Tim's 1973 Mach 1 rebuild thread

The hood is in quite good condition - jippieeeeh ::thumb::

All of the feared spots are fine. One small hole on the outside, some torned hood-socket and the outer sheets of the hood latch bolt need some sheet metal. A little bit of love and it will look right ;)

dsc_0113u4jda.jpg

dsc_0122pvj1q.jpg

dsc_0116w2kf1.jpg

dsc_01018wsym.jpg

dsc_01052psyx.jpg

dsc_01042ds8b.jpg

dsc_01124qjoi.jpg

Interesting patterns also are opening up - looks as if the hood was painted twice factory. The first time in Gold with the Ram Air Tutone - although this does not cover original holes for the hood latches left and right! The second time in Gold with no TuTone. Mysterious...

dsc_0120m8jji.jpg

dsc_01211rjyd.jpg

dsc_0127gkjbj.jpg

dsc_0128umkyf.jpg

The rocker panel is fine!

dsc_0133xasvu.jpg

Thats all about the passengers side. Tomorrow I will begin to sand the drivers side!

Thanks to our friend Manu from France I got the original molding for my original vinyl roof. Flawless with original clips. Manu, I love you ::thumb:: Many thanks - you have one free by me... ;)

dsc_0094dvsnl.jpg

dsc_0095rls5s.jpg

dsc_0096u4sfc.jpg

No I am "forced" to do it. Do the damn vinyl roof, Tim. Yes! I will, master. This is how it could look if it was mine with the vinyl roof added - this perspective has it all - I am convinced now! It looks damn good - for me. But I could be a bit more gold glowing but that is now on my turn... :D

1973_00018_011jk1g.jpg

Accompanied by such beautiful thoughts I will go to bed :D::thumb::

Good night - I will keep you posted!

Well, you are doing a nice job of knocking the ugly off that quarter panel!

Jeff,

thank you! Yes - I think now alone without that whole crap on it it looks more... natural :D

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

It is interesting to see all the layers as you are sanding, kind of reminds me if some art work I have seen in the past.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Tim,

You're car is looking good. Agree with Jeff, the different layers reminded me of the hippie movement art work and the early Laugh In show:)

thVSE24JN9.jpg.5f4c1ea0186b77500e31b017ee30fc4b.jpg

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Great Thread, thanks

73 ragtop, 1999 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue Paint, Phoenix Engine 302-335HP,  Edelbrock Carb & Performer manifold; c4 with 2000 stall and shiftkit; 3:55 auburn limited slip differential, Hedman shorties; Car Chemistry Exhaust

Classic Air; Tilt Steering Wheel; 1999 Chrysler Sebring bucket Seats ; power windows;

@Jeff and John:

Hehehe, yes, you are right lollerz

That's about the same my wife, my parents and some friends called it - late 60ies tie-dye-style :D

They even said I should conserve it like this... Nope :P

Ok, if it was an old Ford Pickup like an F1, that it would have style but my big body - nooooooo... ;)

@mudbilly:

thank you - glad you like it ::thumb::

Tim

I think the vinyl roof looks really cool. It makes the blackout on the hood make more sense. What grit paper are you using on your sander to make that artwork? Great thread.

Hi,

thank you ::thumb::

Yes, I am in the same sense - together with all the black parts like the hood, the rear louvers, the stripes and the spoilers it looks like it must be there ;)

I first sand the first layers down with a disk-type or orbital sander with 120 grit paper, dry. After that I am sanding the spots in which I couldn't have sanded with the machine with blocks and 120 grit by hand. After that I use 180 grit and then 240, all by hand and with some blocks. Then you have a quite good surface before applying the primer.

Tim

That color was not hideous. It was what hideous calls hideous ;)

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Guest Pastel Blue

Just sat down with a coffee after dinner and read this entire thread. Very nice work! Your determination is what helps keep these old girls on the road! Cheers

@Jeff & Mike:

Gnagnagnagnagna... :nutkick:

I didn't buy it because of the color, you know :P

@Pastel Blue:

Thank you for your kind words ::thumb::

I like your motivating painting-thread of you vert... ;)

Tim

Tim,

Glad you found the vinyl top trim. I have been looking for months and not seen any. Great to get rid of all that old paint before you put down new. 43 year old paint is not a good place to start for sure. Since you didn't have hood locks maybe they screwed up at factory and painted the black out and had to go back and paint just the car color. I have a Maverick I bought new and it was painted twice at factory must have been really bad or something wrong.

Looking like you are making a lot of progress just keep going and the end will come.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

David,

thank you for your encouraging words :goodpost:

I kept on going as you said and made some more progress: sanding, sanding, until the doctor comes: D

I opened the left side - first it looked as if I can get way better there ... But that was just "better" hidden than on the passenger side - the same spots as on the right side have to be replaced. Good thing is the sheets of metal have arrived now - without dents and pretty good quality.

Here I first removed the first paint layers - as an extra for you I took one picture for you in this stage - one for the Hippie-Tie-Dye-1968-guys :D

dsc_0207bgj1r.jpg

At this stage I still thought that would not be too bad:

dsc_0209lzjrn.jpg

dsc_0210unj7k.jpg

dsc_0211mtjfl.jpg

dsc_02123mjke.jpg

dsc_0213pskxn.jpg

dsc_0214dzjtk.jpg

To rest my knees, I then made the roof - I just wanted to see no more pink: mrgreen:

The spot that stands out from the color especially was wavy and weird - the previous owner said once there fell something onto it and then he repaired it his style. Well - I was very excited ... Odd efflorescences made themselves visible. And then? Nothing - all the best to the original paint - good roof - bingo :D

dsc_0221e8kwj.jpg

dsc_02225tj3h.jpg

dsc_0223kqk9a.jpg

dsc_0224u0jrg.jpg

Then it went to the next stage - now more to see of the metal meltdown (you know "Judas Priest"?) ...

dsc_0218tskzp.jpg

dsc_0219s9kna.jpg

dsc_0229uvu0k.jpg

dsc_0231fku26.jpg

dsc_0232chua7.jpg

dsc_0233o9u37.jpg

dsc_0235ttuwt.jpg

dsc_0236j4u05.jpg

Here is original tin - there was bondo too one time and then it was repainted 2 times in gold. The car was a total of 3 times painted in gold before the other colors came over it. Not bad... :mrgreen: I think that back in the good old times the original tin has sunk down or torn or ... and then they primed, bondoed and painted it gold again. Anyway, I have the spot nicely smoothed with the long sanding board - the rest does primer, filler and Co. afterwards next weeks...

dsc_02371xub0.jpg

For relaxing I then sanded the side panels (or "Fastback") a little - worked quite well and is a nice feeling to prepare the surface like that:

dsc_0226yhjia.jpg

dsc_0238wxu8u.jpg

dsc_0240aqu46.jpg

On the b-pillar it is important for me that the original bead remains. Luckily there was primer, bondo and wild tinning only beneath. Since the lower part is full of holes anyway and the wheel arch left of it until the bottom has its best days gone I will cut it below that. I do not want to know in detail what is underneath anymore...

dsc_0239ohuui.jpg

Next week to be continued :)

Tim

From time to time I enjoy working with my dad. Not often possible but when it is a pleasure for me to share our passion with the man who brought me to that cars since I was a baby... ;)

His vert needs some TLC now - first we replaced the rear drum brake pads and wheel cylinders, next will be the master cylinder (first one delivered was the wrong one :-/ ), some hoses and little here and there. After spending his vert some new concourse correct battery cables his lights shines more bright - and the eyes of my father too :D

Before:

dsc_0257kukrb.jpg

dsc_0258p1j5t.jpg

dsc_0272akjlp.jpg

During:

dsc_0264h9jll.jpg

dsc_0265kmj65.jpg

dsc_0266fukkz.jpg

img-20160312-wa0003gau41.jpg

After:

dsc_02676ojo3.jpg

dsc_0268rxk4b.jpg

dsc_02789iuo2.jpg

dsc_0279qeua9.jpg

img-20160312-wa00041ou4y.jpg

Tim

looks much better. Hope you and your Dad get to spend lots of time enjoying your passion together

That's cool that you and your dad enjoy the same hobby and are able to spend time together working on the car. He has a nice looking vert.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

looks much better. Hope you and your Dad get to spend lots of time enjoying your passion together

That's cool that you and your dad enjoy the same hobby and are able to spend time together working on the car. He has a nice looking vert.

It's always good to spend time with Dad.

That's cool. My dad and I unfortunately do not share a single interest. :(

Thank you, guys! Yes, I enjoy it very much and hope we are able to spend as much time as possible together! Working on our cars togehter is the most exciting thing for me with my dad and fills me with proud that I can give him something back with my knowledge on Mustangs. Btw: his Mustang is one absolutely original q-code-car from 1973, a true survivor with all original paint and it's a T5 ::thumb::

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

it's time for updating :whistling:

After recovering from my bad crash I had some little time to work on anyway. So I cared about the rear of my big buddy - specific the rear panel and the trunk. Besides some pin-holes nothing serious - I was surprised positive ;)

Let the pictures speak from itself!

There I started

dsc_0291k1sft.jpg

dsc_0293cbsx6.jpg

dsc_03014ts71.jpg

Then it was all pure metal - no dents, no bad repair-experiment - nothing but some pin holes ::thumb::

dsc_03951dxyo.jpg

dsc_03963jyo6.jpg

dsc_0397jmx1t.jpg

Passenger side

dsc_039805yoc.jpg

dsc_0399dwz84.jpg

Driver side

dsc_0400r0a7x.jpg

dsc_0401u9a1x.jpg

Now repaired by welding and sanding

Passenger side

dsc_0438adu14.jpg

dsc_0439rkuhz.jpg

dsc_0440ztuiq.jpg

Driver side

dsc_0441ehuw3.jpg

dsc_0442eru7q.jpg

I even could restore some rusted out parts of the driprail - never made that before but with trial and a sensitive hand I had succes ::thumb::

dsc_0413z5a1x.jpg

dsc_0411nulus.jpg

dsc_0417oeu90.jpg

After that I made short work of the trunk floor - there were also only some small pin holes which easily could filled by welding.

dsc_0433d8uwj.jpg

dsc_0434z7uro.jpg

dsc_0435fdueu.jpg

I only could not finish the small rest of the trunk floor - my sanding-tool, the drilling machine, gave up. So sometimes your tools say to you when it is time to go to bed :D

dsc_0429zyuly.jpg

Next week I will buy a new (cheap) one for the dirty work to protect my good one and then the trunk floor will come to a good end ;)

In parallel I drill out the original welding points as a preparation for restoring my quarter panels. It works like a charm - on the rear ends. On the downside of the quarter panels, where the outer panel meets the trunk floor, it is more difficult to find the right point drilling out the original welding points. But that will be another story... ;)

dsc_0403mtlsk.jpg

Happy Easter, guys :thankyouyellow:

Tim