Tim's 1973 Mach 1 rebuild thread

Nice progress Tim, it's going to look really good when you're done

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Wow Tim, excellent rebuild and information, only one thing confuses me is the fitting of a lambda sensor, can you explain how this helps and how it is hooked up, I'm sure they would not have been on the original cars.

I'm glad you talked about Ohio Mustangs, I've never ordered from them but am reassured by your post of such great service. Thanks :)

John

Nice progress Tim, it's going to look really good when you're done

Thank you, Jbojo, very appreciated!

John,

thank you :)

Ok, let's go - that thing with the lambda sensor is not original to our cars, that's right.

With this I am able to overwatch my exhaust gases and so the settings of my carb, the response and the fuel consumption of my car in the end. It is a quick possibility to fine-tuning your settings on the street after doing a good base setting after a rebuilt or other important steps on your engine which changes it's performance.

I have bought this set

http://www.ebay.de/itm/INNOVATE-DB-LED-WIDEBAND-BLAU-AFR-breitband-lambda-KIT-LC-1-O2-SENSOR-3795-/300977249388?hash=item4613a45c6c

and the fitting for the headers was included in that kit too.

And with Don from Ohio Mustang:

I can absolutely recommend his parts and his service! He is very quick, his packages are bombproof and the parts are normally in 1-2 weeks at your door in Europe! He responds always fast and comprehensive to your questions. The parts he sells are from the best available reproductions. But he has also a huge bunch of used parts - always have a quick-check with him is not a mistake if you need something new or used ;)

Hope that helped,

Tim

Wow Tim, excellent rebuild and information, only one thing confuses me is the fitting of a lambda sensor, can you explain how this helps and how it is hooked up, I'm sure they would not have been on the original cars.

I'm glad you talked about Ohio Mustangs, I've never ordered from them but am reassured by your post of such great service. Thanks :)

John

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

IT'S IN :D

How cool is that!?!

I am happy dancebanana

Another milestone of my project is finished...

check ::thumb::

dsc_1157hlukx.jpg

dsc_1163zcuy9.jpg

dsc_1164hwu9l.jpg

Tim

I very much enjoy reading your build thread. I know English is a second language but you do very well. The minimal differences in word choice along with the telling of the story as you go, plus the detailed "how to" makes this among the best build threads on the site.

Good job, good work, and good writing. Keep the posts coming.

spacer.png

Don,

thank you very much for the great compliments! I appreciate that very much and I am happy that you enjoy my work and writings.

The community is also very helpful to improve my English ;)

I will do my very best and keep you up to dated, guys!

Tim

You do nice work that engine looks great. Everything you did was really great. Wicked cool car and nice pics.

Going fast is fun but life is short so slow down and enjoy the ride :D Frank

Fantastic build thread with story and photos!

Really enjoyed reading along one of the best journals

on this site.

Be Proud

Thanks

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

Paul,

thank you very much for your kind words and compliments!

That makes me happy and motivates even more to go on!

Tim

While waiting for a lots of parts from the States I care for the little things in life ;)

Had restored my space saver tire inflator I got from Epay and wrote a little tutorial about it for all of you:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-space-saver-tire-inflator-how-to-restore-tutorial

Before:

_57ppspy.jpg

After:

dsc_1271e4srz.jpg

Looks nice, right ;) ?!?

This weekend I had a great road-trip to Mike in Luxembourg and I did not come back with empty hands. From a friend of Mike I got some fine treasures I put on my RAM...

dsc_1208m3smx.jpg

That bumper is WAY better than my original one... ::thumb::

As I came home from my long trip - I love driving through the night - I found some parts which has arrived in the meantime - yippieeeeh :D

The work will go on!

Rare connector for charcoal canister to ram air filter

dsc_1216kjses.jpg

New qualitiy harness for the alternator

dsc_1217kus3h.jpg

Kit for my original Motorcraft 70 AMP alternator

dsc_1212tjumn.jpg

Spring for my space saver bottle

dsc_12186iu6m.jpg

Tim

Wow Tim wish you were here. I have the dash on my 73 vert torn to pieces. Took all the bad wiring out the pervious owner had added and am scratching my head on some things. I wish you were here with your knowledge of just doing it. Had to buy a tilt turn signal like you did off ebay yesterday to fix my broken one. Great work and keep us informed on your ongoing build.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

David,

thank you. Yes, I would be glad to meet you and help you out. I went through mine last year and experienced a lot. It wasn't that bad - the previous owner added a bunch of cables which were wired horrifying but he did not touch the original connectors and plugs so I could restore it all to original specs with some new wire in between...

Tim

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

unfortunately my job pays his tribute and I have not that much of time I want to have the last weeks...

So in the little time I had I went over the power steering pump, the original 3-row-radiator and the original fan shroud. In parallel I restored a spoiler for my father's vert I came across luckily and finished our motorhome for my wife and me.

By restoring the radiator and wanting to get it back in the engine bay I discovered I need some new lower radiator support brackets (they are too bad), have to rewire a new spring for the lower radiator hose (it came out into many pieces) and have to buy some new concourse correct hoses because I have only a mixture of original ones and newer not correct ones. So I did a sweeping blow and bought another bunch of new parts on your continent waiting for getting home to daddy and his little mustang...

For the power steering pump: for all you interested people I created a tutorial in which you have a detailed step by step how-to for rebuilding you pump to original specs:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-power-steering-pump-how-to-restore-tutorial

Have fun and success ::thumb::

Before:

dsc_1404e8bdd.jpg

After:

dsc_1485edum0.jpg

Fan shroud before:

dsc_14786cuzp.jpg

dsc_1480b0uee.jpg

After:

dsc_1481dfuas.jpg

dsc_1482ceujy.jpg

I stripped it with paint stripper because it was painted with some horrible brushed lacquer. After stripping I painted it with some heat resistant satin black lacquer. The same with the radiator - now it looks like new!

That's me by sanding the spoiler for daddy's vert - there I am still laughing...

dsc_14909kjzg.jpg

dsc_14916ajez.jpg

dsc_1492u7kvc.jpg

dsc_149336k6h.jpg

dsc_1494bfjai.jpg

dsc_1495tzjjk.jpg

dsc_1496gbkh5.jpg

Installing the repopped stands on the spoiler was a PITA! They had to be fitted for the deck lid and it's concave top curve - 3 hours of hammering, bending, filing and painting... But the happiness of my dad was worth it!

And this is lucky dad (shot the photo) with lucky mom after re-installed spoiler - the vert had one installed long time ago so he is happy to have one back there!

img-20150617-wa0000_myu28.jpg

img-20150617-wa00017duc9.jpg

Looking good or am I wrong... ;) !?!

Tim

First, I want to say this is a great thread and you seem to be coming along with your project!

Second- Can you please direct me to the exact brand of "heat resistant satin black lacquer" that you used? After the rebuild and repaint of my engine I need to refinish my fan shroud. Thanks a million!

Thank you very much!

Concerning the "heat resistant satin black lacquer" I bought one from the automotive section of a DIY market. It is nothing other than engine paint out of a rattle can as you can buy it everywhere. I think it is a "no name"-brand from Germany so it will be not useful for you but if you want I can check the rattle can.

But first I used an adhesion agent for plastic parts directly on the surface of the fan shroud. It was also one from the automotive section of the DIY market. After a short period of time for drying I applied one thin layer of the heat resistant lacquer and one wet.

It came out like you can see on the photos with a nice black satin look.

Hope that helped!

Tim

Just wanted to add for clarification that lacquer in this case does not mean necessarily mean lacquer as a type of paint.

In German (and in lux.) we call every type of paint lacquer no matter if it is actually nitrocellulose or polyester, enamel or water based or whatever.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Just wanted to add for clarification that lacquer in this case does not mean necessarily mean lacquer as a type of paint.

In German (and in lux.) we call every type of paint lacquer no matter if it is actually nitrocellulose or polyester, enamel or water based or whatever.

+1

Thank you Mike for clarification ::thumb::

Tim

• 3 months later...

Time goes by in big steps - especially if you have to restore a car...

In the meanwhile I was not twiddling my thumbs but there were holidays with my wife and much work with my daily business so it went slower than thought but that's always the same thing as you all know, too...

Here are my updates on the built:

After rebuilding my power steering pump I did the original 70 amp generator. It was automatically built in when you orderend the rear window defroster. And the rear window defroster was a part of the T5-package, when you ordered a car for Germany - it is very cold, wet and dark in the black forest ;)

Parts

dsc_1212tjumn.jpg

First I cleaned the housing

dsc_1982asaxy.jpg

dsc_1983g2xat.jpg

Fit in the new bearing

dsc_19849lbl5.jpg

Cleaning the coil

dsc_1985kra4l.jpg

Drive out the back bearing

dsc_1986b7bfn.jpg

dsc_1987eib34.jpg

Fit in the new one

dsc_1989cey71.jpg

Changing the brushes and the messed up connector

dsc_1990volzo.jpg

dsc_1991x8lzk.jpg

Assembled and painted with a light coat VHT engine enamel

dsc_1993ejaad.jpg

With new pulley and fan

dsc_1997inl2c.jpg

Then it was time to reassemble the whole engine compartment - first the cooling package ;)

dsc_1994xmbvr.jpg

dsc_199589a73.jpg

Power steering pump - even restored the original cooler on top of it - every gill!

dsc_1996ejbrh.jpg

Here completed with the alternator

dsc_1998u0bkp.jpg

dsc_20005zly0.jpg

dsc_2001nvxoh.jpg

One day I could not resist my old passion for BMW - a very good offer resulted in a buy of a very well kept BMW 335i from 1988 with 5-speed manual and some factory M-package-supplies - a real eye candy and coming collectors piece!

Here some pics:

dsc_2008tjar1.jpg

dsc_2007ewx4t.jpg

But back to the Mustang :D

I fitted the ram air setup and began to rewire all the wiring harness in the engine bay - they didn't look as good as the engine bay now so it was a no-brainer...

dsc_2030v9xg2.jpg

dsc_2032jmuth.jpg

I used normal electric isolation tape from Tesa - looks perfect!

dsc_2035wuutb.jpg

Then I reassembled the whole alternator harness

dsc_2037w8uje.jpg

Finished generally speaking

dsc_2036fuudw.jpg

dsc_2038ecu5i.jpg

dsc_2039lsuf7.jpg

dsc_2040v7ui3.jpg

The original battery tray was too bad underrusted so I decided to buy and paint a new repro one - not a bad idea, very good quality!

dsc_2070ybu4q.jpg

dsc_20712ju6a.jpg

More progress with more tubes :D

dsc_2078rtpqm.jpg

dsc_207977op5.jpg

dsc_2080slojp.jpg

dsc_2081wmofo.jpg

dsc_2082vyo99.jpg

It was now ready to get off, the little rascal - but! I reminded some really important for me and searched for a little box with some NOS parts - I had in mind that there was at least one broken valve rocker arm oil baffle and I bought some NOS - tadaaaaaaaaaa ::thumb::

In the end I checked all and there where two broken - each on one leg

dsc_2076bsoop.jpg

dsc_2077yeqju.jpg

Check ::thumb::

Now it was time to get ready for rumble and let the whole thing fired up :whistling:

This was friday two weeks before from now - I slept bad and was very nervous. Would all have been right I tightened togehter the last half year - would there have been no leaks? Oh man... :shootself:

First my best friend Oli and I pumped some oil in this big Clevo

dsc_20861drwl.jpg

Then turned the key, the engine turned too and... nothing! Ok, it was a long way for the gas to go to the carb and the last half year it had enough chance to dry out like the Kalahari desert... I had all triple-checked before so this engine must run!

We put some gas directly in the carb AND...

F I R E :banana:

Runs and sounds good - first stage done ::thumb::

Tim

Mike, thank you for the kind words! Glad, you appreciate it!

At the moment I load up the video from the engine start up - takes some time...

After the succesfull start-up of the engine I followed stripping the car. At these point many thanks to 72HCODE - his tutorial made the removal of my roof line drip rails happen - without destroying anything!

A little bit of light surface rust but otherwise it is all good. Happy to see some gold again ;) Look at the leftovers from the original vinyl roof...

dsc_2110deol3.jpg

dsc_21127sql2.jpg

dsc_2113rerp0.jpg

dsc_2116ztqn0.jpg

dsc_2117iwp03.jpg

dsc_2118wwrsx.jpg

dsc_2119ebpsy.jpg

dsc_212153rt6.jpg

dsc_2122w3p36.jpg

Stripping the doors I fell over the next problem: the window brackets! With them mounted it is impossible to remove the side windows! But they are mounted with some kind of rivets to the glass and I tried many HOURS to loosen them - without success :@ So I had to the only way which was left: (abrasive) cutting with a little tool named "Dremel" - it is some kind of a multi tool with billions of different attachments. In 10 minutes they were all gone last night and the window could leave the doors - for gods sake! What a bad design, Ford-guys, really... :-/ Never thought of someone who are willing to change out a broken window?!?!?!?

dsc_2126ykrhg.jpg

dsc_2129utowk.jpg

dsc_21241pq1k.jpg

dsc_2127ksq1c.jpg

Finally empty and tons lighter :D

dsc_2130v7q1f.jpg

The next steps will be to remove the doors, mask the car and begin with sanding - keep you up to dated ::thumb::

Tim

It's the tiny things that make it happen :D

Yesterday evening I removed the doors anyway and hey: they aren't as heavy as I thought ;)

Here are some pictures - the last pictures from the inside for a long time before masking the whole car and beginning with sanding - enjoy ::thumb::

dsc_2138s3xyi.jpg

dsc_2137hyyiw.jpg

dsc_2146qhytu.jpg

dsc_2147taywf.jpg

dsc_2152p4zqm.jpg

dsc_2153rhl31.jpg

Some pictures of the engine bay - it will masked totally too! Excuse me for the aftermarket oil dip stick - I have an original on already there but I must check the optimal oil level first with this one because of the 7 qts pan...

dsc_2139jrap5.jpg

dsc_2140p4xnx.jpg

dsc_2141g3xfm.jpg

dsc_214267xpq.jpg

dsc_2143y6xcf.jpg

dsc_2144m5bst.jpg

dsc_21451bbrr.jpg

The color of my new paint matches the original Gold Glow very good - not absolutely perfect but nearly as you can see. I don't like Audi so much but this color is cool ;)

dsc_2148k2xoi.jpg

dsc_215145y3n.jpg

dsc_2150enxjq.jpg

Tim