Favourite car movies

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
Maybe it's been done before. But here we go. These are mine

Running from the guns

Running on empty

2 lane black top

Vanishing point

Mad Max

Gumball Rally

Death proof

Heaps more but these are in the top of my list.

Mad Max 2 at the top of my list, then Vanishing point.

Honourable mention goes to Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry

dirtymary-header1.jpg

Gone in 60 seconds (1974)

Smokey and the Bandid

Dirty Mary crazy Larry

Vanishing Point

I never understood the appeal of Two Lane Blacktop. I waited for that movie to appear on DVD for years and I've watched it 3 times hoping to find something I had been missing the first time but it bores me to death.

Is there something I am missing after all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a shame I was only a kiddle in the 80's and growing up through 90's, teenager into the 00's.

I'm jealous because many of you have fond memories of mad max and bullitt, halicki's gone in 60 seconds etc.

All my generation got was a remake of Gone in sixty, and a slew of fast n furious. :(

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

Got to be Hot Rod.

Cheesy and made for TV, but you can't argue with the plot: guy builds hemi Plymouth, guy wrecks hemi Plymouth on his way to the summer nationals at the hands of dirty mayor, guy gets given Willys coupe to his hemi in...

Also, check out Catch Me if You Can for some good old 80's movie fun, but with street racing...

Hi Guys

Fear Is The Key

Cannonball also called Car Quake(no not the Cannonball run!) With David Carradine

Vanishing Point (its just perfect)

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry (chasefest)

The Blues Brothers

The Itallian Job (dont mention the remake!)

Gone in 60 (ditto)

The Driver

Phantasm 1+2

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

Dazed and Confused

Used Cars (genius, must see movie!)

Running on Empty

The Getaway (Steve McQueen, cmon this had more car action than Bullit)

Van Nuys Blvd (Vans, Playmates, Nuff Said)

Brannigan

McQ

Running From the Guns

Gumball Rally

Midnight Auto Spares

White Lightning

The Wraith

Theres Loads More I love them All, but I do run a facebook page dedicated to Greatest Car Movies Ever

https://www.facebook.com/greatestcarmoviesever

Cannonball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6umg8UbQI

This is just genius

Smokey and The Bandit

Used Cars

White Lightning

Bullitt

Vanishing Point

Need For Speed

American Graffiti

Cannon Ball Run

Gone in 60 seconds (original and remake)

Greased Lightning

Really? No Bullitt?

Dazed and Confused also features plenty of cars.
I was gonna mention it but I didn´t think it qualified as a "car movie" as such. It has this legendary car chase but the film does not revolve around cars. Except for the chase it is not car related at all.

But, I must say its´one of my top ten favorites movies of all times.

I like the Camaro with bigas flares in Aloha Bobby and Rose. I've been gathering stuff to do a tribute car for a couple of years. I had a Camaro for the task in '10 but my wife took it from me. She said it was too nice to cut up. She replaced with a pair of cars in pieces.

Is it a car movie? Some of my friends say the car is the only thing that movie has going for it. Tough crowd.

Besides the obvious choices, I like:

Corvette Summer

Several Brosnan-era "Bond" flicks

Cobra

Shaker's Run

Ronin

King of the Mountain

Days of Thunder

The California Kid

Christine

Duel

Last edited:
I remember watching "Last American Hero" a few years ago. Don't remember much if it though but it had a great opening sequence of a 67-68 Fastback tooling on dirt roads.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned "Diamonds are Forever". It might have been the first movies with our 71's in it. It is the movie that made me fall in love with the Mach 1. Before that I can't ever really remember thinking about a Mustang. I thought there were great car scenes in that movie.

Well there was one other time. My parents argued about whether to buy a new 67 Mustang or a new 67 Camaro. My dad wanted the Mustang and my mother wanted the new for 67 Camaro. My mother won and they bought a new 67 RS Camaro with the fancy molded interior and a 327 2V, 210HP engine. That turned out to be my first car! I traded it for a new 72 Gold Glow Mach 1.

Hi Guys

Fear Is The Key

Cannonball also called Car Quake(no not the Cannonball run!) With David Carradine

Vanishing Point (its just perfect)

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry (chasefest)

The Blues Brothers

The Itallian Job (dont mention the remake!)

Gone in 60 (ditto)

The Driver

Phantasm 1+2

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

Dazed and Confused

Used Cars (genius, must see movie!)

Running on Empty

The Getaway (Steve McQueen, cmon this had more car action than Bullit)

Van Nuys Blvd (Vans, Playmates, Nuff Said)

Brannigan

McQ

Running From the Guns

Gumball Rally

Midnight Auto Spares

White Lightning

The Wraith

Theres Loads More I love them All, but I do run a facebook page dedicated to Greatest Car Movies Ever
Hey-I checked out your FB page. I kind of like Heaven's Burning with Russell Crowe. It has a nice odd 80's feel to it. Dead End Drive In has it's charm too, but probably way too 80's new wave for most on here. But the setting is a nice appetizer before watching Mad Max.

A couple to add from the way back...Drive In (70's cheese, may or may not be funny...I don't trust the memories of my 12 year old self).

Two Joe Don Baker flicks...Speedtrap and Checkered Flag or Crash. The Last Chase with Lee Majors. And the piece-de-resistance...SUPERVAN!

One that I always did like was filmed here locally called Stingray with Patrick Wayne and Christopher Mitchum (the sons of two more well known actors....)

Hey-I checked out your FB page. I kind of like Heaven's Burning with Russell Crowe. It has a nice odd 80's feel to it. Dead End Drive In has it's charm too, but probably way too 80's new wave for most on here. But the setting is a nice appetizer before watching Mad Max.

A couple to add from the way back...Drive In (70's cheese, may or may not be funny...I don't trust the memories of my 12 year old self).

Two Joe Don Baker flicks...Speedtrap and Checkered Flag or Crash. The Last Chase with Lee Majors. And the piece-de-resistance...SUPERVAN!

One that I always did like was filmed here locally called Stingray with Patrick Wayne and Christopher Mitchum (the sons of two more well known actors....)

Hi

I included Speedtrap ages ago I love that film, and Supervan Rocks, Heaven is Burning is one of the next films to go on after Mad Max (I didnt want to include the obvious ones first) I'm not sure I've seen the Last Chase? and Crash is included but I suspect its a different film to the one you mentioned.

Man! Dead end Drive in I have been sort of convinced I'm the only person in the world to have seen this, I'm not too sure about the quality of it but I love its punk style!

Have you seen Stone? now thats the Mad Max appetizer, its basicly a pre Max Biker gang starring all the gang, Toecutter and Knightrider are the leaders , and Grant Paige even did all the Stunts!!!

Join up and I bet you'll find a couple of movies you've never seen before :)

Back