Best reproduction upholstery manufacturer

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1 351 Auto Ram-Air Blue Glow/Argent
1973 'Q' Code 351 Auto Convertible Red
I was thinking of replacing the upholstery in my '73 convertible, it's the de-luxe Corinthian in White.

There seem to be quite a few manufacturers out there offering this.

Who makes the best and most accurate replacement upholstery?

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

I used "Distinctive Industries" seat covers many years ago...crap. They sent me a replacement set for free a year later, still the same crap.

I next used "TMI" and have been very happy with thier stuff. It has been on the car for over 20 yerars now without issue.

I've used TMI on my 65 and a sports interior set for a 71 Mach 1. Both were well made with thick materials. My only complaint is that the vermillion color on the new seats was more red than vermillion; meaning it didn't match up with the original "red" seat color.

Same observation here: the grain and color of the stripe-portion on the Mach 1seats is not correct. But it has been durable, so I put up with it.

I have heard good things about TMI.

I bought real Confortweave and OEM Vinyl from SMS and had a Local guy repair the seats, they came out looking Perfect!! ( I did this Last week pics to follow in a different post)

SMS is awesome. I have bought many fabrics from them over the years. My 90 35th anniversay Super Coupe had grey "pigskin suede leather" inserts and they were able to sell the EXACT stuff!

OEM comfortweave on our Mustangs had a tiny bit of glittery, metallic threads running through...at least on the black and blue versions of it. This is one easy way to spot replacement stuff.

And of course the factory OEM comfortweave was in fact actually knitted vinyl...vinyl strands knitted together like fabric.

The aftermarket comfortweave is really just a solid piece of vinyl with the comfortweave pattern stamped into it. Looks pretty good, but close inspection gives up the secret.

If SMS can supply real knitted vinyl "comfortweave", that is awesome!

The blue original comfortweave has 2 colors in it, the aftermarket is a solid color, it can be spotted from a mile away.

But the down fall is the original stuff is $149 per yard. But worth every dollar.

the 2 pictures below, the solid color is the aftermarket simulated comfortweave (its a TMI interior I seen at a car show), the other pic is my front seat with the real comfortweave, you can see the difference.

sent from my Samsung SIII via TapaTalk

20120722_144030.jpg

comf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered the XR Sport seats and foams from TMI. Was able to get a small discount just for showing up in Charlotte the weekend. Was nice to see them in person and sit in them. Nice stuff.

Back