Coyote Install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
65 Mustang
72 Mustang Fastback
Last week we had a chance to install the Coyote 5.0 crate engine and TKO600 trans into our ’72 Fastback. :) The vertical slots in the engine cross member had to be moved forward 1” to correctly position the engine/trans so we could use the Modern Drive Line (MDL) TKO trans member.

At first the master cylinder hit the valve cover so we repositioned it 1” outward (Before repositioning the engine). As it turns out, the 1” of forward engine movement would have allowed us to retain the stock position.:(

Unused holes in the firewall have been filled including the AC/Heater opening. A new A/C unit will be used (See pictures) and the gas pedal is fly by wire, which will make for a clean setup. The box above where you would expect the heater opening to is the computer.

I’m waiting for the clutch pedal from MDL and a hydraulic clutch setup before finalizing the under dash setup.

Front of Engine.JPG

Left side.JPG

Right side.JPG

Interior.JPG

Iduke12,

We ordered the Engine, Trans, Wiring harness, and 5.0 dress up kit direct from a dealers that sells Ford Racing parts. Not a bad deal when compared against equal HP small blocks.

That is awesome looking. Where did you pick up the Coyote, a wrecked vehicle or brand new? Please keep posting progress.

What will you be doing for headers/manifolds?
TommyK,

The engine came with stock Mustang shorty headers seen in the two side views. Both follow the contour of the engine and have no clearance issues with the aprons or frame rails. I will likely have them powder coated to prevent rust before having the custom dual exhaust bent to fit the rear coilover suspension setup. Ford does a great job with this crate engine, it's basically turn kit if you purchase the accessories kit (Pedal, wiring, air box, etc.). The shorty header come with the O2 sensor holes.

We had a custom aluminum radiator made that uses stock mounts, two electric fans, and fits the 5.0 radiator hoses. Pulleys are from March - :(. Love the look, but not the customer service. Took them weeks to send the front runner kit to only find out the water pump pulley design changed in 2013 (4 bolts to 3). Another 5 weeks go by and we had to call several times to get the new pulley that was expected 2 weeks ago.

71_resurrection,

You are looking at around 16K if you do the work… That includes a number of parts needed for the conversion that you don't see. That may seem like a lot, but it's all new, EFI, a 5-speed, and going to get the attention at shows. :cool:

This is what I want to do! Great thread Mike!

Looks killer!

Looks like a great project. I would like to look at doing a similiar install in a late 80's fox body someday in the future.

Just as a side note and not to steal any of your thunder here is a similiar install from the shop that did my body work into a 72 vert. Just some more info. for yourself or anyone else reading this thread.

http://www.mustangcentralga.com/coyote-purr-dee.html

Update: My Dad is visiting the next two weeks. If all goes well, all prep work will be complete allowing us to go to paint. He's decided on a nice electric Blue with pearl flakes.

I had the shop down the road run a 3" x-pipe, Spin Tech mufflers, and over axle pipes. They had to drop down to 2.5" exhaust over the axle to clear the coil overs and sway bar. We would have liked to see it exit the tail pan slightly higher, but there is no room. Like most of the parts, pipes will be finished after mock up. The new pipes will allow us to move the O2 sensors 10-12" beyond the shorty headers.

The upgraded wiring and computer have been mounted and we are running wires to get a rough idea of thru holes needed. The Lizard Skin ceramic coating arrived today - We plan on spraying the floor, ceiling, and firewall to reduce heat.

As you can see, the new seat platforms are coming out. I didn't read up on this until earlier this week. I know understand they were for designed for a coupe. These have been lowered .6" and will be moved back 2". Waiting for the carpet to arrive to test fit how far back they can be moved.

Loving the Coyotte engine more by the day. The engine bay wiring is limited to a few cables that hide under the top cover. So far nothing needs to be mounted to the side walls.

Underside.JPG

Exhaust over rear.JPG

rear exh.JPG

Int.JPG

Eng bay.JPG

Back