Annual registration cost based upon engine size

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
In Germany, the Motor Vehicle tax (Kraftfahrzeugsteuer) is an annual tax on all vehicles. It ranges from 5 eur per 100cc to 25 eur per 100cc for petrol engines and 13 eur to 37 eur for diesel engines.[3] Vehicles first registered before June 30, 2009 are taxed according to engine displacement and national/European emission class, whereas vehicles which were registered after that date are taxed solely based on CO2 emission in grams per km (g CO2/km).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_tax

There are discussions within the depart of transportation and EPA, in the name of carbon reduction, considering a more European style of determining annual vehicle registration fees. From I get from the wiki above is that annual taxes on a car with a 5 liter engine "could" start at 2,500 Euros ($3,450.00). Question to our European friends, could that be right?

Jim

Don, you're correct, I thought it didn't sound right, should have check my calculations (that's why the wife does our taxes).

So since the tax rate is 5-25 Euros per 100cc a 5 liter engine car would be between 250-1,250 Euros ($345.00 - $1,750.00) a year registration fee. Much less than I originally thought but still a hefty tax.

A very hefty tax considering how many cars some of us own. I wonder if they would get rid of the Collector car tabs? Probably.

Based on the low end numbers above, my 5 gas cars would cost me $1,205 and my diesel would cost me $949 a year. For a grand total of $2,154.

Sounds like the usual government cash grab to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wa state tried that crap a year or two ago. People were outraged, of course the government was exempt. they were calling it a carbon tax based on mfg data. If no data available automatically maxed out. No data on what they were going to do with the money except line their pockets. As bad as the charging you for plates based on value of your car.

[align=left]

Rego for a V8 car in qld Aussie is a grand
I could be wrong, but I thought the registration cost in NSW is based on tare weight not engine size. Is this another state based thing?

Or maybe it's a combo of weight and engine size. All I know is I pay 850ish a year for my 5.4L V8 Ford Ute.

Greg[/align]

[align=left]

I could be wrong, but I thought the registration cost in NSW is based on tare weight not engine size. Is this another state based thing?

Or maybe it's a combo of weight and engine size. All I know is I pay 850ish a year for my 5.4L V8 Ford Ute.

Greg[/align]
I pay $605 for yearly rego down here in country Victoria.

The breakdown is $238 for the rego fee, $334 for the Transport Accident Commisission fee (the compulsory insurance that covers injury compensation no matter who's at fault), and $33 for insurance duty.

[align=left]

Greg[/align]
Yep it's a state based thing the rego is only $620 the compulsory third party insurance takes the total to just over $1000

Based on what Luke wrote I would say QLD is bloody expensite. Edit: I just checked my actual registration renewal it's "only" $482. That registration cost in NSW does not include the insurance, that is a separate fee. All up I am paying 482 for registration (previous number was not right), 550 for liability insurance, 900 for comprehensive insurance, and $35 for the annual safety inspection . That's on a 2006 I mentioned.

Total cost every year insurance and all: $1967 AU which is about $1842 currently. When I was younger I remember paying as much as 2K a year for liability insurance in California so it's all relative based on age and competency I think.

PS, rego of 482 is $60 registration fee and $422 TAX!!!! No wonder we threw over the tea leaves in Boston;)

Greg

Isn't queensland also the most expensive as far as vehicle tax
Queensland is expensive for everything, I suppose it has to be when the politicians here are given a $70 000 a year pay rise and back dated to July last year, so lucky us we get to help pay for it.But yes $1000 for V8 rego (more for a ute) my XR6 turbo ute was nearly $900 and my TE50 (V8) is due soon, luckily the Mustang is on club rego and less than $200 a year, the only positive when owning so many cars.

Isn't queensland also the most expensive as far as vehicle tax
Queensland is expensive for everything, I suppose it has to be when the politicians here are given a $70 000 a year pay rise and back dated to July last year, so lucky us we get to help pay for it.But yes $1000 for V8 rego (more for a ute) my XR6 turbo ute was nearly $900 and my TE50 (V8) is due soon, luckily the Mustang is on club rego and less than $200 a year, the only positive when owning so many cars.
Other positives less cops and we get to do what we want most of the time;)

Hi all,

here in Germany we have an special rate for so called, historic cars.

The car must be 30 years or older and need to be inspected by our technical inspection departement.

After they decide it is worth preserving and it is in good technical and close to original condition, you get a special licence plate with an H, like historic, at the end.

After this inspection you have only to pay about 140$ a year.

Oskar

Back