coil spring removal and replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Doing a complete R&R of my front suspension because it is probably original and very loose/worn.

I have a new internal spring compressor I plan on using to remove and replace the springs.

The removal seems pretty straight forward as far as compressing them to get them out. My question is, how do you safely release the tension on the old springs and then compress the new ones without them spinning one way or the other. I have never used a spring compressor and have been looking up any and all info on it. I have also read some horror stories. I want to do this only once so I am looking for tips......also what is the recommended lube to use?

Remove the spring and compressor as a unit and place sideways on the floor. Use a ratchet to undo the spring compressor until there is no more tension on the spring.

DO NOT ever, ever put your fingers between the spring coils, as it can release suddenly if the compressor is not securely attached.

Remove the spring and compressor as a unit and place sideways on the floor. Use a ratchet to undo the spring compressor until there is no more tension on the spring.

DO NOT ever, ever put your fingers between the spring coils, as it can release suddenly if the compressor is not securely attached.
Then the tension of the spring will keep it from rotating? No worries, I will never even touch the coils until the compressor is rattling loose inside the spring. Just couldn't picture what kept it from rotating when it wasn't in the shock tower.

You can handle the outside edges to keep it from rotating.

Getting the final turns on the compressor without the coil turning on the perch can be nerve-racking during removal. I have used heavy leather gloves to gently hold the outside edge of the coil as Midlife notes. Problem is if you are doing it by yourself it gets tricky to hold with one hand and turn ratchet with the other.

I also recommend installing small hose clamps on the coil to keep the compressor fingers from slipping upwards.

Installing is easier since you can compress the spring a little bit tighter while it's on the floor. I've used locking pliers to hold the bottom coil in the perch against the stop in the correct position several times.

There is a compressor designed for our springs. Several members, including myself, have made them. I can either loan you mine or give you the design to build your own. The inside compressor is extremely unsafe on our cars. Let me know.

Rented my spring compressor from auto zone. Worked great and was free if you return it. Took me about 10 minutes to get one spring out. I turned the bolt with a impact gun

There is a compressor designed for our springs. Several members, including myself, have made them. I can either loan you mine or give you the design to build your own. The inside compressor is extremely unsafe on our cars. Let me know.
Thanks for all the info. Just curious though, why is the internal compressor dangerous? I thought I had read that it was the best one to use. I bought it new after reading info on it.

This is the one with 2 sets of hooks that you use from inside the shock tower.

Dangerous if you don't use it right I guess. Like I always tell people if you don't wanna live on the edge a little collect stamps!!!! Lol

I've always used an internal spring compressor for 7173s. I just rent one from Auto Zone. As long as the threads aren't shot you're ok. I have had to use large nuts and washers as spacers so I could compress the spring enough. Start it by hand to make sure you're low enough on the coil on the bottom end and high as you can get on the top end. That allows for maximum compression.

Always wear heavy leather gloves and safety glasses. And treat it like a bomb once you remove it! If I'm not removing the compressor right away I lay it on the ground on the side of the garage away from everything and everyone. I was told not to use an impact gun as that can destroy the threads. It's easiest with two people since once you start compressing the spring tends to rotate.

And don't forget to unbolt your sway bar and drag link to make it easier.

I've always used an internal spring compressor for 7173s. I just rent one from Auto Zone. As long as the threads aren't shot you're ok. I have had to use large nuts and washers as spacers so I could compress the spring enough. Start it by hand to make sure you're low enough on the coil on the bottom end and high as you can get on the top end. That allows for maximum compression.

Always wear heavy leather gloves and safety glasses. And treat it like a bomb once you remove it! If I'm not removing the compressor right away I lay it on the ground on the side of the garage away from everything and everyone. I was told not to use an impact gun as that can destroy the threads. It's easiest with two people since once you start compressing the spring tends to rotate.

And don't forget to unbolt your sway bar and drag link to make it easier.
Mine is new and unused. I have everything on both sides of the suspension loosened except for the UCA and the strut rod nuts, the rod bolts on the lower arm are loose.

I did a trial fit of the compressor and it was a PITA to get the hooks in the right positions. I did read, and found out, that I will need to add something to the threaded rod because it does bottom out on the spring perch. I was planning on doing one side at a time and replacing everything, tie rod ends etc, etc. I was thinking of maybe using vise grips on on of the coils to keep it from turning when on the floor.

Do you know what size nuts the strut rod nuts are? I have them soaking in PB Blaster. Thanks................

I Use some grease on the threads of my compressor to help it turn and mess the threads up.I just use some bigger nuts and washers for spacers to keep it from hitting the spring perch.I believe on the lca the strut rod nuts are 3/4.The nuts on the front crossmember is 1 1/8.

I Use some grease on the threads of my compressor to help it turn and mess the threads up.I just use some bigger nuts and washers for spacers to keep it from hitting the spring perch.I believe on the lca the strut rod nuts are 3/4.The nuts on the front crossmember is 1 1/8.
Thanks

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing a complete R&R of my front suspension because it is probably original and very loose/worn.

I have a new internal spring compressor I plan on using to remove and replace the springs.

The removal seems pretty straight forward as far as compressing them to get them out. My question is, how do you safely release the tension on the old springs and then compress the new ones without them spinning one way or the other. I have never used a spring compressor and have been looking up any and all info on it. I have also read some horror stories. I want to do this only once so I am looking for tips......also what is the recommended lube to use?
Piece of cake see my video..Just reverse the procedure to get the new ones in..You put the spring on a towel put your foot on it..unscrew the compressor BTW those are 429 springs in the vid

Piece of cake see my video..Just reverse the procedure to get the new ones in..You put the spring on a towel put your foot on it..unscrew the compressor BTW those are 429 springs in the vid

Thank you, that was really helpful.

Back