4V closed chambered heads on

I was hesitant to remove my 2V heads and put on 4V closed chambered heads on my 71 M code (previous owner had removed the 4V heads). I had read a lot about the 2V heads having better low end torque and street manners plus the closed chambered 4V needs higher octane fuel. ..but I went ahead and did it.

All I can tell you is I like the performance with the 4V heads MUCH better, I'm running the same 92 octane ethanol free fuel and same carb, there is no pinging, no low end torque issue and I can tell (seat of the pants) there is more power through out the RPM range.

The 2V heads had less than 5,000 miles since their rebuild so I don't think that was an issue in the comparison.

Of course I had to also swap out the intake and exhaust manifolds but I went with the same Edlebrock Performer intake but a 4V verses 2V and swapped out the stock 2V exhaust manifolds with 4V stock manifolds. So it's apples to apples with the exception of 4V verses 2V.

My personal experience - 4V closed chambered heads over 2V heads, yeah baby.

My thanks to Don of OMS for finding me a set of great date matching 4V heads for my 71 M code.

Jim

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will my 2v headers bolt up to 4v heads?

Yes they will bolt up - but they will leak at the top around the header bolts.

- Paul

I went 4v cc and love them. I am still running the lower speed torque converter so I think I suffer a little off the line but it keeps me from spinning the tires too far. Once I get up in the RPMs it's like a rocket. So much fun.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

I was hesitant to remove my 2V heads and put on 4V closed chambered heads on my 71 M code (previous owner had removed the 4V heads). I had read a lot about the 2V heads having better low end torque and street manners plus the closed chambered 4V needs higher octane fuel. ..but I went ahead and did it.

All I can tell you is I like the performance with the 4V heads MUCH better, I'm running the same 92 octane ethanol free fuel and same carb, there is no pinging, no low end torque issue and I can tell (seat of the pants) there is more power through out the RPM range.

The 2V heads had less than 5,000 miles since their rebuild so I don't think that was an issue in the comparison.

Of course I had to also swap out the intake and exhaust manifolds but I went with the same Edlebrock Performer intake but a 4V verses 2V and swapped out the stock 2V exhaust manifolds with 4V stock manifolds. So it's apples to apples with the exception of 4V verses 2V.

My thanks to Don of OMS for finding me a set of great date matching 4V heads for my 71 M code.

Jim

Jim, Just wondering where you buy your gas. Been looking for a source in my area.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Jim

Jim, Just wondering where you buy your gas. Been looking for a source in my area.

I get mine on Lilly road in Olympia, here's a complete list of gas stations in WA that offer ethanol free gas. If there list is up to date there are 196, not all of them offer super ethanol free gas though.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA

Jim

Jim

I get mine on Lilly road in Olympia, here's a complete list of gas stations in WA that offer ethanol free gas. If there list is up to date there are 196, not all of them offer super ethanol free gas though.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA

Thx Jim, I see a few in my area and will check them out.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

How much did you spend? For $2500 (fully set up) you could have bought CHI 3v alum heads and kept your exhaust manifolds...and used a number of real sweet intakes. They flow thru the roof!

Awesome Jim!! Sounds like you loving the new combo, I have drove both 2v and 4v clevelands..But drove my 4v for 20 years..I never had a issue with low end power with my 4v heads.

How much did you spend? For $2500 (fully set up) you could have bought CHI 3v alum heads and kept your exhaust manifolds...and used a number of real sweet intakes. They flow thru the roof!

I paid $600 for the heads and $800 to have them rebuilt with stainless one piece valves and seats hardened, so $1,400. I did look at alum heads but decided to go the route of keeping it as original as possible, Don was able to find date correct heads for my car. My ram air limits my intake choices. I did stray from originality with the Edelbrock performer 4V intake though. If it wasn't a numbers matching engine, I would have went with a grate engine when I started the project, but to separate them after 43 years would be wrong.

Jim

Awesome Jim!! Sounds like you loving the new combo, I have drove both 2v and 4v clevelands..But drove my 4v for 20 years..I never had a issue with low end power with my 4v heads.

Yep the new combo is better than I expected, you're assurance that there was no drivability issues with 4V cc heads is what convinced me to give it a try.

Jim

Jim

Welcome to the real world!:D I think the chevy guys must have started the mith that the 2V heads where better for the street so there 454s would stop getting beat by a small block Ford.:cool:

- Mike

My ford racer mates always say 2v for the first half the track and 4V across the top of the track. Meaning 2V for ETs (to a point of course )and 4V for MPH. I am not saying they are right and they are only speaking about tuff street cars but you hear it a bit from a lot of other ford guys that race too. All as I know is if its blown its goin :P

Not a critism in anyway of either head just passing on some anecdotal comments

He has all the vices I admire and none of the virtues I despise

$1400 bucks sounds like an awsome deal! Well done!

Agree, especially since they're date correct for my engine.

Before rebuild

!1.jpg.c49e30272db724a61c94a985f7781dea.jpg

After rebuild

1.jpg.e094ffaf5ba974e5ce8949726ff44081.jpg

Jim

Those are very Nice! Good Job..

'72 Mustang , well, its black???

Did the shop give you a guesstimate on what your compression ratio is now? Does it feel snappier with the higher compression ratio?

1973 Mach 1 Q code 351 4V, 9A paint, standard interior, 3.50 rear, C6 trans.

Did the shop give you a guesstimate on what your compression ratio is now? Does it feel snappier with the higher compression ratio?

The shop estimated a compression ratio of 10.5:1 and yes it is noticeably snappier with cc heads on it. The machine shop had two other Clevelands they were rebuilding at the same time they were working on mine. The new owner is a big time Ford guy and talks Cleveland.

I was concerned about detonation issues with the increased compression using 92 octane fuel, but it's not an issue.

Jim

Jim

Will my 2v headers bolt up to 4v heads?

The heads will not bolt up the intake will not either. Further, I had to use some hammer based modification to my hooker headers to get them to fit when I switched to the 4v heads.

I wish I would have just spent the money on Aluminum 3v heads.

Before rebuild

After rebuild

Those look awesome! Do you have the rebuilt heads in the house on the coffee table for that picture? Looks like your couch in the background?

Before rebuild

After rebuild

Those look awesome! Do you have the rebuilt heads in the house on the coffee table for that picture? Looks like your couch in the background?

Yeah, the wife was in D.C. for a week on business, I took advantage of it to get some work done in the warmth, rather than the cold garage! Of course it was all back in the garage by the time she got back.

Jim

7.jpg.60f14491e4eaa887a3b552d4e8ae57a5.jpg

Jim

Nice job but I reckon the sun glare from the dash will drive you nuts ...ask me how I know!

LOL, yep took it off after the first sunny day, sprayed it with satin black and then scuffed it with a scuff pad after it had dried, lesson learned.

Jim

Well done Jim, nice job.

So now you can use unlead gas with no problem for you exaust valves and seats. Before that you added some additive in your gas?

Manu

Before rebuild

After rebuild

Mustang, beer and rock'nroll