What intake is this?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973grandeklar

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V
1972 Mustang 'Q' code Mach 1
I got this intake with the 302 that came with a 1972 Mustang. I was told by the previous owner that it is a Weidend. I did a Google search and nothing in the Wiedend line looked like this.

alumintake1.JPG

alumintake2.JPG

I did find an Offenhauser that looked close. But everything I found has csting identification. This one has nothing. Just a few numbers on the bottom.

alumintake3.JPG

More of a curiousity. This intake will be sold with the motor (assuming the engine runs well).

Offenhauser could be maybe?

Just an idea.
That actually looks like an Edelbrock SP2P (single-plane / dual-plane). They don't make it anymore. It's not really a "performance" manifold it's designed to improve low-end torque and increase fuel economy.

JRP

This intake was installed on the 302. I have not heard it run or used it yet (see my 1972 Mustang mechanical rebuild thread). But I will know in about a month or two how it runs with htis intake and a 600 CFM Holley.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBF-Ford-302-Air-Gap-Aluminum-Dual-Plane-Intake-Manifold-Small-Block-289-5-0-L-/380825122628?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item58aaf23744&vxp=mtr I'm thinking it's from some place like this...Notice this manifold has no name..Only number like yours......I never seen the major producers not put there name on a manifold."But i have not seen everything" lol..even all the way back too the flat head ford, offy and edel have casted there names in all the parts for flat head fords i seen...Even there cheapest manifolds get a name...And if ford did it..It would have a ford casting into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another possibility is that it had those markings and they were ground off and the manifold was bead blasted afterwards. I have a highly polished 351C 2V intake that was detailed and polished in this manner (not terribly well done either) that only has a number on the bottom-I'm pretty sure it is an edelbrock, but who can be sure these days?

Thanks Boss1Ray, that is the conclusion I came up with. If someone did grind off the casting identification, they did a good job. Reading that description, I am not sure that it would be a good intake for a basic stock 302. Since I do not know what the cam is in this motor, maybe it will be fine. Either way, it was free and that is the best kind of part I am not afraid to try.

Free is good - but it looks like a crappy intake with huge runner volumes and poor fuel charge velocities. It would definitely be a low end performer at best. But for a street car just about any manifold will get you down the road OK.

Looks like it was a very vintage 1960's prototype that somehow made it out into the real world. There are always odd and unmarked intakes at swap meets - I have been know to buy the stranger ones just for giggles.

I bet it has been on a bunch of 289's and 302's over the years - LOL.

I came across a 427 dual quad - dual plane manifold with the carb mounts turned 45 degrees - it has 6 inch bolt on risers that are twisted like a spring to straighten out the carbs.(???) It is missing one of the twisty risers so I have never ran it. Anyone got one laying around?

I got a bid of $1600.00 years ago to make a cast copy of one I do have.

I just said no.....

- Paul

Back