• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wire Harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMWeaver47

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Convertible
I'm looking for the section of wire harness that runs from under the dashboard to all the under-hood components. It connects to a large blue plug under the dash. Mine is melted so I have nothing to work with. The rest of the harness is in surprisingly good condition so I can reuse that.

If you have this section of wiring harness or if you can think of any information regarding it then let me know. I would like to find a diagram of it if there's one available also, I just haven't found it if there is one.

My car is a 1971 automatic convertible if it matters.

Thanks

I'm looking for the section of wire harness that runs from under the dashboard to all the under-hood components. It connects to a large blue plug under the dash. Mine is melted so I have nothing to work with. The rest of the harness is in surprisingly good condition so I can reuse that.

If you have this section of wiring harness or if you can think of any information regarding it then let me know. I would like to find a diagram of it if there's one available also, I just haven't found it if there is one.

My car is a 1971 automatic convertible if it matters.

Thanks
Where is the blue plug ?

Main harness comes thru the firewall and goes to the fuse box

Convertible would have a secondary power harness too.

Not remembering a blue plug?

Let me know I have boxes of harnesses.

Don

I'll get a pic later if I remember. Its about 2" by 2" and plugs into the fuse block as you said. The fuse block itself has a bolt running up through the bottom that holds both halves of the plug together. Maybe they aren't all blue, I just said that as a point of reference.

Plus I went through your parts online and came up with well over $2,000 worth of stuff I need just off the top of my head. So say somebody at OMS dropped the ball and all that stuff got delivered to my house by mistake... I think you see where this is going.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a green plug. Some folks are colorblind, Don.

I've already provided a quote for replacement wiring. AMWeaver must first decide if he is going for a tach dash or keep his standard dash set-up.

It's a green plug. Some folks are colorblind, Don.

I've already provided a quote for replacement wiring. AMWeaver must first decide if he is going for a tach dash or keep his standard dash set-up.
Not colorblind in the slightest, just have a shitty memory. I honestly did think it was blue but that was my mistake, I wasn't around the car at the time. My sincerest apologies if you spent all day flipping through diagrams and pictures looking for the mysterious blue plug.

To quote your PM midlife...

When you say the 3 feet under the dash' date=' do you believe your entire underdash harness is OK? If you change to a tach dash cluster, you need to change the underdash (or have it converted---I can do that) as well as the main light harness. The alternator harness may also have to be tach specific.[/quote']
...this is the 3 feet I was referring to.

It is the section that comes through the firewall just left of the steering column (with 1/2 of the green plug). That's all that's left of the under hood harness, period. When you say headlight harness, is this the piece you mean? Is that all it runs is the lights?

This is the under dash harness (and you can see the other half of the green plug). In my opinion it is in very good condition. I didn't see any brittle spots in the insulation and the plugs are all there. I'm not an electrical guy but I would say some light cleanup is all this needs at first glance.

I plan on putting a tach cluster in the car when reassembly time comes. So you could add the necessary tachometer bits onto my existing harness? That seems like the way to go to me.

To be perfectly honest I'm not ready to buy anything today, hopefully that doesn't turn you guys off. I am trying to get my ducks in a row and have an expectation for my budget. I figured getting my hands on a harness would be more difficult so I wanted to start early. I appreciate the help this far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you need an entire headlight harness...that 3' section is part of it that extends into the passenger compartment.

Back