iPad screen replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
Does anyone have experience with this? I bought my son a iPad mini for Christmas and while he was trying to help my wife with something it accidentally got dropped. I was certainly mad initially, but as I learned more about the story he was trying to do something to help my wife and it was a true accident. So, now I want to be super-Dad again and fix it. I priced having it fixed and decided they were nuts, I can buy a brand new one for a few bucks more that it costs to pay someone to fix it.

Tonight I watched a YouTube video and priced the parts, for under $100 I can replace the touchscreen. The video showed replacing the LCD panel too, but I don't think it needs replacing. The screen is broken quite a bit, but the display looks fine and it works fine otherwise.

So two questions:

1) can I just replace the glass touch panel? Or do I need to replace the LCD too?

2) is it really as easy as it looks in the video? I watched a 8 minute video by DirectFix--I understand it will take longer, but I get the general idea.

Part of my holdback is it voids the warranty if I do it now. It works now even with the broken screen, the warranty for operation is good until late November, so if it is really that easy I may go for it.

First, you just replace the glass panel unless there is bleeding from the LCD. The you tube videos do make it look easier that it actually is. The key is to take your time and don't force anything. Buy a new panel from a reputable source like Group Vertical (they sell on amazon too). It will probably take you about an hour or slightly more to do it. Don't let anything distract you while you're working on it

I've done one on my regular iPad. Most difficult thing is getting all the old glass cleaned off as its shattered its a huge mess. Quite messy. The other problem area is that they don't tell you where the adhesive strips belong, and you just need to piece them together to fill all the gaps. The final trial is getting 100% of the dust and lint out before the screen is laid into place or you will see those dust specs and fingerprints forever.

Thanks all for the great replys. I am contemplating which way to go on this. Kindersmach if I decide to hire it out I will PM you. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't done a iPad but did a couple Iphones

Make sure you get the proper screw drives with the replacement kit

It's not that hard just follow the video

The warrenty issue is a good point

Read up on it on the apple site

My wife's iPhone was screen was cracked a then it fell in water

I tried to clean it with 99.9% alcohol but couldn't save it

It was out of warrenty

But on the apple support they have a maximum repair cost of $200 even if it's out if warrenty

I couldn't even find a used I phone for $200 so that was a good deal to me

I would just check to see what apple would charge first

Worst case you fix it your self

Good luck

Dave, try it I don't think they would honor any warrentee with a broken screen anyways.

Back