Tim's 1973 Mach 1 rebuild thread

Hi Tim

Great job, guess both of us will complete our restoration soon. Would be nice to meet you one day.

cheers

Wolfgang

Thank you, Wolfgang! Soon is relatively - as it concerns me... ;) Hope to meet you one day, too ::thumb::

Very nice! Enjoyed reading this. I had a 73 T5 mach as well. Saved it from the crusher.

Thank you very much! Cool - where did it go?!? My father has a 73 T5, too - a vert...

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Tim,

That QTR panel replacement looks really good.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Thanks, John - your words are very appreciated!

I am satisfied with fitment now too. Hope to get some time soon to continue with the other side...

Tim

0714417__ixa2p.jpg

I read the first page of your project thread and I am extremely impressed. Great job. I needed to ask about the tire/wheel combo of this picture. I love the looks of the car with those rear tires. Can you share the tire/wheel rear/front combination in that picture?

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Hi Tony,

thank you for your words :thankyouyellow: Great, you appreciate my work!

Yes, no problem: it's 275 / 60 R 15 in the rear and 235 / 60 R 14 in the front on American Racing chromed steel wheels. The offset I do not know but If you want I could measure them in the next weeks...

Hope it helps!

Tim

Hi Tony,

thank you for your words :thankyouyellow: Great, you appreciate my work!

Yes, no problem: it's 275 / 60 R 15 in the rear and 235 / 60 R 14 in the front on American Racing chromed steel wheels. The offset I do not know but If you want I could measure them in the next weeks...

Hope it helps!

Thanks... that will be awesome if you can tell me more about your wheel dimensions. Do you have a side shot of your car? I am looking at alternatives of tire sizes. This one is appealing but i know the rear tires would be a little taller than the fronts so I want to get an idea if the difference is noticeable.

1971 M-code Mach 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I think, the picture above shows perfect how the dimensions are. For my taste it is a little too big in the rear so I will update to 15" all around and a bit smaller in width...

de1u7l.jpg

Tim

Wow that is so awesome 😎 [THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars

sent from my 2303. Regards Lars DK73 Denmark

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling:

Well you are so right 😎 [THUMBS UP SIGN] They are what I call the best looking Mustangs ever built [TONGUE][TWO HEARTS]😎[THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars

sent from my 2303. Regards Lars DK73 Denmark

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling:

Car sits nice and looks great!

Mine were also 275-60 in back and I had 225-70 up front, on stock 15" magnums, before this new build. Now they're even taller in back.

• 1 year later...

Hey Mustang-fanatics,

it takes a long time to continue but now I am in again! In the meantime I had to manage lots of trouble in my life - now I am on a safe and good road again and I can look into a lucky future. So I have enough power to move that baby a good piece of work forward in every minute I can afford this - with (soon) 3 children now and a beautiful wife not as easy every day... ;)

Here are the updates of the last weeks/months:

After welding I formed the quarter panels back over weeks of painstaking work with cold-tin and aluminum-bondo and tons of dust...

dsc_0157irob5.jpg

dsc_01514oooe.jpg

dsc_0158vpoic.jpg

dsc_0152dcrwf.jpg

After I was fairly pleased with the result I aligned the holes for the quarter rubber bumper fillers new by welding and fitting them exactly to the new quarter panels

dsc_254296p99.jpg

dsc_254420p5z.jpg

Now I went to the hood - there was a lots of work too because of much too much layers of paint paint, rust on the hood latch catch area and a ripped hood catch bumper area... Lots of sanding and welding too. The weldings were filled - as always - with cold-tin like this

http://www.petec.de/anwendungen/karosserie-verklebungen/karo-zinn-karosserieausgleichsmasse/

dsc_2755aju02.jpg

dsc_2756wgu9q.jpg

dsc_2757rcuqo.jpg

dsc_275973uhu.jpg

dsc_28431zunz.jpg

dsc_2844ueueu.jpg

dsc_2846ckuer.jpg

dsc_2924d7u9a.jpg

dsc_29224qun4.jpg

Furthermore I cutted the holes for the original tooling hood lock pins from Ohio-Don

dsc_2753kqu08.jpg

[/url]

dsc_2754mhulp.jpg

dsc_2752v8uka.jpg

dsc_2938pxujw.jpg

dsc_2939jjuff.jpg

Then sanding and straighten the front side of the hood

dsc_2928q9u6u.jpg

dsc_2930x3unf.jpg

dsc_29344vu3s.jpg

dsc_2975vjusd.jpg

dsc_297804u5e.jpg

dsc_29818eucj.jpg

Tim

After finishing the hood I went to the deck lid - it needed also some work...

dsc_2991zvuq6.jpg

dsc_3009biu5l.jpg

dsc_3001qouo3.jpg

dsc_2995nnupm.jpg

dsc_29977durl.jpg

dsc_2999mpuzj.jpg

dsc_3000qyu0g.jpg

dsc_3051jquxc.jpg

dsc_30584xuhx.jpg

dsc_30629kulz.jpg

dsc_3065bmu1w.jpg

dsc_3067etu82.jpg

• Like 1

Tim

Got a new tank inkl. sender unit and gaskets for low - couldn't say no :D 

dsc_30942eund.jpg

I name it "art" :D :D :D 

dsc_3096c8u2b.jpg

Tim

Driver's door - this is the last part which will need a little TLC... :-/ 

Measuring for sheet metal - updates over the next weeks...

dsc_3148afuy0.jpg

dsc_3149opure.jpg

dsc_3150orucu.jpg

dsc_31511lu3n.jpg

dsc_315276u9j.jpg

dsc_3153flu1e.jpg

dsc_31543burz.jpg

dsc_3155ugulx.jpg

dsc_31564aumd.jpg

dsc_3157jouph.jpg

dsc_31597kufb.jpg

It is doable - with that in mind, that here in Europe there are not any better doors and a new one will cost me 1.500 Dollars it is doable :D

2-3 days and some sheet metal, that's it - it's all depending on time and effort...

Tim

Wow, nice progress Tim!

Thinking I need do same on my 71... pfff

[with (soon) 3 children]

bye bye free time :)

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

Repair of the '73 front bumper

It is not my original bumper because this is too rusty under the urethane and to much layers of paint and bondo on it. I bought a good used one with very very minor rust, some chips and only 3 layers of paint from Luxembourg, a few hundred miles from my home, for 350 Dollars two years ago. With all the metal parts and the bumper mounts included, already restorerd. It was a well invested drive and buy! And I met "Luxstang" and other nice people - but that's another story... wink.gif

It needed a few days but it was doable and no rocket science. I used a good 2 components polyurethane glue in black to fill all the scars. I needed two glues and 8 mixing tubes for all the steps and some sanding paper for hand/block sanding and the excenter sanding machine. With the dremel I cutted every crack and tear to a "V", then filled them with the glue. After let it sit for one night I sanded it down and repeated the step until I was satisfied. Now it is ready for the paint shop to have it primed, filled and painted in Gold Glow thumb.gif

The trick of the whole thing is to find a good and easy restorable base for a reasonable price. This was the only restorable bumper in Europe I found for the last years - and I got it only by speaking with friends from our forum here. If I had nothing more to do one day I will restore my original bumper - but this will be a task for lots of weeks and many glue...

I used this glue:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/2K-Kleberset-Spoilerkleber-GFK-Carbon-Karosseriekleber-Industriekleber-Klebstoff/130767133201?hash=item1e72541a11:g:hMgAAOSwXPNaS4wV

dsc_3184wju61.jpg

dsc_3266m1usd.jpg

dsc_3274fwuk9.jpg

dsc_327813uhj.jpg

dsc_3287mpuoe.jpg

dsc_3288hzuem.jpg

dsc_329048uah.jpg

dsc_3284f4ujy.jpg

dsc_3285dqucw.jpg

dsc_3291ovueu.jpg

dsc_3302esulf.jpg

dsc_3312tdumz.jpg

dsc_33145ru3z.jpg

dsc_3315pmu8r.jpg

dsc_331929uqd.jpg

dsc_3328youok.jpg

Finished - looking and feeling good - hope the paint guy will see it the same ... ;)

Btw (edit):

the bumper had 3 layers of paint: first a light green metallic, then silver and finally yellow...

• Like 1

Tim

Wow, nice progress Tim!

Thinking I need do same on my 71... pfff

[with (soon) 3 children]

bye bye free time :)

Thank you!

You forgot the new house... rofl 

It is always some time - but you have to lay focus on some things from time to time... ;) 

And you must have an understanding wife :whistling:

Tim

Found the rear bumper mounts complete - sent to the paint stripping company...

dsc_3355qiuuc.jpg

dsc_3356ckuas.jpg

dsc_3358zuurh.jpg

dsc_33601ough.jpg

dsc_336113ub4.jpg

dsc_33700qusq.jpg

dsc_3371ysuha.jpg

dsc_33723jufp.jpg

Tim

Bought new metal

dsc_33835zush.jpg

I do know that the cut out rear valance is not period correct for my late '73 Mach 1 because the had probably all turn down pipes from the factory but I like my straight slanted pipes as the Mach 1 from 71/72, so I went that route - my Resto-Mod-Concourse-style :D

dsc_3438rxu1d.jpg

dsc_3439rrujq.jpg

Rear bumper distance piece

dsc_3424hkul4.jpg

dsc_342942uvd.jpg

dsc_34372suxe.jpg

dsc_34310suzd.jpg

Tim

My new arrival from USA - it was my first Mustang-project with my kids - after soldering and glueing 2 hours togehter we finished it - my kids where very proud of their first Mustang project :D 

dsc_3396jwudk.jpg

dsc_3395rpu2v.jpg

dsc_33985eu0y.jpg

It drives like new ::thumb::

More coming soon...

Tim