351 Cleveland 2V H code timing details

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible Mustang 351 C 2V H Code automatic transmission
Hello

Could you please tell me how to properly set the timing advance on my 1971 Stang with 351 Cleveland engine 2V H code ?

My mechanic that has to install oil pump and distributor, asked me those info

Does he need some values ?

Thanks in advance

Dallas

I would start with initial timing (with vacuum advance disconnected and plugged) in the 6 to 12 degree range and a total advance in the 30 to 36 degree range. Make sure it doesn't ping, adjust accordingly.

Fran,

It looks like you are very close to having your Mustang running again.

You only need one vacuum line from the manifold to the pipe that sticks out the front of the distributor. You may have a second pipe that sticks out the side of the distributor and you should leave that pipe open. You may not have this 2nd pipe and that is not a problem.

Make certain that any other open vacuum openings in the engine area and on the carburetor are plugged closed.

Have your mechanic set the timing at 8 degrees.

Set your idle speed.

Simple as that.

You may have other vacuum lines if you still have the original emissions parts still on your car. You can hook these up after you have it running well. This system is what will connect to the other pipe you may have on your distributor.

Tell us when it is running!

- Paul

Thanks a lot

He asked me some values and I will give the 8 degrees

I hope to have my Stang running my biggest fear is that the engine was blown for the reason that I don't know if I drove the car without the oil pump working at all

I will keep you updated

Ciao

Fran

Fran,

It looks like you are very close to having your Mustang running again.

You only need one vacuum line from the manifold to the pipe that sticks out the front of the distributor. You may have a second pipe that sticks out the side of the distributor and you should leave that pipe open. You may not have this 2nd pipe and that is not a problem.

Make certain that any other open vacuum openings in the engine area and on the carburetor are plugged closed.

Have your mechanic set the timing at 8 degrees.

Set your idle speed.

Simple as that.

You may have other vacuum lines if you still have the original emissions parts still on your car. You can hook these up after you have it running well. This system is what will connect to the other pipe you may have on your distributor.

Tell us when it is running!

- Paul

Back