Wheel base?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrshog

Reaction score
My Car
Looking
After replacing the lower control arms and the strut rod bushings I measured out the wheelbase on my car and it seems to want to be at 109.5" on both sides, I have adjusted the strut rods to bring it to 109" but I am just curious as to others actual measurements. Does the .5" really matter or make a difference?

It can affect caster. But jacking up the back does also. The only sure way is to have the alignment checked.
Totally understand the impact of changing the wheel base on the alignment but curious as to why when it all goes together without any pressure or force from adjustments to the strut rods it has a .5" longer wheel base. If I leave it there, where it "wants to be" what is the impact on the handling of the vehicle?

The only way to know would be to check the alignment with the settings "where it wants be" and see how far out it is.

There was a lot of variation in components back then and I'm sure there is a large tolerance on the wheelbase. Or, it was a reference spec based on everything else being nominal, and only used as a comparative reference.

The only way to know would be to check the alignment with the settings "where it wants be" and see how far out it is.

There was a lot of variation in components back then and I'm sure there is a large tolerance on the wheelbase. Or, it was a reference spec based on everything else being nominal, and only used as a comparative reference.
That's why I asked what others wheelbase measurements actually are. I know it effects alignment when changed and I have the car going in for an alignment next week so I want to have the wheelbase set before I go have that done. What I think I should do is raise the front end and loosen the strut rods and let it go where it wants to be. Measure both sides to make sure they are the same and then tighten them down. I feel like that would reduce any undo stress or binding on the front suspension. Thoughts?

Changing the strut rod length is how the caster is set. If you are saying that the WB wants to be at 109.5, and you are forcing it to be 109, then you are moving the LCA rearward, which is reducing the amount of caster, which isn't good.

My opinion, leave the wheelbase at 109.5, get an alignment, verify that the caster, camber and toe are right and then re-measure the wheel base when you get home. If the two sides are close then don't worry about it. The only time you'll notice if there's a big difference in side-to-side WB is turning.

Changing the strut rod length is how the caster is set. If you are saying that the WB wants to be at 109.5, and you are forcing it to be 109, then you are moving the LCA rearward, which is reducing the amount of caster, which isn't good.

My opinion, leave the wheelbase at 109.5, get an alignment, verify that the caster, camber and toe are right and then re-measure the wheel base when you get home. If the two sides are close then don't worry about it. The only time you'll notice if there's a big difference in side-to-side WB is turning.
Thanks for staying with me on this mjlan. For some reason I could not get through my head the impact on caster until now..... It just did not register for what ever reason.

Thanks.

Back