black 71 headliner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximd30

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang coupe
Does anyone know where i can get my hands on a decent black headliner for cheap? i want to put some kind of interior in my car. btw i'm 16 so my price range isnt very high :p

Does anyone know where i can get my hands on a decent black headliner for cheap? i want to put some kind of interior in my car. btw i'm 16 so my price range isnt very high :p
If you are really lucky and your idea of decent isn't the same as 'perfect', someone replacing theirs could let you pay shipping for their old one.

Or you might check with a local upholstery shop. Offer to work some for them to pay for it to be done right.

Just some ideas. Good luck.

Ray

I've seen some of them on eBay for about $60.

Keep in mind though that to properly install the headliner you're supposed to pull the front and rear glass. Not exactly cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Item #069443H

71-73 HEADLINER, COUPE

Tier Grain. Price: $34.95

Item #069450H

71-73 HEADLINER, FASTBACK

Tier grain Price: $34.95

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
urg doing with the glass in is going to be hell and not come out very good... you have to be able to stretch the material or you get really nasty wrinkles.

with the glass in i would seriously recommend calling a interior shop and get a quote from them to do it right. the contact cement used isn't fun to work with either.

i was lucky when i did mine. my interior was gutted and i had the glass out totally around the car.

the headliner is suppose slightly wrap around the window ledge.

you don't want to get into a situation where you pay twice,,,

another thing if your headliner is torn and that is why you want to replace it, many interior shops can work with the tear and possibly fix it without a total replacement.

call a place first and get a quote then decide you can always buy the headliner and the glue and attempt it.

some people cut the headliner short then use a putty knife and try to jam it into the window sealant, you sort of end up with bad wrinkles at the ends and the center is smooth because you can stretch it around the sides. you also get these diagonal wrinkle by the sail panel because there are metal teeth that the headliner gets pulled into in that area to hold it tight but without a big stretch without the rear glass installed it doesn't come out good.

yes the windows can also open up a big can of worms as well, like on my car,,, when i pulled out the rear window, 60% of my window ledge was gone, rusted away, explains the lake in the trunk and moldy back seats. however at least could fix it at that point even though it wasn't easy.

granted then you have to deal with a Glazer or doing that yourself as well, but at least if done professionally you can address a bigger problem.

now for me i reinstalled both my windows, and i will never EVER do that again it was one of the worst experiences i had when i mechanically restored my car.

6 months later i was still finding sealant on surfaces i had touched from those 2 days.

urg doing with the glass in is going to be hell and not come out very good... you have to be able to stretch the material or you get really nasty wrinkles.

with the glass in i would seriously recommend calling a interior shop and get a quote from them to do it right. the contact cement used isn't fun to work with either.

i was lucky when i did mine. my interior was gutted and i had the glass out totally around the car.

the headliner is suppose slightly wrap around the window ledge.

you don't want to get into a situation where you pay twice,,,

another thing if your headliner is torn and that is why you want to replace it, many interior shops can work with the tear and possibly fix it without a total replacement.

call a place first and get a quote then decide you can always buy the headliner and the glue and attempt it.

some people cut the headliner short then use a putty knife and try to jam it into the window sealant, you sort of end up with bad wrinkles at the ends and the center is smooth because you can stretch it around the sides. you also get these diagonal wrinkle by the sail panel because there are metal teeth that the headliner gets pulled into in that area to hold it tight but without a big stretch without the rear glass installed it doesn't come out good.

yes the windows can also open up a big can of worms as well, like on my car,,, when i pulled out the rear window, 60% of my window ledge was gone, rusted away, explains the lake in the trunk and moldy back seats. however at least could fix it at that point even though it wasn't easy.

granted then you have to deal with a Glazer or doing that yourself as well, but at least if done professionally you can address a bigger problem.

now for me i reinstalled both my windows, and i will never EVER do that again it was one of the worst experiences i had when i mechanically restored my car.

6 months later i was still finding sealant on surfaces i had touched from those 2 days.
thanks for the advice man, ill talk to my dad

Back