out about that, I replaced the pins in my driver side hinges. I had the fenders off already, so it was a snap. I also only took one hinge off at a time - which made getting the repair done a lot easier (on the bench), as well as kept the door on the car (without having to figure out how to deal with that, aside from making adjustments when it's all back together.

Be careful with the floating plates inside the door pillar - once you pull the bolts, they can drop and will be a major hassle to get back in-place when it's time to go back together. I recommend using a big magnet (will help keep it in-place) and stuff a dowel or two through the bolt-holes to keep the plates lined up, while carefully pulling the hinge away from the pillar. The bolts in the doors themselves are welded nuts in the door - so they won't 'go walk about' on ya.

Hope this helps!

I ended up pulling my door when I changed mine out, to me it seemed like a pain and in my case an extra set of hands would have been very helpful.

If you have the skills, I recommend doing a Mustang Steve hinge kit conversion. http://www.mustangsteve.com/hinge.html The rebuild kit is excellent, and pretty simple to do with hand tools (but you'll need to weld as well). He does have some 'ready-to-go' hinges for sale as well.

But before I found out about that, I replaced the pins in my driver side hinges. I had the fenders off already, so it was a snap. I also only took one hinge off at a time - which made getting the repair done a lot easier (on the bench), as well as kept the door on the car (without having to figure out how to deal with that, aside from making adjustments when it's all back together.

Be careful with the floating plates inside the door pillar - once you pull the bolts, they can drop and will be a major hassle to get back in-place when it's time to go back together. I recommend using a big magnet (will help keep it in-place) and stuff a dowel or two through the bolt-holes to keep the plates lined up, while carefully pulling the hinge away from the pillar. The bolts in the doors themselves are welded nuts in the door - so they won't 'go walk about' on ya.

Hope this helps!
This is exactly how I did it.Wasn't to bad.

are you sure its the door hinges and not the roker panels or the floor pans getting weak because that will cause the door to sag,i bought new door hinges top and bottom and found out my floors and rocker panel was decaying,because are doors are so heavy the weight doesn't hold the door up good any more,hope it is the hinges its a lot cheeper good luck.

Good advice, Ron... but Alan's car is a sportsroof, not a 'vert. A saggy door and worn hinge pins are probably just a saggy door and worn hinge pins, in this case. :)

I took my doors off on my coupe 25 years ago and muscled em back on by myself-don't do it unless you are under 30 and in damn good shape or you will regret it.
You are THE man - respect on this!

Tim
Respect for a 23 year old version of me, perhaps. I was 6'1 180 pounds and not an ounce of fat on me at the time. I could barely swim as my body would sink in fresh water. I no longer have a problem floating-if you painted me red and white I'd look like a fishing bobber

I took my doors off on my coupe 25 years ago and muscled em back on by myself-don't do it unless you are under 30 and in damn good shape or you will regret it.

Tim
Respect for a 23 year old version of me, perhaps. I was 6'1 180 pounds and not an ounce of fat on me at the time. I could barely swim as my body would sink in fresh water. I no longer have a problem floating-if you painted me red and white I'd look like a fishing bobber
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole! :p

Tim
I hear ya'. I had to stop going to the beach, cuz all the do-gooders kept throwing water on me and trying to roll me back into the surf.

Tim
I suffer from a similar condition. I can't go to the beach because people keep trying to push me back in the water.

Has anyone tried replacing the pins and bushings without removing the door hinges? I'm just trying to avoid revoving the fenders or buying an expensive Snap-on Hinge wrench.

Thanks, Chet

Back