Oil pan cleaning

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible Mustang 351 C 2V H Code automatic transmission
Hello everyone

I'm cleaning the oil pan of my 1971 Mustang 351 Cleveland and since it's rusted I'd like to know how to sandblast it

I don't have machines just sandpaper but I don't know if I could also use some chemical solution to help

Thanks

Fran

Kerosene or diesel fuel does a good job of cutting any accumulation of oil or sludge, but it leaves behind a bit of an oily waxy residue that you will have to remove before painting. Acetone or pure alcohol will work to remove this. Coarse steel wool pads or what we call Chore boys http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2242808&KPID=2707728&pla=pla_2707728 which are a flat ribbon type of pad do a good job of removing rust or you can use a chemical rust remover.

I'm not sure what is available in Italy, but most are primarily Phosphoric acid based. They do a good job of converting the rust chemically to a black inert form that can be painted. While I am no chemist, I believe the chemical reaction converts the rust aka red rust or FeO2 to the less reactive Black rust or FeO3. It should be neutralized with a water wash and a coat of paint on the part or oil on the inside of the pan. Don't paint the inside of the pan or the flanges where the gasket will sit-it will cause problems and is unnecessary.

you could just throw it in a large bucket over night with a product like this.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rust-dissolver-gallon.html?srccode=ga220010&gclid=CMH_iuj_070CFeMF7Aod22YA-A

spray it with degreaser, then you could hit it with a power washer then toss it in the rust dissolve.

when it comes out, prime and spray the outside to the color you want. and just rub motor oil on the inside of the pan to keep it from surface rusting.

painting the inside is not a good idea just incase the paint starts to peel off years later and it would contaminate the oil and clog the intake in the pan.

More rust removal ideas (similar) from Farmer's Almanac:

You’ll find it on your bike handle, your tools, your pipes and your car, especially after a long snowy winter or rainy spring. Rust occurs when metal faces prolonged contact with water, and combines with oxygen in a process called oxidation. The process corrodes the metal, dissolving it into the chalky reddish-brown substance known as rust.

The best way to deal with rust is to prevent it by keeping metal surfaces dry. Of course, this is not always possible. You could buy rust removal products containing toxic chemicals that are both bad for the environment and dangerous to keep around young children and pets. But there are many safer solutions, and you probably already have everything you need for them at home—here are six safe and easy rust removing tricks to get you started:

1 – A good place to begin is simply scrubbing the rusty surface with steel wool, sandpaper, a wire brush, or even a crumpled up ball of tin foil. If the metal hasn’t rusted too deeply, a little elbow grease will go a long way. But even if the rust is deep, it’s a good idea to eliminate outer flakes of rust first, before using other methods.

2 – For more stubborn rust, try using white vinegar. The acetic acid in this common household product is acidic enough to dissolve rust. You can soak smaller things like earrings, wipe it onto a surface with an old cloth, or just pour it directly over rust spots or bolts and screws that have rusted together. Be sure to rinse items thoroughly after the rust has dissolved, since vinegar left on the metal could damage the surface.

3 – Baking soda is great for cleaning lots of household messes, but have you ever tried it on rust? Make a paste by mixing it with water, making sure it is thick enough to stick to the rusted surface. Let it sit for a while and then scrub it off with steel wool or a wire brush. You may have to repeat this process a few times.

4 – Have an extra potato lying around? You can use a slice of it to scrub rusted surfaces—this works especially well for knife blades, pots, and pans. Sprinkle a little salt or baking soda onto the potato and then rub it over the rust spot, or just insert the knife into a potato and let it sit. The oxalic acid in the potato helps to dissolve the rust.

5 – Lemon juice can also dissolve rust—sprinkle some coarse salt onto the rust, then add lemon juice. Don’t let it sit too long, or it might cause damage. Wipe off the juice and rinse. Try mixing lemon juice with a little vinegar for an extra strong solution. Not only will you be rust-free, but whatever you are cleaning will smell like citrus!

6 – Does Coke really remove rust? If you’ve ever dropped a penny in a glass of Coke, you were probably impressed (or alarmed) that the penny came out clean. Coke contains high levels of phosphoric acid (a common ingredient in store-bought rust removal products) and can be used for rusted nuts and bolts or even corroded battery terminals. However, it can be quite a challenge to clean up since it is so sticky, so you may want to try a different method first.

Once you’ve finished, rinse and dry all surfaces completely—if you leave items wet, they’ll just rust again! You may want to prime and repaint things like bicycles, lawn furniture, or any surface that will face continuous exposure to wet weather. Also be sure to check bikes (especially the chains) for any damage deep rust might have caused before you start using them again.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/home-garden/2009/07/13/rust-remedies/

Ray

Thanks a lot for the excellent advices

Ciao

Fran

Hi Fran,

for rust-conversion after removing rough rust you could use "fertan" which is a one of the big products here in Europe...

http://www.fertan.de/

Here is a very good site with much products, tips on them and lots of instructions on rust-combat - unfortunately only in German...

https://www.korrosionsschutz-depot.de/index.html

If it is only flash rust or a light rust film you could do it generally with grinding and sanding it away like the others said before. On deeper rust I would either remove the rough one, then fertan, flush with water and paint. If it is much deeper then cut and weld.

Tim

Hi Tim

Thanks a lot for the ssuggestion

I will look for Fertan

Aufidersen

Fran

Hi Fran,

for rust-conversion after removing rough rust you could use "fertan" which is a one of the big products here in Europe...

http://www.fertan.de/

Here is a very good site with much products, tips on them and lots of instructions on rust-combat - unfortunately only in German...

https://www.korrosionsschutz-depot.de/index.html

If it is only flash rust or a light rust film you could do it generally with grinding and sanding it away like the others said before. On deeper rust I would either remove the rough one, then fertan, flush with water and paint. If it is much deeper then cut and weld.

Tim

Tomorrow I'll post the pic of my oil pan

I started with sandpaper and I hve to say that I've alredy took off enough rust but maybe I have to use also a metal brush

Ciao

Dallas

Dallas, maybe you could post a picture of your pan's condition?

Back