Extending seat tracks back

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManniB

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi,

sitting in the drivers seat of my '71 I always have the feeling that it would be grat if I could move the seat another 2 or 3 inches away from the steering wheel.

What's the best way to achive this? Are there any seat track extenders that I can buy or is it possible to modify the existing tracks?

Thanks, Manfred

Hi,

sitting in the drivers seat of my '71 I always have the feeling that it would be grat if I could move the seat another 2 or 3 inches away from the steering wheel.

What's the best way to achive this? Are there any seat track extenders that I can buy or is it possible to modify the existing tracks?

Thanks, Manfred

I just ran across the thread. Ohio Mustang has them

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

So, sorry about bringing a thread back from the dead, I don't know how you guys feel about it. Most forums today get pretty touchy about it so if I just stepped on anyone's toes please let me know and I'll be more careful going forward.

I'm old, I'm arthretic, I have bad knees, and getting in and out of the mach1 is causing me some pain.

I searched Ohio Mustang and they don't have that seat track part anymore, or I'm boning up the search.

Fully back, the seat is a bit close for me once I'm in it. But if I could move it back like six inches and then move it forward some that would make getting in and out of the car much easier on me. Even the inch and a half that the part in this thread was supposed to offer would help.

Failing that, anyone have any photos or drawings they could share for something similar? If I could draw something I could probably get a local machine shop to fab some up for me.

Please and thank you.

I removed my seat pans and moved them back 2"....welded and sealed...then re-installed the seats...plenty of room.

I seem to recall that Ford had a kit to move the seat back at least for the early mustangs. I am 6'5" so I have to fold up to get in also, lol. If it were moved back than no way could anyone get into the back seat.
The back seats in these things are about as useful as the rear window. ;)

I removed my seat pans and moved them back 2"....welded and sealed...then re-installed the seats...plenty of room.
I hope to be able to do something a little less involved than that, but that sounds like an excellent method!

You could buy or make your own swivel brackets OR take the seat out and sit in the rear seat!  :D
Swivels will not work, sadly. The console (and the trans tunnel) is in the way.

I'm not sure that driving from the back seat will work out, although if you ask some people back seat driving is all I do. :)

Back