Sprint Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71coupe

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang
Could I possibly have a "Sprint Coupe"...look at the pics. As was sanding down the black paint, I came across this light blue. I know they say the Sprint's came out in 1972, but according to the dash VIN my car is a 1971. But, I'm seeing so much of the blue on the car and the back seats are two tone color.

Is there anywhere else on the car I can get information on it, beside the dash VIN?

The magnum wheels came with the car, when I bought it.

Here is link to Sprint Coupe car timeline

http://www.themustangsource.com/timeline/71-73/72/index.htm

Here are my pics...

or maybe I just have a "Frankenstein Car"???

What do my fellow mustang friends have to say? Your thoughts, opinions, comments are greatly appreciated.

2011-02-19_15.49.08[1].jpg

2011-03-06_15.55.15[1].jpg

2011-03-07_20.41.06[1].jpg

stanghood.jpg

stang_rtfender.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first i would check the vin to see if it matches door tag and Buck tag behind headlights, Usually on right side of radiator support ( but some are on the left side )if those all match then probably a clone. Also 1972 Sprint Coupes and Sportsroofs had a unique TRIM code of ( HB ), as the The 50 Convertible's produced for the Cherry Blossom Parade had a TRIM code that was left ( blank ) on the vehicle dataplate.

Vamach1 will be along soon...he is our resident Sprint Expert! :D

I personally don´t trust 100% on tags when i´m looking a car that has several interventions (repaints, modifications, etc...) Think that almost any tag is easily removed or changed...

The door tag is a sticker that usually is unreadable, besides... if you have a drivers door that belong to a different car... useless...

The dash tag is another story... i´ve red that changing the upper trim of the dash (the part that has this tag) is not legal... BUT... who can control it??... What you can do in this case is at least, check if the pops are the correct shaped ones... The original pops are not rounded but with a kinda flower shaped heads...

Then you have the tag that should be located on the radiator support... I´ve never seen that tag in person actually! :p It´s soooo easy to remove that almost no car has it this days...

The most reliable locations for a correct vin numbers are in the shock towers (or aprons.. don´t remember the exact location actually) under the front fenders... This vin is stamped directly on the sheet metal so, if this particular part wasn´t rusted and removed for repair before, it should be there till now...

Scott found the vin number of his car stamped in the lower cowl, readable from the inside of the car, just behind the dash stuff... He can correct me if i dont remember the actual place, but i think for a car like yours, this vins stamp can solve your mistery ;)

Anyhow... it´s really fun to really decode a rare car :) Do your best ;)

]Good Luck!!!!

My fastback is (was) a Sprint. Only way to prove it is the HB trim code on the door sticker, or get a Marti report (see mine for example). Those rear seats are definitely out of a Sprint; does it have the urethane bumper and Mach1 grille? Another clue might be the blue that is painted under your rear quarter extensions - if there is someone here that is an expert on Sprint's then they might be able to tell you if the car came out of the factory painted like that. If your VIN is right and your car is a genuine '71 then it won't be a Sprint.

marticopy.jpg

Could I possibly have a "Sprint Coupe"...look at the pics. As was sanding down the black paint, I came across this light blue. I know they say the Sprint's came out in 1972, but according to the dash VIN my car is a 1971. But, I'm seeing so much of the blue on the car and the back seats are two tone color.

Is there anywhere else on the car I can get information on it, beside the dash VIN?

Here are my pics...

What do my fellow mustang friends have to say? Your thoughts, opinions, comments are greatly appreciated.
The back seat looks like sprint seats. That first pic shows a red pin stripe that divided the lower blue and the upper body white. To me it looks like you could have a sprint.

Here are my pics...

The back seat looks like sprint seats. That first pic shows a red pin stripe that divided the lower blue and the upper body white. To me it looks like you could have a sprint.
I've added a pic of the "buck tag" that was located on drivers side, just behind the front headlight. But, now the question is...how to decipher that code? I have no idea what it means. Can someone help me decipher what the "buck tag" means.

mustang_tag.jpg

I will attempt to decode some of the information.

2F01F219095 = VIN

2 = 1972

F = Dearborn Plant

01 = Hardtop

F = 302 2V

219095 = Unit Number

65D = Denotes a hardtop with standard interior and bucket seats

12F = 12 June (1972)

9A = White Exterior Paint

HB = Interior trim

Hope this helps.

BT

Thanks fellow mustang friends.....

Well, it certainly looks to be a "Sprint" mustang. So does this mean its "special" or it just had a special paint and interior? Bigger question is: do I restore it to a "Sprint" or go with the plans I had for it?

Yes, the "Marti Report" would be the way to go, for sure.

BTW, "HB" interior is for the "Bright Blue Lambeth Cloth and White Corinthian Vinyl Bucket Seats."

BT

So what does this mean?

If its a "sprint" is it "special" or did it just have special paint job and interior?

Is it worth restoring to a "sprint" = more money...probably...will it be worth it?

Or do I just go with the plans I had for it and skip the whole "sprint" thing.

What to do?

p.s

thank you fellow mustang friends for your input...greatly appreciated.

Again, I believe the FIRST thing you need to do is to order the "Marti Report" to REALLY be sure as to what you have. Armed with that information, you could then proceed.

BT

So what does this mean?

If its a "sprint" is it "special" or did it just have special paint job and interior?

Is it worth restoring to a "sprint" = more money...probably...will it be worth it?

Or do I just go with the plans I had for it and skip the whole "sprint" thing.

What to do?

p.s

thank you fellow mustang friends for your input...greatly appreciated.
Hello again!... X2 in the marti report... That´s not only the way to solve your doubts about what car you do have but is the "weapon" to prove your car is what you say it is eventually...

As the kind of restoration you should do, i think everyone will say it is up to you... Myself, if i were you and your car is a sprint, i´ll go for factory stock, but i am on the factory stock restoration nowadays so... it is just my personal opinion...

Money speaking, i think a sprint coupé can worth more money than any modify car you can built, but again, i´´m from overseas and mustangs here has diferent value-scale... I think you can google any sprint coupé and see the price range of both options for yourself...

My 72 fastback is a 1 of 1 car itself... we discussed it loooong before because of its rarity and the bottom line was... "do what you want"... i decided to take the project as a life time project, stop buying and selling mustangs here and use my car as is for now but starting to get all the parts the factory did for my car to eventually, complete a full, nuts and bolts factory stock restoration... As i´m not planning to sell the car, all the investment i would make is going to be for personal and family enjoy and not for any economical proffit.... My car is really close to stock actually... his life wasn´t bad at all in almost every matter...

]I think you have to go step by step.. get your marti report... the de luxe one is gonna be enough for now... then decide what to do and make all the math you can (at least in my country, a factory stock restoration is much more expensive and hard to do than a normal restomod)... If you decide to go with the sprint coupé, then start to learn the particular stuff you car should have... there´s a member here that has a sprint convertible, maybe he can help you...

Bring all the information here, here there are a lot of guys who appear to study this mustangs in Harvard :p they are the best and they are always willing to help in any matter...

Well... hope it helps! no matter what, enjoy your GORGEOUS RIDE and enjoy the process you choose to do...

Like has been said its yours do what you want with it, according to nada the Sprint package adds 15% in value. there were only 1268 with the 302 made, so the decision is ultimately yours and I really dont see much if any more cost in a sprint restore as opposed to a regular restore if done correctly. Just alot more details to get right.

Thanks Fellas...for the comments and ideas. I kind of like the fact that it is a special car and was made to commemorate the '72 olympics, but everyone's mustang is special! We put in the money, sweat, blood, busted knuckles into our cars - this is what makes our cars special. I'm going to see check on the marti report, but I'm first going to check the numbers on the apron and the motor, before I start to build it up. I have a couple of ideas floating in my head right now...like: paint it to original, interior as much as original, but....the motor I would want to spice it up! I've always wanted a muscle car with a beefy lil 302 motor...so why not go a little original but with a twist (beefy lil 302!)

People would be looking and saying - "Oh look at that nice looking Mustang...it has the Red, White, and Blue colors. Such a nice car."

Just then I drop the gear to L and smoke them!!

How bout dem apples for good 'ol USA muscle!!

haha

Just throwing some ideas for the car.

Thanks again for all your help!

Congrats - yep - it's a sprint because of the HB trim code as other pointed out. You should register it on www.1972mustangsprint.com

Rex

VehicleMustang.jpg

Thanks Fellas...for the comments and ideas. I kind of like the fact that it is a special car and was made to commemorate the '72 olympics, but everyone's mustang is special! We put in the money, sweat, blood, busted knuckles into our cars - this is what makes our cars special. I'm going to see check on the marti report, but I'm first going to check the numbers on the apron and the motor, before I start to build it up. I have a couple of ideas floating in my head right now...like: paint it to original, interior as much as original, but....the motor I would want to spice it up! I've always wanted a muscle car with a beefy lil 302 motor...so why not go a little original but with a twist (beefy lil 302!)

People would be looking and saying - "Oh look at that nice looking Mustang...it has the Red, White, and Blue colors. Such a nice car."

Just then I drop the gear to L and smoke them!!

How bout dem apples for good 'ol USA muscle!!

haha

Just throwing some ideas for the car.

Thanks again for all your help!
You don't see sprint mustangs to often. Most got used up and throne away. So how many are left? The best thing to do is RESTOMOD it. Restore the body and interior as close as you can to original. Then beef up that 302 so it puts you back in the seat and is fun to drive. Bottom line its your car to do what you want. The sprint is part of the history of mustang so it will help it's value over a plain 72 coupe.

Back