351 Cleveland cam bearings tight values

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible Mustang 351 C 2V H Code automatic transmission
Hello again

My mechanic asked me about the tightening of the cam bearings of my 351 Cleveland engine 2V H code

He told me that I would need to know those values to tight the cam bearings with a dinamometric wrench

Can you help me please ?

Thanks

Dallas

Yes I meant that

Thanks a lot

Dallas

I assume you mean the main caps that hold the crank bearings as the cam bearings are just pressed into place.

Main caps require torquing to 105 ft pounds in 3 or more stages ie. torque to 65 ft lbs, then 85 ft pounds then 105 ft pounds

I assume you mean the main caps that hold the crank bearings as the cam bearings are just pressed into place.

Main caps require torquing to 105 ft pounds in 3 or more stages ie. torque to 65 ft lbs, then 85 ft pounds then 105 ft pounds
+1 The cam bearings are knocked into place with a cam bearing tool. The caps are torqued with a torque wrench as described by Jeff.

Fran,

I think he means setting the valves - your car does not need this.

The lifters will expand with oil pressure and adjust the valves automatically.

There should be no adjustments needed in the engine unless you removed more than the oil pump.

I hope all is well.

- Paul

Thanks Paul

Unfortunately today we check the engine with a good mechanic and he confirmed me that the engine was gone because all the bearings and the crankshaft worked without lubrication.

I don't know how it happened because I've always checked the oil level of the engine but this is the situation

Now here in Italy they are offering me between 11K AND 14 USD and I have to decide what I'm gonna do since here it's impossible to find a new 351 Cleveland engine

I'm very,very sad

This Stang it's really cursed :(

Fran,

I think he means setting the valves - your car does not need this.

The lifters will expand with oil pressure and adjust the valves automatically.

There should be no adjustments needed in the engine unless you removed more than the oil pump.

I hope all is well.

- Paul

Dallas,

We can work together and try to find in Europe something to help you. The 71/73 community is not big as in the US of course, but with all contacts I have and yours we can try to find a solution for you.

Manu

I would like but I should have to pay a lot for the shipping and the custom duties and since I will move to Los Angeles in few month to open my small cafeteria I've already spent lots of money

I hope to find a Stang there

The strange things is that noone of the mechanic here in Italy ( me too ) didn't realize that the engine was blown for the lack of oil and when I started to hear the grindig noise it was too late

I'm very sad, cuz I spent years with my Stang I've worked so hard to pay it with a loan that I have to finish to pay and now this bad surprise

Bring it to the states-an engine rebuild is not that expensive here.

I still say you ought to bring it over here. One engine swap later, and you'll be good to go.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot Manu I really appreciate your support

You are a great bunch

Dallas,

We can work together and try to find in Europe something to help you. The 71/73 community is not big as in the US of course, but with all contacts I have and yours we can try to find a solution for you.

Manu

Dallas,

My pony is my passion, I spend a lot of time, money and energy to repair, upgrade...

2 years I bought this Stang and I didn't drive yet more than 2000 kilometers. The car is almost ready, and will be with some friends there:

http://www.grandprixdepau.fr/

This is where I live. Will be meetings, with very eclectic kind of cars.

I can't imagine after all what I did something similar to you happens to me, but we never know. But this is mecanic and everything can be solved (untill the money is around:)

So if you want, I can look on my side what I can find for you for the better price like if it was for me. Since I have mine, I met people who share the same passion, I know garages specialized in American cars.

Don't hesitate, will be a pleasure for me to help you.

By the way where are you from in Italy? I spent lot of time over there for my job, including on the Adriatic sea working offshore, Sicily and for holidays as well.

Manu

Thanks a lot Manu I really appreciate your support

You are a great bunch

Manu

Last edited by a moderator:
Back