Auto shifter refurb...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

OK, so after 350,000+ miles, the auto shifter mechanism in my 'Stang has surely left its best days behind it.

So loose and floppy, I have been afrsid for years it was just going to come ofc one day, leaving me stranded. So...I ordered the new bushings for the shifter ( very common wear item), and of course since I can never "leave well enough alone"...I ordered replacements for the crappy-looking lever and handle too. Along with a new shifter-to- floor gasket and a new rubber "curtain" for the shift rod section of the trim plate.

I replaced the rubber curtain about 20 years ago with a then-available reproduction and it has literally melted 100% and turned into a goopy, sticky black goo that dripped down into the shifter assembly covering everything in a disgusting mess.

That made cleaning up those parts a real chore.

The shifter bushings were compldtely gone...just vanished into bits of plastic dust. And the grease had hardened into rock-hard brown cement. Explains the crappy shifter action...

The new bushings are tight! Even lubed up with some fresh grease, that sucker is tight.

The new shift rod takes a little fiddling around to get the pawl-release cable adjusted correctly, but the whole job is very easy to do.

Was a great opportunity to take the shifter wiring harness ( which must be removed with the shifter) and clean the connections/ pigtails and tidy up the tape-wrap.

Installed a green LED bulb into the indicator while it was apart and it looks great.

If you are just replacing the bushings and lubing it up, the whole job is less than an hour. Installing a new shift rod and adjusting the cable will add another 1/2 hour.

All in all, pretty simple and straight-forward project. If your shifter is loose and wiggly, get 'er done!

Your right about the older rubber curtains. The one that I bought many years ago melted into goop. The one I bought about 5 years ago is holding up fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

The Ford ones were the ones that melted.

I'm not sure which is worse melted shifter seal goo or

original front window goo :)

My original shifter curtain lasted about 20 years and split apart, but never melted. The replacement I installed in '95 is the one that turned to goo. I hope this new one is better quality...it is a Scott Drake part.

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if the different auto trans have different heat profiles. My C4 has always felt hot around the shift shaft after driving a while.

I don't remember ever noticing the shifter handle ever getting noticeably hot in my car over the years.

Don, I do remember the disgusting drippy windshield glue! After my first windshield replacement ( one of many to come over the years...), I never had that problem again.

However, my MK- VII and Torino are both currently experiencing windshield goop drip.

While doing some last minute dusting at a show, I found that the cleaning wipes made by Armour all, the ones in the purple labeled jug were destroying the shifter curtains. Luckily, I carried extras. Still keep two in my prep bag. Haven't had a failure since realization. Been ten years without a failure.

Back