brake questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang convertible
94 mustang gt convertible
Sunday got the car out for first time and like many others the brake pedal was a little spongy but the car stopped no proble. i opened the master cylinder and the front well was full of fluid but the back one was almost dry. pulled the wheels and there is no signs that i could see of leaking fluid either on the car or garage floor. looking at the other posts i am thinking the MC needs to be rebuilt. Is that thought correct or should i try other thinge first. thanks george

Also, check the lines to the back. Sometimes they rust through or you get a pin whole and you don't see it unless you crawl. My uneducated guess is that if the front res was OK and the rear was low, there is a leak somewhere. I'd check that before giving up on the master cylinder.

It you are still running the original rubber hoses, I would look to replace those, you may have a pinhole leak, and eventual catastrophic failure if put under a heavy load. There are lots of stainless replacement sets out there reasonably priced.

The first thing I did to mine, which was still 100% original, was to replace all suspension, steering and braking components, because it was really not very safe to drive until I did that.

Last edited by a moderator:
check the rubber hose and crimp where the brake lines split on the rear end. I had this same issue.

If you have power brakes, it's not unusual that the fluid leaks into the power brake booster from the MC .

// Thomas

Back