Blew up the '11 last night :(

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2011 Mustang GT
Well, it was bound to happen I guess. It's had a slight tick since I bought it which I was told by a good mechanic friend sounded like a piston pin. I was having a little fun with it last night, and whatever the tick was let go HARD! All I know is that it sounded awful, seconds later I had no oil pressure, and the tick now sounded like about 30 or so bowling balls being shaken around in a big steel box! NOT GOOD! The entire underside of the car is covered in oil so something clearly has a hole in it. Gonna try later today to assess the damage, but I know already that it's BAD!

Anybody here happen to have a Coyote motor layin around they wanna sell really cheap? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW! I feel your pain as I recall having blown up my first 351C and it is a sinking feeling.

Hopefully, you will be able to pick up another motor at a reasonably price.

BT

Believe me when I tell you that when you know in the back of your mind that a new crate motor is about 6k...it's more than a sinking feeling. It was more of a denial felling! Like huh...wonder what I just ran over in the road, that sounded bad! Oh...it was parts of my motor! (Insert string of profanity here)

Man I really hate to hear that! Hopefully someone here will have a Coyote motor they have decided to not use or maybe a hookup to one!

Best of luck!

Ray

Aww bummer, Man. Good luck with it - I hope it's somehow salvageable, as I understand swapping into a new engine can be tricky... with the ECMs, BCMs, and block sensors being specific to each other and all.

Yeah, it did have 81k on it, and unfortunately I think the 1st owner that took it up to 79k may have enjoyed it a little too much! It had a pretty aggressive tune loaded until about a month or so ago when I tuned it back to stock. I de-tuned it when I put cats back on it because the tune had a 'ghost cam' feature which made it lope like it had big cams in it at idle which supposedly dumps a lot of raw fuel down the exhaust and can clog cats. I was gonna get another tune written for it soon...now I just wanna make it run again!

If I understsnd you correctly...the previous owner had the ECM tuned to make the engine idle lumpy, simulating an old-school monster cammed motor...then I have to say I think that is ridiculous.

Today's hi-tech motors run rings around the old stuff. Lumpy cams were hi-tech in the 60s...not today.

If it is true it was dumping raw gas in the motor, it surely had a detrimental effect on other stuff too. Its a shame someone would do that to a nice Coyote motor.

Good luck, I hope you get out without too much of an expense there.

I blew up the engine in my Hurst/Olds...one of the most depressing days of my life.

You are correct...the ghost cam tune makes it sound lumpy like an old school big cam. It did sound nice, but completely useless otherwise. It does nothing at all for performance. In fact, as soon as you step on the pedal everything automatically goes back to normal air/fuel wise. Also, some of the 1st tunes that were available for the coyote motors proved to be a bit too aggressive under certain conditions. Since I bought it from an independent dealer who took it in on trade I didn't get a whole lot of info on what the tune was, or how long it had been tuned for. I was gonna build/buy another motor for it eventually anyway, just not at the moment. It is what it is I guess. At least I didn't wreck it. From what I can tell it's all 100% original paint and I plan to keep it that way. I'll figure it out.

Well, it was bound to happen I guess. It's had a slight tick since I bought it which I was told by a good mechanic friend sounded like a piston pin. I was having a little fun with it last night, and whatever the tick was let go HARD! All I know is that it sounded awful, seconds later I had no oil pressure, and the tick now sounded like about 30 or so bowling balls being shaken around in a big steel box! NOT GOOD! The entire underside of the car is covered in oil so something clearly has a hole in it. Gonna try later today to assess the damage, but I know already that it's BAD!

Anybody here happen to have a Coyote motor layin around they wanna sell really cheap? ;)

Sorry to hear it.. I've seen a few good deals around though on forums like svtperformance, allfordmustangs and facebook groups

Anything Coyote Mustang related! 2011 & up Mustangs

and 2005-2014 Mustang/GT500/Boss302 Parts FS

Just request to join the groups.

Back