Well... I suppose it was inevitable

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
They finally closed the Auto Hobby Shop at Goodfellow Air Force Base.

Despite the fact that myself and the former manager of the shop have been running it at no cost to the Air Force (saving them the cost of paying salary and having to find someone qualified to accept a part time job for "less than peanuts"), they decided to shut it down. Just got word today - I am NOT happy.

Something that just pissed me right the Hell off: the Flight Chief actually told me he's been directed to change the locks as well. So, now apparently we're not trustworthy - despite my security clearance, having $30K worth of my own property in the shop, and having been granted authorization and access to the facility for the past 15 months... I'm somehow no longer in the circle of trust. I'm feeling very insulted and unappreciated right now.

Right now, I'm now working on a solution to get my car home and somehow eek out a place to actually work on it. It will most likely involve getting a storage unit temporarily for my Jeep and some of the "keeper" stuff that's also taking up space (the rest will go into a dumpster, or to Goodwill, or something).

Today was not a good day.

Man that sucks, Erik.... wish i could help. You have made such great progress. I guess the bright side is that you don't need much more intense garage work. You got a lot of use until now. You will figure something out. In the mean time, have a few cold beers and a dip in that new pool!

I'm sorry to hear this news. You deserved better treatment than that. One of my friends bought an enclosed car trailer and he keeps his Mach 1 in it when he's not driving it daily. It turns out to be a very economical way to protect the car and when you no longer need it you can get your money back.

Sucks big time ,:dodgy: yeah have a beer and I hope it all works into something better for you .

Man, that really blows! I've been very disappointed to see MWR slowly but surely close the auto craft shops, flying clubs, and other guy friendly pursuits, so they can support day care centers, etc. The military has changed so much since I joined back in early 74, that it is hardly recognizable anymore. I couldn't take the chickification, and in 2011, I hung up my uniform. I've never regretted that decision one bit.

The auto hobby shop that they have here at NSA Mid-South, just north of Memphis has good people, but the facility is really a joke. Really just an insult to servicemembers of all branches.

Damn, this really gets under my skin. :mad:

Yeah - sad to hear that Eric. I hate to say it but local businesses try and shut down services they try to provide.

Many times change, while difficult at first leads to good things. I hope this is your case.

Ray

Sorry to hear about them closing the hobby shop, if they did it for monetary reasons they have their priorities wrong. Many military members are single living on base, even for those living off base a hobby shop provides a place to go and unwind, there is no safer or cheaper form of therapy for the sacrifices you guys make. I can call it therapy because I did 20 years in the military and get it.

Closing a hobby shop that provides so much for so little investment, is a feel good move on someone's part trying to impress number crunchers and those who have no concept of why the hobby shop was created in the first place. PM me with some more information and I'll see what I can do through my representative and others to voice my displeasure. It may not do any good in your hobby shop case, but if we sit back silently, "they'll" assume they did the right thing and the trend will continue.

The only reason we’re allowed to keep our classic cars on the road is because those before us spoke up, it’s the same concept, we need to let our voices be heard.

Jim

Jim has a good point. Give us some more info and we all can send our senators a complaint about it. You'd be surprised how quickly a few phone calls from congress can make a difference.

Sorry to hear such bad news Eric. I've been working for Uncle Sugar for more than 30 years now, 25 years on active duty and the rest as a civilian... And I've learned that no good deed goes unpunished. You helped support the folks on that base for a good long time and I'm sure lots of them appreciate what you did. Appreciate the opportunity you had there and know its now time to move on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Eric,

Sorry for what has happened. It is not fair and is a slap in the face for sure.

TO THOSE THAT WORK HERE:

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Sorry to hear such bad news Eric. I've been working for Uncle Sugar for more than 30 years now, 25 years on active duty and the rest as a civilian... And I've learned that no good deed goes unpunished. You helped support the folks on that base for a good long time and I'm sure lots of them appreciate what you did. Appreciate the opportunity you had there and know its now time to move on.

I can't believe you said that! Marines are supposed to surrender. If R. Lee Ermey heard you say that, he would have a massive coronary.

Just because Mister 4x4 had a good run, telling him to let it go and move on, only screws over all the young service members that will follow. With that thinking, eliminating the CONUS commissaries is okay, too. We had that benefit, but the DOD wants to cut costs by eliminating them. That is screwing over the young soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines with families, by eliminating those activities that save those young families significant amounts of money every month. I think that is worth fighting for.

I don't mean to tick anyone off, I just think there are some things worth fighting for, and in my opinion, both the Auto Hobby Shops and Commissaries are in that category.

Just one old soldiers opinion. :salute:

Thanks for the support, guys. Seriously - y'all are the best.

Yup - money reasons. It's kind of one of those catch-22 situations - those very same representatives, Senators, Congressmen, whatever, are actually to blame (along with the current administration) for the sad state of the DoD's finances - they haven't passed an actual budget since 2009... only continuing resolutions... which is actually against the law. I'm not too optimistic about getting any help from them... but Hey - if it works once, it's worth it, IMHO.

It hurts me on a personal level because I actually enjoyed helping the kids work on their cars, and learn stuff... and stay out of trouble... and save money at the same time while doing so. I was literally hoping the shop would be there when it's time for me to retire from my 'real' job, so I could become one of those 'old farts at the Auto Hobby Shop that seemed to know everything' as I'd come to admire when I was a young enlisted man. I almost feel like a part of my life has been snuffed out. It also pisses me off to no end that this is yet one more 'benefit' that's being cut from our military members. They are expected to accept the ultimate sacrifice if necessary... but they get less and less in return. It's sickening.

The feelings of betrayal from the whole 'change the locks' comment from the Flight Chief burned me pretty hard. So much so that I'm in tactical retreat mode - my first priority is to get my car home safe and sound so I can finish with the 'light duty garage work' and just start enjoying it. After that, I'll be taking up this issue with leadership, and keep going up the chain until I get the right answers and the shop is restored (along with other benefits, if possible). One reason I've been taking so many pictures at the shop while resurrecting my car and Jeep was to offer testimony to the good things that can be done because of the shop. I doubt it'll help, but I gotta try at least... I still want to be that guy when I retire.

I can't believe you said that! Marines are supposed to surrender. If R. Lee Ermey heard you say that, he would have a massive coronary.

Just because Mister 4x4 had a good run, telling him to let it go and move on, only screws over all the young service members that will follow. With that thinking, eliminating the CONUS commissaries is okay, too. We had that benefit, but the DOD wants to cut costs by eliminating them. That is screwing over the young soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines with families, by eliminating those activities that save those young families significant amounts of money every month. I think that is worth fighting for.

I don't mean to tick anyone off, I just think there are some things worth fighting for, and in my opinion, both the Auto Hobby Shops and Commissaries are in that category.

Just one old soldiers opinion. :salute:
Both of you have offered great advice, albeit on completely opposite sides of the spectrum and each addressing different issues.

73StangCoupe's suggestions would go a long way toward helping ME feel better by coping with the loss... and is sound advice. I appreciate it, Brutha!

However, 73MustangCoupe's advice addresses the greater good and has the potential to right a wrong for MANY people I care about... and I believe that's the advice I will follow when the time's right. I already have a few ideas on how some funding could be secured to help augment some of the benefits being lost to DoD budget issues.

For instance, I wonder if the VA would be interested in taking a more active role in enriching the lives of our military members BEFORE they become broken down veterans - the things provided by organizations like Force Support also serve retirees from all branches, ya know. ;)

remember to thank all parties in November.

obama2.jpg

How did we not turn a profit to pay a single naf employee ?
All the profits go into the general fund, and then are doled out based on the priorities that have been developed. When I ran the base vet clinic at Ft. Bragg many years ago, we always turned a significant profit, but we weren't allowed to upgrade anything, because they would take the money to fund the fitness centers, bowling alleys, daycare centers, etc. It was very frustrating.

You have low level bureaucrats deciding how to prioritize the funds and have never been in the Auto Hobby Shops and have no idea what good they do. If the hobby shop doesn't break even, then they should determine what needs to be done to make the numbers work. Trust me, though. A number of the folks running the system aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Back