The Rickster - a 73 Mach 1 work in progress

With all this practice the Bronco will go fast.
That rust in the doors can be a sore spot when painting any vehicle. They did not do a great job of sealing at the factory for sure and simple washing the car with running water feeds the rust in the hem.
My friend that restores cars actually pours come POR inside the door and rocks it around so that it runs into all the hem area. If some runs out he wipes off POR is horrible to sand. You might want to do that when you get it patched up. Also to make sure you do not have some paper thin areas take a sharp pick and go along the bottom hem on the outside and push by hand. I had a paper thin area in trunk I was prepping for the Q vert. I have found that brushing sealer or 3-M undercoating inside the doors works much better than trying to spray. Gets into the tight places better.
You doing great work the body shop will want to hire you.
Now is the time to invest in a rotisserie since you have a line of vehicles to do. You have seen mine and it sure saves time and pain when priming and sanding and would make it easy to get to the body shop also. I love the big tires on mine can move easily even outside. I think it was a bottoms up if I recall. I bought used from my friend that restores cars.
If you do get rotisserie I put a sign where you pull the pin to rotate, DOORS, to remind me to strap the doors closed before I rotate.
Will also speed up your assembly you can to all your suspension, brake lines. fuel tank and lots of things with the car on its side so you do not have to go under it.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a week and a half since my last update.  I've been working diligently, getting this thing ready to go to paint, so haven't taken many pictures, but then again, a lot of what I've been doing isn't very picture worthy.  I did get the seat risers welded in.  I've also been cleaning up the underside of the floor, wishing I had a rotisserie, and getting it ready for some primer and paint, before it heads out for the body, hood, fenders, etc., to be painted.  I think I've almost got the wife on board with me getting rotisserie, but we'll have to wait and see. 

I painted rust converter where the front of the rear springs attach, and Wednesday morning will be spraying the underside and engine bay with epoxy and then single stage Chassis black paint.  Then I can get the spring under the back end, get the axle tube mounted and get the wheels under it. 

So I am making progress, although not very visual, and I promise, more pictures to come.  

• Fist Bump 1

Ron

The Rickster, a 1973 Mach 1, being restored as a tribute to my brother who passed away with COVID in July 2020.

Billy, a 1976 Ford Bronco, also needs a lot of work.

El Guapo, a 1986 F150, frame-off Resto-Mod.

Also, in the queue, a 1950 Ford F1 Panel truck and 1962 Falcon Ranchero

Ron, You have to whine more to the wife about your back and neck and getting crap in your eyes. How difficult it it to get up and down and under the car. How slow it is, etc. A rotisserie will put a boost in the build for sure. Keep check on Marketplace and Craigslist might get a buy. I went to one estate sale and there was two there one just assembled and never used and the other still in the box went for half price. I already had one or would have been on that.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

On 3/15/2021 at 12:33 PM, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

Ron, You have to whine more to the wife about your back and neck and getting crap in your eyes. How difficult it it to get up and down and under the car. How slow it is, etc. A rotisserie will put a boost in the build for sure. Keep check on Marketplace and Craigslist might get a buy. I went to one estate sale and there was two there one just assembled and never used and the other still in the box went for half price. I already had one or would have been on that.

I think I almost have her convinced.  I'm pretty sure she would be fine with it, if I find one for a reasonable price.  Yes, she's a keeper.  

Ron

The Rickster, a 1973 Mach 1, being restored as a tribute to my brother who passed away with COVID in July 2020.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is some really awesome progress you went through :thumb: 

These steps are still in front of me, I am waiting for warmer climate so I can paint the rear axle, third member and inner wheel and outer shock tower areas... 

• Like 1

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Beautiful work man!! Outstanding!!!

• Like 1

Just remember John Wick didn’t kill all those people for a random car. It was a Mustang

That's looking great! 

• Like 1

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

That's depressing! I want to be that far!!!

Engine bay looks gorgeous, awesome progresses!

• Like 1

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

Thanks, guys.  I'll try to be more diligent in taking pictures and posting more often.  :-)

Ron

Today, I installed the new steering box and steering linkage.  The steering box was rebuilt by Red Head Steering Gears.  Can you tell?  I still need to tighten up the nut on the pitman arm, and torque everything.  I ordered a 1-5/16 socket from Tekton.com, this afternoon.  They make good stuff and shipping is super fast.  I got shipping confirmation about 30 minutes after I placed my order.  The socket will be here Wednesday, so I can finish the pitman arm tightening then, but I'll have the rest of the steering linkage ready to go by then.  

20210329_155210.thumb.jpg.40e7ee39f029dc8b79508348502d5b44.jpg

• Like 1

Ron

9 hours ago, 73MustangCoupe said:

Today, I installed the new steering box and steering linkage.  The steering box was rebuilt by Red Head Steering Gears.  Can you tell?  I still need to tighten up the nut on the pitman arm, and torque everything.  I ordered a 1-5/16 socket from Tekton.com, this afternoon.  They make good stuff and shipping is super fast.  I got shipping confirmation about 30 minutes after I placed my order.  The socket will be here Wednesday, so I can finish the pitman arm tightening then, but I'll have the rest of the steering linkage ready to go by then.  

20210329_155210.thumb.jpg.40e7ee39f029dc8b79508348502d5b44.jpg

Looks good.

I am also a fan of Tekton tools. I have been buying a ton of their stuff and have loved it so far. I bought a complete 1/4" drive set, 3/8" drive set, 1/2" impact sets, sae and metric wrench sets, impact torx sets, ect ect.  I have been stocking up my 2nd box at home and love their stuff. Lifetime guarantee and no hassle to get replacement.  I broke 2 of the impact torx bits using my big gun and all you have to do is go online and take a pic, fill out form and they usually respond same day with shipping confirmation. Also all their sockets and wrench set are complete and do NOT skip sizes. Which is a huge plus. Keep up the good work on the car and dont be afraid to buy more tools from Tekton. 

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

+1 on the Tekton tools, very good value as are Gear Wrench tools. Chuck

Thanks, Tim and Turtle.  

Yes, Turtle and c9zx.  I have been a fan of Tekton tools for a while and probably more than half of my ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers, etc are Tekton.  The price is competitive, tools are good quality, and warranty is unequaled.  

Ron

@73MustangCoupe

Small question, I have received a new pitman arm and a puller for it a few weeks back.
I haven't removed the old one yet, but saw no wider splines on the what is visible of the shaft while seeing some (4) on the new one to align it correctly. Basically question is, are the 4 wide splines on the arm helping to set it back correctly also on the original shaft?

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

Hey Fabrice,

Once you pull the old pitman arm, you will probably find a flat.  That will allow you to index the pitman arm in one of four directions.  The correct direction should be obvious at that point.  Removing the pitman arm may difficult and require some persuasion with the "hot wrench".  Good luck.

Ron

For sure you are not "slowly but surely". I think you might set a record for a full ground up build on here. You missed your calling but you have several more in the wings to keep you busy.
Great job I am sure you will inspire others to get out there and do it.

• Like 1

David

Today, I got a call I had expected, but was hoping wouldn't be quite so soon.  At the same time, I was hoping it would be soon.  The paint shop called and said they wanted to pick up the Rickster on Friday or Saturday.  I've got some things to finish up before it goes to the paint shop, and some things I'll have to let the paint shop finish. 

I did get the steering linkage bolted together, torqued, and pinned, so that is ready to go.  I'll install the rear axles tomorrow, and will be able to get the rear wheels on it, and it will finally be a roller, for the first time in 7 years.  WooHoo!!

So that's the update for today.  Still making progress on the Rickster, and exciting news, too.  

Ron

Congratulations on seeing it off to paint. Very impressive pace, brother. Thanks for the updates; it has been great to watch. 

• Thanks 1

Lazarus

9-C51-EEB4-A25-A-4-F27-8-D01-0-EB879931296.jpg