71 mustang coupe first car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximd30

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang coupe
This is My first car. I'm 16 and have been building this for about a year and a half now. I did all the paint, body, wiring, motor work exc (with the exception of tuning the carb) it has a 302 with an aluminum intake and a 600 cfm 4 barrel carb. Let me know what you think :)

Messenger_5859834598170800111_13970934653051153.jpg

Messenger_5859834598170800111_13970934389872383.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
good job with all the work you have done,alway glad to see younger kids into classic cars.

Welcome again from Mesa. Thanks for posting up some pics. I love the car. That's a great first car. Is it rust free? how's the interior?
the interior is garbage because i have'nt been able to afford it :p and yes its a rust free az car :)

My first car (7 years ago at 17) was also a 71 mustang coupe. 302, c4, 9" rear. Learned alot from that car. Keep up the goos work, car looka like its coming out great!

Its nice to have some of us younger guys here. Also great to have older folks to share their wisdom on fixing these old beast.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

And here I was thinking that I was special for getting my first car as a 73 coupe in the 21st century at such a young age. Did you change the carb from a 2bbl? Thats my next step but I don't have the money to change the heads at the same time. How goes it run?

And here I was thinking that I was special for getting my first car as a 73 coupe in the 21st century at such a young age. Did you change the carb from a 2bbl? Thats my next step but I don't have the money to change the heads at the same time. How goes it run?
Don't feel bad. My first car was 1965 coupe that I got when I was 12, restored it with my dad and was finished by time I got my licence and started driving junior in highschool. I had people ask me what my car was! :eek:

Dad always said it a great car to learn to drive with. I think I was 20yo when I bought a $500 beater and was introduced to power brakes really quick. (Coming from drums on the 65)

On topic: I took the factory ford 4bbl intake off my 65 289 and its on the 302 in my 73 coupe, put on a holley 600 carb and it runs really good but it may be just a tad to much carb for stock motor. Gas mileage is horrible. Nothing like hearing those quads open up though :)

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

Looks like you're doing a great job!! I'd say keep up the good work and its always great to see another Mustang saved. I love to see young people involved with vintage cars. My 8 year old son can't wait to get his hands on my 73 Coupe... That is a good thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

71 coupe was my first car as well, here I am almost 18 years later and I still have her. You are doing a great job and the progress will come with time, I had no money to make improvements at that age, it broke down a lot and I hitched a ton of rides. If you treat them well, they are very reliable though, keep up the good work!

Back