Roughed in Floor Pans Today

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
2001 Coupe
Roughed in the floor pans today. There was a bit more percussive influence required than I expected in getting them to seat properly, but a hammer and wood block helped adjust a few areas. They're just tacked in with Teks screws until I make sure everything fits the way I want, then we'll follow it with the welder.

It's so nice to walk away from the car feeling like it's finally getting better, since I've spent so much more time "making it worse", through the stripping and removal process. At least we're now squarely on the road back.

20110305122635.jpg

20110305122648.jpg

20110305122742.jpg

Roughed in the floor pans today. There was a bit more percussive influence required than I expected in getting them to seat properly, but a hammer and wood block helped adjust a few areas. They're just tacked in with Teks screws until I make sure everything fits the way I want, then we'll follow it with the welder.

It's so nice to walk away from the car feeling like it's finally getting better, since I've spent so much more time "making it worse", through the stripping and removal process. At least we're now squarely on the road back.
Nice fit Mike ! How are you welding in ? butt joint or overlap ?

Also did you measure from the edge of the rocker to the bottom of the pan in a few places before cutting out the old ones ?

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

Also did you measure from the edge of the rocker to the bottom of the pan in a few places before cutting out the old ones ?

Scott
Thanks, Scott. I'm a novice welder, so I'm more comfortable with an overlap. I left about 9/16 overlap to allow a 1/2 flange (on the tunnel) and about a 1/16" gap to run my weld bead. Unfortunately, I did not take the rocker to pan measurements you mentioned. I assumed (haha) that with the pan properly seated on the frame rails and rear seat area that it would be correct. As I type this, I realize the frame rails could have moved and thrown that off. I should still be able to follow the line of old spot welds on the rocker to get a line on where the old pan was.

Do you think that's sufficient, or should I double check it with something else?

Thanks.

you need the measurment I will get them in the am for you.. overlap is fine with the flanger..you should do some plug welds along the joint too..like every 2" do those first then seal the joint..if possible run a few beads from the bottom too AFTER the top is done..use the flexo to seal underside & the passenger compartment..apply some rust bullet first though like a 3' strip along the weld Looks real good though !

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the company making these risers, listed and sold them to everyone as fastback and coupe. I still see companies selling them that way. They didn't know there was a coupe, fastback and convertible one for 71-3's

They are for a coupe.

I contacted the manufacturer and sent them a set of fastback risers

[ about a year ago ] No news yet.

Coupe risers fit but are about one inch taller

Pappy, I have a useable used pair for the fastback

Don

Laural Mountain Mustangs has the correct seat platforms new.

Scott
Scott,

It's funny you mentioned butt welding on the floor pans. I just read an old Hot Rod issue July 2010 about installing pans. They were giving some tips about cutting the two pans original and new for the butt weld. They were talking about thin gaps for the butt weld and the Lawson cutoff wheel 3 x1 /32 is what they suggested to use. I guess they used a few others and the Lawson was the only true 1/32 inch. The others advertised as such but left a fatter cut. I thought this was interesting. I am going to do my pans next year and am going to scan this article. I hope my pans come out as good as the ones in the pic. Looks good!

WELL GUYS I READ THIS POST CAREFULLY, AND TODAY I FOUND A PAIR THAT WERE JUST CUT OUT OF A FASTBACK, AND I GOT TO SEE A REPRO PAIR BRAND NEW AND THERE IS ABOUT 1-1/4 OR 1-1/2 INCH DIFFERENCE IN THE HIEGHT. I GUESS I STARTED THIS SUBJECT BY SAYING THAT I COULDNT FIND THE PLATFORMS, BUT TODAY I FOUND THE USED ONES AND I'LL BET A CASE OF BEER THAT THEY ARE DIFFERENT. THE COUPE PLATFORMS WILL WORK, BUT I HOPE YOUR NOT TO TALL..

Back