"Mach1" Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was talking to a guy a couple of weeks ago about the mustang, and he asked what year, so I said 1972, his response was " the Mach 1 ones", so I corrected him and said "no just a convertible not a Mach 1", so he tried to correct me, and said 70-73 were all Mach 1's and I don't know what I was talking about.

So I agreed with him and walked away.

The odd placement of the rear stripe looks goofy to me. It is obviously out of place to any casual observer.

I was talking to a guy a couple of weeks ago about the mustang, and he asked what year, so I said 1972, his response was " the Mach 1 ones", so I corrected him and said "no just a convertible not a Mach 1", so he tried to correct me, and said 70-73 were all Mach 1's and I don't know what I was talking about.

Maybe you should try joining an internet board and learning yourself something about them thar Mach 1's.

It reminds me of a flipper. For me it looks too much like something that never was.

And Iyman - people do that all the time. That is the consumate definitiion of an asshole. When anyone tries to tell you something - they should always leave an out in case they are indeed mistaken. Even I have been WRONG before!!!! :) :p

Ray

Maybe you should try joining an internet board and learning yourself something about them thar Mach 1's.
LOL I tried, but they all seen to know way too much about "them thar Mach 1's"

And Iyman - people do that all the time. That is the consumate definitiion of an asshole. When anyone tries to tell you something - they should always leave an out in case they are indeed mistaken. Even I have been WRONG before!!!! :) :p
same here, I have been wrong before, but I'm always willing to learn, but in that case walking away was best, I wish I recorded the conversation, after I spoke, he jumped back with, " No!! your wrong"

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL I tried, but they all seen to know way too much about "them thar Mach 1's"

same here, I have been wrong before, but I'm always willing to learn, but in that case walking away was best, I wish I recorded the conversation, after I spoke, he jumped back with, " No!! your wrong"
Iyman , be different ...

You need some SS stickers on there - maybe a GT badge :p

It´s the same here in Europe. 71-73 is a Mach1. Period. I guess it´s because on these the Mach1 scripts were so prominent and most of them simply were Mach1s, so it stuck with people.

I had my drift school class on Thursday and 6 people asked me if that was a Mach1. The 7th one asked if it was a Challenger and when I said it was a Mustang he walked around it and suddenly said."Oh yes... uuugh....wait, what did they call them them.....MACH1, right?!"

I´ll try and explain the difference but they don´t really get it. So I usually end up saying:" Yes, basically it´s the same thing only they did not label the verts as Mach1s." and everybody´s happy.

On the other hand, I have never met a casual observer who knew that a Mach 1 could also be a 69-70 either. Seems like the Mach1 moniker only sticks to the 71-73, at least here in Europe.

Seems that they are Mustangs until 1970, after that they are Mach1s.

Oh, the "experts" I've run into over the years. These are some of the interesting things I've learned from the "experts" over time:

1) all 71s had chrome bumpers, all 72s had urathane bumpers.

2) all mach 1s were big blocks

3) all mach 1s came with ram air

And there have been plenty of people whose ___________( cousin, friend, brother, etc...) Had a factory-original:

1) convertible mach 1

2) BOSS 429 Mach 1

3) BOSS 429 other model 71-73

4) 351 Windsor-powered 71-73

5) 428 powered 71-73

Now some are just casually confused or mistaken, and that is no big deal...not everyone is expert on every car.

But some are just chock-full of shit and proudly proclaim to have first-hand knowledge of something that clearly never existed.

"I was with him when he took delivery at the factory right in Detroit of a special ordered 72 BOSS 429 convertible!"...or some such nonsense.

"My buddy's 73 Mustang could do 170 mph!"

"Cops never screwed with me cuz they knew they could never catch me...cuz I had the "police motor" in it!"

When I run into those kind of blowhards, I just smile and bite my tongue.

Last edited:
Ahhh..the "experts"!! I've driven and owned many Fords in my life time. A lot of them Mustangs. I worked at a Ford dealership for 38 years. Have been a member of the Mustang Club of Amercia since 1975. All that still doesn't make me an "Expert" In fact I've learned a lot about our 71-73,s since joining this site. I have two "M" code 71 Mach 1's. I've been told the "rubber" bumpers were wrong, they are supposed to be chrome. I was also told my engines were wrong! All 71 Mach 1's were big blocks! (I wish). Was also told that my 351's should be 351 windsors. I could have an engineer from Ford standing beside me verifying my cars and they would still argue you down! So Kit is right, some are just blow hards and some are just full of S**T!! I needed a good laugh today and this post did it for me!!

Oh, the "experts" I've run into over the years. These are some of the interesting things I've learned from the "experts" over time:

1) all 71s had chrome bumpers, all 72s had urathane bumpers.

2) all mach 1s were big blocks

3) all mach 1s came with ram air

And there have been plenty of people whose ___________( cousin, friend, brother, etc...) Had a factory-original:

1) convertible mach 1

2) BOSS 429 Mach 1

3) BOSS 429 other model 71-73

4) 351 Windsor-powered 71-73

5) 428 powered 71-73

Now some are just casually confused or mistaken, and that is no big deal...not everyone is expert on every car.

But some are just chock-full of shit and proudly proclaim to have first-hand knowledge of something that clearly never existed.

"I was with him when he took delivery at the factory right in Detroit of a special ordered 72 BOSS 429 convertible!"...or some such nonsense.

"My buddy's 73 Mustang could do 170 mph!"

"Cops never screwed with me cuz they knew they could never catch me...cuz I had the "police motor" in it!"

When I run into those kind of blowhards, I just smile and bite my tongue.
... and don't forget that 1973 Mustangs were Mustang II's! :D

Hell, I thought a Mach 1 was a razor blade; whoda thunk?

Yea I have met a few like that over the years just agree and walk away

It reminds me of a flipper. For me it looks too much like something that never was.

Ray
I'm with you Ray... I made a mistake once, I thought I may be wrong... I wasn't! :D :D

Back