Fuel Line

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customtronic

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1

2008 Ford F150
I'm unsure as to which fuel tank to pump line I need to buy. I've been buying alot of my parts from Mustangs Unlimited. They have two different lines available. They show a 2-piece 3/8" ID line and a 1-piece vapor return line 5/16" ID. Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve

yes vapor return runs underneath the chassis from the top of the fuel tank, through the transmission tunnel across the firewall and to the Charcoal canister.

the 2 piece fuel line runs down on the driver's side from the right of the fuel tank, through the driver's side wheel well, under the driver's side rocker panel, then up the front wheel well through the engine bay apron to the the master cylinder area. from there a rubber hose is connected to the 2nd half of the fuel line which exits back out into the wheel wheel area on the driver's side, back into the engine bay apron at the front of the motor, from there another rubber hose connects to the carburetor fuel line.

the fuel line was run like this with 2 rubber hose connections to allow for collapse during front end collisions and primitive crumple zone on the front end.

Thanks for the quick replies. I probably should've asked this question a couple of weeks ago. After removing the fuel line from the car I ordered the 1-piece considering the one I pulled out of the car looked to be a 1-piece as well. There was no motor in the car when I got it so I wasn't able to see the original configuration. Is this 1-piece going to work for me? I hope so considering I hate to waste the $100 I spent on a nice, new, stainless steel line. Also, please excuse my ignorance but I have no idea what the charcoal canister is. Thanks again!

it will not work for the main fuel line. I dont think. The charcoal caister catches the vented fumes, etc from the tank and is located on the passenger side near the firewall near the bottom

Crap. Just my luck. It's my own fault for not checking before I buy. Maybe I can send it back. Thanks for the info.

Well, problem solved. I called the vender and got a RA# so I will ship that back to them for a full refund. I lose some money on shipping but better than losing $95 that I spent on the line. Thanks again for the info!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
the bodyshop installed all new lines near the tank. and i removed the charcoal canister from the car as it leave a clean area for something else to mount (EZ EFI computer or whatever)

with an EFI system in mind as well, it looks like this VAPOR line could serve as a RETURN line to the tank baby!!!!

:shy::shy::shy:

Just thought of something. Do I NEED the vapor return line also? I'd like to do away with the charcoal canister if I can. I don't know if that's something I'm going to need to keep on the car. MU is going to let me return the vapor line I bought for full credit. If this is something I'm going to have to use I might as well keep it instead of having to buy it again later. Thanks in advance for the info!

Thanks for the quick replies. I probably should've asked this question a couple of weeks ago. After removing the fuel line from the car I ordered the 1-piece considering the one I pulled out of the car looked to be a 1-piece as well. There was no motor in the car when I got it so I wasn't able to see the original configuration. Is this 1-piece going to work for me? I hope so considering I hate to waste the $100 I spent on a nice, new, stainless steel line. Also, please excuse my ignorance but I have no idea what the charcoal canister is. Thanks again!
Follow the 3/4" vapor flex line connected to the air cleaner to the blue canister mounted under the brace/ hood spring area.This is the vapor canister that the 5/16 line connects to.

I tried to run with out it and it gave me all kind of problems! It will cause you to vapor lock.Ask me how I know !

The fuel systems on the 71-73 is a "none" vented system.The older stangs / Fords used vented gas caps.This was so when you drove and used gas out of the tank air would replace the liquid.The air came in through the gas cap.Well when you were not driveing gas fumes would escape through the vent. Not good for the inviroment.

Enter the carbon canister.As you drive and use gas on our cars,the air is pulled out of the air cleaner assembly through the carbon canister. You are pulling gas fumes from the carb area and venting the tank creating basicaly a closed loop system.

The only way to do with out the canister / return line is to vent the tank cap.I would not leave the tank vented (on top )under the car.Probably would not happen,but a fume build up under the car would not be an ideal situation.My .02!

1973_Ford-10.JPG

Wow! Great info. So, I guess I didn't waste money after all. I will just keep this one and buy the fuel line also. Thanks!

Did the 71-73 come standard with 3/8's fuel line? I've always assumed it was 5/16 because when I got the car, it had a 5/16 line from the fuel pump to the carb. But looking at it this evening, it appears to be 3/8's from the tank to the pump.

This would be good, as I wouldn't need to change the line as I had planned for the 408w I'm building...

It's got to be 3/8s after doing some more looking around. I may splurge for the stainless in the future though, whenever I need to something to do (after the completion of the transplant!)

Chaz

Did the 71-73 come standard with 3/8's fuel line? I've always assumed it was 5/16 because when I got the car, it had a 5/16 line from the fuel pump to the carb. But looking at it this evening, it appears to be 3/8's from the tank to the pump.

This would be good, as I wouldn't need to change the line as I had planned for the 408w I'm building...

Back