Buying a 73 Mustang sports roof

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Safari

Reaction score
My Car
Long Love affair with a 71 Coupe now over, but looking to start a new one soon!
Hi Guys

I've just done a deal on a 73 Sports roof, its a poverty pack 302 with a c4 in it, and it needs a fair bit of TLC. Its in Bakersfield CA and I'm in NZ so I cant really inspect it myself before I buy it, I've done this sort of thing before and the seller has sent me photo's of the car and a brief video of it running.

It definitely needs rear floorpans, but otherwise seems solid enough, the interior has been removed so you can see the rust easily enough.

The car belongs to one of your members, and he seems a nice guy, what do you guys think? I've never bought a 71-73 before its the car I've been saving for myself, (I've got a lot of history with one!) I'm also going to need to buy some parts before I ship it out of the USA too!

link to video

Lee's 73 rear.jpg

lee 73 side.jpg

lees 73 front 1.jpg

Exterior sheet metal looks pretty solid - should be a fantastic starting point if the floorpans are the worst single problem, sheetmetal-wise.

Keep us posted.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys

Paid $2500 for it, I didn't really expect to buy one on the second day I joined the site, but it seems to be just what I wanted. It had a leak in the rear screen and I guess that rotted out the rear floors, otherwise its meant to be good, I've only seen what you can see on the video, but its definitely better than a lot of "restored" ones I saw on craigslist!.

I didn't see any rot that would worry me did you guys?

For 2500 now days you cannot expect to much...But from the video i did not see anything to make me say..omg run!! .I know leaky rotty cowls can be a big issue..and rear windows do like to cause some isses ..Water and crap likes to build up in the corners.....and the trunks like to fill with water when trunk seals goes out....Still looks to have original AC style fan shroud and you can see the plate where it use to have AC pump ..Looks like they took out the condenser..But over all suprized on alot of the original equipment being in the car "original raido and such"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lee

That sounds great, I'm really happy with the car, and I can't remember being this excited about owning anything for along time :)

I'm really looking forward to working on it.

And Ben i have another old Ford Air Conditioning Compressor that i can give you if your interested in it as well. It didnt come with the car, but its the exact same style.

$2500 for a running sport roof is a good price.
Yeah I'm happy with it, do you know anywhere around Bakersfield I can buy some good second hand parts? Definitely needs a Trunk for a start, and a Deluxe interior would be nice :)

I've been waiting to buy one for 20+ years, getting much harder to find now tho, they seem to be either mint cars or really, really rough projects.

Back