Paint for new ford tooling mach1 grill?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I bought a new ford tooling mach1 grill and it had several imperfections(scuffs and swirl marks) and according to the manufacture, Danial Carpenter it is suppose to be painted. Does anyone know what paint to use. Anyone else have a different manufacture that doesnt require painting. It's too late for me but maybe someone else might have better luck with another manufacturer.

That doesn't sound right... I have seen many NOS grilles over the years and they are not painted.

I think a different supplier may sell repros molded in correct colors.

The standard 73 grills are painted. I believe the standard 71-72 grill is also painted. Never seen a nos deluxe grill painted. Stilman's Obsolete usually has a NOS unit in stock and can advise.

That doesn't sound right... I have seen many NOS grilles over the years and they are not painted.

I think a different supplier may sell repros molded in correct colors.
+1`

For 71 and 72 I tend to agree with Kit. And I have a 73 parts car with a very busted up grill and it is not flaking just faded and broken up/cracked.

Interesting.

Ray

My 73 coupe ( standard grill) was not painted from the factory. My mother was the original owner and it was never in an accident and the grill was never replaced.

The 73 paint is a very thinly applied charcoal grey. I thought it was black the first fifteen years of ownership. Once its out with all the trim off you can see the color change.

Well, I guess that could be. Mine was never damaged and never had any scratch or anything revealing it as painted.

Learn sump'n new every day...

Well, I guess that could be. Mine was never damaged and never had any scratch or anything revealing it as painted.

+1

Now ASAP I am gonna go scratch the crap outta (paint offah) that junk grill!!!

:D

Ray

+1

Now ASAP I am gonna go scratch the crap outta (paint offah) that junk grill!!!

:D

Ray

Ray that's how I found out it was painted, I sanded one with a scuff pad, and reviled the plastic color underneath it..

Back