LED for dash lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
Has anyone used the 194 LED bulbs that NPD sells. There very cheap and I was wondering if they are any good. I was thinking about installing them but am worried about the quality because of the price.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Most of the time guys change those bulbs because they are not efficient for any reasons? (old)

I'm interested about this subject cause I would like to see more lightening while driving by night.

We just installed superbrightleds.com cheap 194 LED bulbs in our 1968 Torino Fastback. They were around a buck each.

They really made the gauges visible and quite cool looking at night.

There were a few sockets for the bulb that were not directly behind the indicators such as the high beam warning that we ended up putting a regular 194's in. The little single LED 194's basically just shine straight ahead and not off to the side at all.

We also put in their 550 lumen tail light / brake light bulb and all I can say is WOW. Everyone certainly knows when I am stopping now day or night.

The Mustang is getting a set next.

- Paul

Yeah those will work. You can also get different colors if you want but you'll have to take the blue diffusers out if you do decide to change colors.

Here's what I did to add LEDs to my gauges.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-gauge-lighting

100_4093.jpg

This makes them really bright and its simple to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks,

The only problem I've had with LEDs is that they are either ON or OFF meaning that they don't dim. I put LEDs in my 72 and I went a different route in my 69 Torino and 70 Mustang. I just removed the blue diffusers, replaced the bulbs and put the light blue light covers from Autogage over the bulbs. I also added the little blue covers to my after market gauges so all the lights match.

It's certainly brighter but won't overpower you like some LEDs. You can also set up your headlights on a different circuit to provide a lil more power to your instrument cluster lights.

KR

Back