cudak888: 1972 Q-code - cam failure pictures

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
New pictures begin on page #3 and continue through the thread: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-say-hello-to-eleanor-was-wish-me-luck?page=3

2i0g1af.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'll need it on this one.

2ymdgd2.jpg

It is unrelated to the Grabber Yellow F-code that I nearly purchased a few months back. This one is Medium Bright Yellow Gold with Ginger Deluxe interior. One of 382.

Dealer sprayed the hood with the tu-tone and cut it for NACA twist locks. Not original to the car. It's a one-owner job, but they've shoved 4:11's in the rear, a shift kit in the C6, and other things that will generally annoy me as I sort out the rest.

Condition is rough, but not horrific. Price was good, but not an outright steal.

Honestly, there is a devious part of me that wishes to put a standard hood on it (with fake hood pins), shove a '73 grill in the front, delete the stripes, blackout the taillight panel and endcaps, and put an infamous California plate in front: 614 HSO. It'd probably be the first proper replica of Halicki's car. It's an ex-NY car, so RMH 100 might not be out of place either.

-Kurt

Funny, when I saw that little pic of the door and quarter panel I immediate thought "Eleanor". :)
If I find that the front of the hood is rusted, I'll throw a standard hood on it and go whole-hog on the conversion :D

-Kurt

Cudda... good luck...and take the camara we gotta see that 70's guy
Funny thing - provided you don't look too close, my hair and sideburns can be mistaken for Halicki's.

-Kurt
yeah true...good thing you dont have his "rabbit teeth" :D

but more like .......

kotterx-large.jpg

OR......

article-0-02D87184000005DC-942_306x423.jpg

We prefer to call it “moonshine makeover”, hillbilly hop up is so seventies….:cool:
All gags aside, someone made a good effort to turn it into a good street/drag car, but I'd prefer it to be streetable, period.

I don't really have the provisions for dumping the C6, but the 4R70W swap that Q has been so kindly explaining to us has me quite interested.

-Kurt

Shift kit isn't a bad thing.. It will help the trans last. Unless they set it for full comp shifts where it slaps you in the head.. Just a valve body swap to fix that. I'd also say a cam in a 4V isn't a big draw back either... Unless it's stupid big.

This is a Crane "fireball" 290 cam. It's pretty easy to drive around.
I looked up comparative specs: The 290 has just a bit more lift than the Comp High Energy 268H, but is otherwise similar.

I could probably live with the 260H or 268H. Yours sounds pretty stock from the front - cam seems most noticeable at the back end.

So long as it doesn't sound like this (though I will definitely admit that this is the best idle tune I've ever heard out of such an aggressive cam):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfsHYFDmWug

-Kurt

Kurt, I don't think I've ever heard a cam / engine sound so rhythmic. I wouldn't do it to my car but it was interesting to hear. I prefer a stock Q-code cam grind since I don't have any interest in strip racing.

Back