Power steering Pump

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Spring Edition Coupe
(dressed up as Mach 1) full gauges,
351 Cleveland
Edelbrock Manifold Holley 4 Barrel, Jacobs Ignition system
I need to replace my PS pump. It is making lots of noise. I have replaced the fluid and bled the system numerous times and it doesn't help. I want to get a new pump not a rebuilt one - I tried a rebuilt one a few years back and the noise remind.

Can someone recommend the best high quality new pump and is there

someone who I can ship my pump to, have them remove the pulley, replace the pump, reservoir and pulley and ship back.

I have a 1971 Coupe, 351 cleveland engine, FMX trans

Thanks for your help

I looked at NAPA, O'Reilly, Rock Auto, Summit, and AutoZone and none of them list a new pump. Are you sure the pump is causing the noise? An obstruction can cause noise, such as a plugged in-line filter or a kink in a hose or tube.

I think the pump is bad, but I will need to check the lines and the gear. I am not sure where the in-line filter would be? I can't see it in any of the lines?

I did find new pumps at CarParts Warehouse. I sent them an email asking for information relating to the "71 Mustang.

Any information you can provide is certainly appreciated.

The most common ones are just inserted into the return line, similar to an in-line fuel filter. There used to be some around that were a cone shaped mesh that inserted into the return line, just ahead of the connection to the pump.

I looked on the site you mentioned, and the only ones I saw for our cars are remanufactured.

You can also easily remove and install the pulley with one of the "loan a tool"s from one of your local parts houses.

Back